Mortgage costs

Princess Morripov

Re: Mortgage costs

Post by Princess Morripov »

It depends on how much the mortgage is for though, non?

<snip>

I will snip that in a bit but I would genuinely fix if I could (but I can't for any of the above as I can't get a better rate/I want to sell)
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I guess that was a stupid question really. I think I will have to fix.

The valuation chap has been around (2 hours late FFS) and I have a feeling he won't value it as much as the mortgage advisor did as he said things haven't gone up a lot. If he undervalues it I won't get the mortgage that has been secured for me. So I'm a bit stuck really.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Beatrix

Post by Beatrix »

It might be worth asking if it’s possible to move to an interest only repayment mortgage (sorry not actually certain what they’re called) for a year or two then reassess? Rather than fix for a longer period. It would mean lower monthly payments which might give you a bit of breathing room and comfort. Interest rates are predicted to peak at 4.5% and perhaps best not to fix on the way up and do it when things are a bit more stable and therefore mortgage offers are perhaps a bit more reasonable.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

An interest only mortgage will do exactly as it says, it will cover the interest but not the repayment of the loan and so costs less on a monthly basis but leaves you with more to pay off if you carry on with it until the term ends. Presuming you haven't set up a savings vehicle to cover this.

A repyament mortgage will clear both interest and debt at the same time, which obviously costs more.
Luna

Post by Luna »

Definitely switch to interest only for the time being. If you are going to inherit in the future it's not such a pressure to get things paid off.
Beatrix

Post by Beatrix »

Yes, I was suggesting it as a way to reduce the immediate financial burden now. Not for long term.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Totally get that and its a good idea.

I was more explaining the difference between the terminologies that were a bit mixed up previously.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Apparently my equity isn't high enough for interest only.

I can't afford a shorter fixed rate either. I am considering going down a tracker rate as when it goes down it goes down. But if interest rates are unlikely to get back to where they were (I had a 2.6% or something) maybe I just accept this is life for the next few years!
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored