Economy drive

Lily
Picker-Lily

Re: Economy drive

Post by Lily »

Thank you... let's hope it lasts. :look: The nice thing is I haven't had the urge to spend; I almost get a breathless feeling about it and I haven't had that at all.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Just to keep tabs on myself: I bought the make up I'd looked forward to buying yesterday, and as there was a discount offered I bought a brow gel too. I realise this is veering into dangerous territory, so I have just taken it back and added to my list to buy when I get paid at the end of this month.

Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

It's certainly become a habit: "A discount? I must buy it, because basically that means I'm saving money!"

Skips

Post by Skips »

Well done Lily, sounds like some really positive steps there.

We're plodding on, I've managed to stick to the budget last month and we've made a small overpayment on the loan. I got a tax rebate which means more money in my payslip this month but will mean less universal credit next month so I've put that in a savings account.

We went to London over the weekend but I had saved up spending money and we stuck to it also, even though it meant cheaper eats than we would usually go for. Overall I'm pleased, I wish we could clear things faster but I still want to be able to enjoy life and I'm not willing to compromise everything - I often read the debt free wannabe board on MSE and they seem to give up any kind of a life, for my mental wellbeing I couldnt be that strict.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Well done on your progress, too!

I feel very depressed reading those boards. They fry up their compost bucket into a patty to eat for the next 4 weeks. I admire them, but I would rather be a bit skint than live like that.

viggy

Post by viggy »

I'm going to join you if that's OK - I had a vague blitz of direct debit stuff at the end of last year, but Christmas, various 40th celebrations and now some renovation/decorating that keeps growing arms and legs means I have £3k on my credit card that shouldn't be there. I'm also sick of earning what should be OK money, but always chasing my tail.

I've started by mapping out the money I NEED to spend between now and payday and am going to try and be really strict about any other spend and add it to the list as I go, just to get an idea of where my money is going. I used to be really good at getting by on very little, but motherhood and an expensive, lengthy commute has meant that for a lot of the last 6.5 years, my attitude to money has been "ach, fuck it".
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Would you like me to send the spreadsheet over that Jet did me? It's so useful!

olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Lily wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:37 pm Well done on your progress, too!

I feel very depressed reading those boards. They fry up their compost bucket into a patty to eat for the next 4 weeks. I admire them, but I would rather be a bit skint than live like that.
I find MSE so demotivating and depressing as they can also make you feel like you’re not doing as well as you could be as you still have the occasional splurge.

I follow the Financial diet on Instagram and they have a nice mix of motivational and helpful tips.
Skips

Post by Skips »

I will check that out. The people on MSE are extreme, and I wouldn't want them to dissect my money as they would tell me to take fewer holidays and go to the theatre less. :look:
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Have we seen Jet lately? Where is Jet?
Malan
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

She's been posting recently. Definitely in the last few days I think.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Ah ok. I will stand down (neatly and economically)
Malan
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

I hope Jet’s face hasn’t fallen off! :panic:
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

My Sweaty Betty order turned up and it's all going back. I remembered some of the posts on here and thought:
- do I need these?
- do any of these spark joy?
- would I pay full price for these?
- have I got anything I can use instead?

It gave me a nice "clean" feeling not needing to keep something, if that makes sense.

Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

How is everyone doing?

This is a bit of a strange time and having chatted to Mr & Mrs Bruv I'm going to take the chance to pay some extra money off my debt. I've moved it all over to my brother and we can decide at the end of each month whether to keep it in savings or to throw it at my card. I won't be going out or spending much on petrol or anything else, so it's a good test. I am nervous about my salary suddenly stopping so am not wanting to pay it off my card straightaway, so giving it to my brother ensures that it is safe but that I don't have my hands on it. I want to be in a position where I have savings to fall back on should the worst happen and I'm nowhere near that but hopefully in a few months I could get there.

The main problem is that I don't want to risk going to big supermarkets so am shopping locally - butcher, fish man, fruit & veg store - but living above a Co Op means that most of my stuff should be average price and I will be saving money by not eating out, going to the cinema, etc.

Has coronavirus affected how you're dealing with/handling money?

Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

We are saving a fortune as the only thing we are spending money on is food.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I've spunked an absolute fortune on garden materials, and my grocery bill has gone up but I reckon we'll end up about neutral what with saving on eating out, clothes, general crap, petrol etc.
viggy

Post by viggy »

I've had some biggish outlays like a new printer and new cheap tablet for BM for homeschooling stuff, and my food bills have rocketed, but it should all balance out since I won't need to pay for my commute. I should really be able to save money through all this, but to do so I need to stop buying the little things like extra craft supplies to keep BM amused. I'm keeping it all tracked though, to try and keep a handle on things.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

How is everyone doing?

I am very proud to announce I didn't use any of my savings or put anything on my c/card last month. I've had a massive misery-spend :ella: so I've got to send stuff back, and it's embarrassing to admit how normal this pattern of spending had become for me, but I did want to mark this very small milestone!

rosy

Post by rosy »

Well done! Send the stuff back and feel the freedom (like Braveheart without the anomalous blue paint) :))
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.