Wills

smalex

Re: Wills

Post by smalex »

Lily wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:28 pm
Luce wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:47 am Does your SIL have any siblings, Lily? If so, I’d get that agreed and written down because, rightly or wrongly, your SIL may have strong feelings that her children should stay in her side of the family.
Yes, and she does - but not in that way!

Smal, that's awful. What happened in the end?
I Don't know tbh. The partner did die so I think that sorted that aspect of it. Its another story and makes me sound very bad but she became incredibly difficult to be around (not entirely surprising) so I haven't re-initiated contact after covid
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Shoe wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:40 pm
sally maclennane wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:49 pm I need to do this, and consider J now. I own the house (well, me and the building society do!) and I should leave it either to my brothers or my nephew and nieces, which J knows about and agrees with. However, I wouldn't want him to be kicked out straight away if anything happens to me. I think I can add in something to hive him some time to make arrangements.

I do need to speak to a lawyer, as I also need to check he can't make any claim on the house if we split up :look: I'm fairly sure he can't as we're not married but probably best to check #romantic
I need to do exactly this. I don't currently have a will and someone said recently that due to the time we've lived together S would be considered my common law spouse and given the house. 🙄

I .
No,. But there is something called" beneficial interest" which could favour S, and that might be what they meant.
Malan
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

Ella77 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:11 pm
Zoomer wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:52 pm
sally maclennane wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:59 am I actually think he'd have a point. Why should his kids get less because they're one of four, rather than one of two as their cousins are?
I actually think your Mum's way is fairest. The son chose to have 4 kids. Why should his siblings' children lose out because of that?
Good point.
A helped his parents with their Wills a couple of years ago and the split was agreed to be 1/3 to each child (A, and his two sisters) rather than divvying up between grandchildren as that seemed the fairest way to do it - one sister has no children and the other has two. I mean everyone he is related to is a fucking crank but that’s by the by :lol:

Also they were asking him to be executor of the will so he did say don’t expect me to take on that responsibility if you haven’t been fair and just split it equally (I think they would have just left everything to the useless sister that still lives at home if not challenged as they view it that “everyone else is ok”).

Which is a hard one really, as it is your money to do whatever you want with but really I just think fair division regardless of circs is the best way to do it. (If you generally like everyone :lol: )