Wills Mk II

overthehill

Wills Mk II

Post by overthehill »

I have a little conundrum. My mother's Will makes no provision for my [half]sister, S, other than the bequest of a grandfather clock that was given to her by my sister's paternal grandfather, and a share of her personal chattels (house contents, car, jewellery, etc.).* Unfortunately, the Will was written a few years ago and the grandfather clock has since been given to my cousin, L.

In fact, mum offered the clock to S a year or so ago, but S was only interested in selling it, as she said she didn't have space. Mum wanted the clock to stay in the family, but she needed space in her living room to accommodate a riser chair. So, the clock was given to L.

Anyway, S has now read the Will and has emailed me saying that that the clock was one of the most valuable things in the house, that she has nothing from her father's side of the family, and that mum didn't give her enough notice to arrange a van to collect it when it was offered.

I'm inclined to believe mum's side of the story - that S only wanted to sell the clock. She has a small flat and would almost certainly have nowhere to put the clock and, whenever I've broached the subject of 'her share' of mum's things, she has told me that - apart from two small pieces of furniture - she doesn't have room for them and wants to sell them.

S says she's hurt by mum giving away the clock and wants L to give up a painting that mum left him 'in exchange'. However, the painting in question is a worthless copy of a portrait, the original of which belonged to our maternal grandparents and has long-since been sold. S knows the portrait is worthless. It's not even a very good copy. It has nothing to do with her father's family, and it has been promised to L forever. S doesn't like L and he really wants the painting.

L is an Executor of mum's estate, along with me and R. He will meet S at the ash-scattering on Monday, so I felt I had to say something. While I understand why S is hurt, she has no real right to ask L to give up the only thing mum left him. He and mum were very fond of each other, and the fact that she has picked something that is worthless, and that she has never shown any previous interest in, smacks of spite. Given that S has previously said she wants to sell her share of mum's chattels, I'm not sure what to do for the best - if anything.

*S inherits from various trusts on her father's side, so is, financially, well looked after.
"Inagh to China Motorcycle Ride" blog, if you're interested: www.inaghtochina.com :))
Zoomer

Re: Wills Mk II

Post by Zoomer »

Leave it to S and L to sort out between them, OTH! This is not your problem. Just don't get involved. I know you feel you need to fo something as you're an executor, but so is L and this is really his problem to solve, not yours.
If S says anything to you about it, tell her she needs to sort it out with L.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

100x this OTH, keep as clear as you can.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Yes, I'd stay out of this, let L deal with it. If S complains to you, make sympathetic noises but don't get involved.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

I'll join the chorus and agree that you'd be setting yourself up for grief if you got involved.
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

Zoomer wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:13 pm Leave it to S and L to sort out between them, OTH! This is not your problem. Just don't get involved. I know you feel you need to fo something as you're an executor, but so is L and this is really his problem to solve, not yours.
If S says anything to you about it, tell her she needs to sort it out with L.
This was my default response to S - that she needs to speak to L about it. But - and my reason for posting here - I'm wondering if that's entirely fair to L. It isn't his fault that mum gave him the clock, having first offered it to S, and my gut feeling is that he shouldn't have to give up the portrait. If the clock has still been here, S would have said exactly what she has said about the other furniture - that she would sell it. This isn't about the clock or the portrait. It's all about her relationship with mum. I'm now slightly regretting that I suggested she speak to L as I really don't think he should be guilt-tripped into giving up something he really wanted.
"Inagh to China Motorcycle Ride" blog, if you're interested: www.inaghtochina.com :))
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

In the nicest possible way, it doesn't matter what you think - this is between the two of them, L is an adult and can stand up for himself.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I would stay out of but also privately say to L that he has every right to that portrait, so just to ignore S if she tries to guilt trip him.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

OK. I'm rather hoping that S won't dare to mention it on Monday. And then, if she whinges to me and R, after the ashes have been scattered and everyone has gone home - as is likely - I'll just repeat that it's between her and L. Anyway, thanks for your reassurance.
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

We scattered mum's ashes today. Before L arrived, S confided in me that she didn't have the courage to speak to him about the clock. In the nicest possible way, I told her it was probably for the best and, although I could understand her being hurt, it was just 'one of those things'. S admitted that she only wanted the clock in order to sell it and the subject was closed. Phew!