Mountain Goat

Re: which cheese?

Post by Mountain Goat »

Do you like wine? :lol:
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

That all sounds delicious, Goat. Can I ask where you order your cheese from, please?

Absley - your celeriac dish sounds fabulous! I hope you manage to recreate it to your satisfaction :ready:
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Today's cheese box was courtesy of Abel and Cole, some of the other cheese was from Farmdrop, which is my favoured cheese source at present.

It's nearly ready Scribble, come over. You can pick the caraway seeds off the buns, they're only on the top.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

OK, I am comparing to the beautiful instagram photo and my celeriac/sauce proportions are just a tiny bit off. :lol:

This was delicious, although of course I haven't the slightest idea how it compares to the original dish. Mr Goat was very keen. Pretty sure the original dish was summer savory, which is a softer herb than winter savory, which is woody: so I put the savory in the sauce towards the end rather than just adding it on top. It was quite subtle, I'd like to try with summer savory and more of it. My plant is still a baby. Cheeses were pecorino, a little parmesan, and Highmoor cheese which is smeared rind.

We had it with a salad and some rye rolls with caraway seeds - while I know caraway seeds are a bit of divisive flavour, I did note while mopping up the sauce with the bread that the caraway tasted bloody excellent with (this) cheese sauce.
IMG_20190318_211026327 (1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
absley

Post by absley »

Oh, I'm sorry I missed your musings yesterday, Goat, but am so pleased you ended up with something you liked.

It's such an unusual (to me) dish that I'd never have thought of, but I love it so much and am delighted I now have a go to celeriac option. I had my parmesan version with a fennel, courgette ribbon & lemon salad plus nopi roasted carrots ( honey, oo, garlic & coriander seeds) and bread for mopping.

I might try a third version this weekend, as we have friends coming round for supper. I could also try some caraway in/ with it...

eta. I quite like the idea of a stinky feta plus a milder something.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Now I'm intrigued :)) I absolutely love caraway.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I wish I had tried the original to have a better idea of its pinnacle. :)) Feta is interesting but would be quite different to what I had and I'm curious.

The caraway was lovely-if-you-like-caraway but I wonder how much it working depends on the cheese you use. I used it before I knew what my cheese sauce would taste like so that was luck, as I was just going on a generic Scandi theme for relative safety.

Also I wanted to froth my sauce more, but as I had put the savory in the sauce while it was cooking, I couldn't froth violently without blending that in. Tiny things but can make such a difference.
absley

Post by absley »

I would say go to Stockholm and try it, Goat, but I bet the menu has moved on.

I've realised my weekend guests are dairy free so I can't try it again just yet. Doubly annoying as I have a general cheese hankering now, as well.

Eta. my frothing action has also been below par each time.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I felt like it needed more cream, less liquid to do a good froth, but also felt like more cream would have numbed the flavour down too much at that point. Probably should have reduced the initial liquid more, but the taste felt right. I enjoy trying to puzzle it out though, and sometimes I enjoy terrible mistakes for that reason. :lol: "Dinner's horrible! But now I understand why, that's why I'm looking so pleased with myself while presenting you with carbon".

Bloody dairy free bastards. :))
absley

Post by absley »

Oh, I love that too, Goat, but usually use it as an excuse to eat out rather than serve the carbon. :))

And yes, bastards indeed! Although it keeps me on track with trying out a new cookery book.