Tomato sauce

Topcat

Tomato sauce

Post by Topcat »

I still have about 8 million cherry tomatoes to get rid of and I've got enough chilli sauce to see me through the apocalypse and beyond. 😂.

Does anybody have a really good tomato sauce that I can slow cook them with? Preferably without having to peel the mofos if that's possible.

Cheers!
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Re: Tomato sauce

Post by Kenickie »

Could you roast them up and then either freeze or preserve in jars with oil?
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

I normally just cook onions and garlic with tomatoes and whatever herbs along with a bit of seasoning and a hint of sweetness. Cook forever then if you want to, you can blitz and strain.

How do you make the chilli sauce?
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

That's the kind of thing I've been looking at Bramble, Abe yes, Ken that's the plan I just wondered if there is a nice way to do it really.

Chilli sauce is basic, a load of white wine vinegar, onion, peppers, garlic, smoked paprika, various chillies for varying heat levels all cooked down to a pulp and blitzed. It'll keep forever with the vinegar that's in it, but I don't think I can do that in a basic tomato sauce.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I meant just roast them up as is, without turning into a sauce?
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Fry off some pancetta or bacon, and then throw in a shedload (at the very least 3 punnets, preferably more) of halved cherry tomatoes, some ground black pepper and some chili flakes and then walk away. Let them all cook down sloooowly til they're a thick sauce (you may want to squash them down occasionally) and throw the pancetta back in. Portion up and stick in the freezer.

When defrosted, stick in a saucepan, bring to a simmer, make wells for eggs and stick on the lid. Poach for four minutes. Eat on sourdough with optional avocado spread underneath :ready:
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

That's a plan. I'll do that work a load of them now. 5 kilos to go. :mog:

I don't know why I'm so bothered about this but I don't want to throw any of the little bastards away. 😂
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Derek Nimmo wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:33 pm Fry off some pancetta or bacon, and then throw in a shedload (at the very least 3 punnets, preferably more) of halved cherry tomatoes, some ground black pepper and some chili flakes and then walk away. Let them all cook down sloooowly til they're a thick sauce (you may want to squash them down occasionally) and throw the pancetta back in. Portion up and stick in the freezer.

When defrosted, stick in a saucepan, bring to a simmer, make wells for eggs and stick on the lid. Poach for four minutes. Eat on sourdough with optional avocado spread underneath :ready:
Nice one!
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Why have you ended up with eight million cherry tomatoes, you daft mog?
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

I would say that it's my standard brunch recipe, but then you wouldn't try it on principle 😉
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

I still maintain that brunch can do one. 🖕 :))

I was hoodwinked into purchasing many thousands of them by a greengrocer and it's now become my life mission to use them all before they go off.

I might have to buy another freezer though, I'm almost full up.
AshleyX

Post by AshleyX »

We had millions and millions this year from the greenhouse so made loads of tomato sauce which we’ve frozen in bags (that I rinse and reuse) and use for pastas etc. No peeling necessary!

Put on a roasting tray with onions and (unpeeled) garlic, drizzle with plenty olive oil, salt and pepper, thyme and oregano. Once roasted, squeeze out the garlic from their skins. Simmer in a pan, add a little red wine or balsamic vinegar and sugar to taste. Blitz in a blender (I used a nutribullet) with a load of basil. Bag up and freeze.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Cheers! I'll try that too. :))
AshleyX

Post by AshleyX »

Welcome, enjoy :)). Derek’s sounds amazing too, thanks, am going to use that for next year’s glut.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

I've been cooking tomatoes for five hours now. 😂
AshleyX

Post by AshleyX »

Yeah that was me a couple of months ago :lol:
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

To get the sweetening and wine hit in one I sometimes use port in a tomato sauce and it works really well, not a lot maybe half a glass or less, then leave the sauce reducing for an age. Am pondering making one before Crimblemas and then have some frozen really thin so I can break off bits for little pots to dip into with bread or mozzarella on cheesemas. Also a good reuse along the lines of Derek's brunch is to use it for menemen, the Turkish breakfast as opposed to the rap singer, just add sliced peppers and onions until cooked and then whisked eggs stirred in at the end, as well as a good dose of chilli flakes.

Why do so many people have dinner in the middle of the day but call it Brunch, when a combination of breakfast and that are had late morning, shouldn't it be Linner or Dunch?