Novelty cakes

happyhighlandcoo

Re: Novelty cakes

Post by happyhighlandcoo »

That's excellent piping and has a good bit of Wimpy Kid style about it.

Indeed, Smalex. Certainly not what you'd have expected to make!
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

Please can someone recommend a good chocolate cake for decorating? The one that I make tends to sink a lot, which is fine but I'm looking to make a taller cake this year. Thanks!
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

Pokemon Sun and Moon cake for J's 8th birthday! (next year, remind me I HATE fondant)
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

purple_dress wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:52 pm Please can someone recommend a good chocolate cake for decorating? The one that I make tends to sink a lot, which is fine but I'm looking to make a taller cake this year. Thanks!
I’ve only just seen this but I find this recipe works well https://charlotteslivelykitchen.com/cho ... hday-cake/

ETA and that’s a great cake.
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

That's the recipe I used!
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

:lol:
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

It worked really well. The cakes were all flat and easy to layer. Much better than the other recipe I was using and really chocolatey!
happyhighlandcoo

Post by happyhighlandcoo »

Oh! That chocolate cake looks perfect, so dense and moist. Your icing skills are amazing. Did you cut all of those complicated shapes freehand or did you have a template?
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

Thanks! I made my own templates for the fondant shapes and pokeballs and the crystals were done in a silicon mould using candy melts.

And the pokeballs are covering where there were imperfections.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

That is so good!
AshleyX

Post by AshleyX »

That’s fantastic! So neat. And I could just go a piece just now, I’ve been craving home-made cake. Shop-bought just doesn’t cut it.
Jet

Post by Jet »

That looks brilliant!

I have a rather complex Minecraft brief from S (someone in netherite armor missing a chest plate burning in lava while the chest plate is in the furnace but not quite ready yet) :uhh:

Not ideal that we are away until the day before when I need to make the cake - I don’t know where to start. I did preempt the request and have some Minecraft animal toys that could be on top as well.

I guess I could do uniced chocolate cake with green buttercream on top to be a grass block? Then make the rest out of fondant? I hate fondant so avoiding icing the whole thing in it would be preferable.
Half-ten?! Half-ten?! I've never been up at half-ten! What happens?
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

M’s only brief was a nod to Marvel and I briefly looked at making fondant figures and then remembered I can’t decorate for shit. :lol:

I bought the little sugar decorations but M was delighted with the inside.
7AA27854-81F4-485F-A868-54CB4F12C5BF.jpeg
78EE3249-14D4-45E2-AD89-90FA6A69E18D.jpeg
Unfortunately I didn’t think ahead and let M blow out the candles so we couldn’t share the cake with neighbours so I now have 3/4 of a cake in the fridge. I also made 3 sponges and halved them so I also have full 3 layers in the freezer. :ruby:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

Those layers look fab!

Well we had a request for a shark monster truck birthday cake in May and it’s been mentioned relentlessly since then and trying to do this on the hottest and muggiest days of the year has been sheer hell. :ruby: :lol:

It’s sank quite a bit and I’ve covered up most of the atrocities with crushed biscuits and flake. It’s got green and blue layers in and there’s enough cake there for millions of people and only my mum and dad are coming round :lol:

Anyway, fuck doing that myself again :lol:
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

It looks great, Pov! I love the tyre track effect. Cake decorating in hot weather is both tough and exhausting. I always feel dissatisfied when I first finish and can only see the flaws but trust me: it looks really good!
F'Artiste

Post by F'Artiste »

Pov, that looks excellent! Trust me, it’s a million miles better than the fondant covered monstrosity I currently have in the freezer for V’s birthday.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

You can tell I did this in less than an hour :lol:

It’s the Pokemon Rock Ruff, at least it wasn’t a despot again like last year (he wanted Genghis Khan).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little My

Post by Little My »

This is a wonderful cake page! They're all great.

I have been informed there will be a Harry Potter theme for me to contend with in November.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

That’s a brilliant cake, Pov!

That’s so cute, Kleio, I could have spent half a day on one like yours and it wouldn’t have looked as good!
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

So another birthday and another cake to make (absolutely not doing this next year :lol: ). Tupac requested we make Biggie a rainbow cake, so that is what he’s got. Unsurprisingly easier to ice and decorate when it’s not 9000 degrees and you are not having to juggle working full time and solo parenting, who knew? :lol:

I have to make another one for Saturday as he’s having a couple of pals round so that’ll either be an improvement or a sloppy mess because I’ve got bored second time round :lol: