Cooking the Books

emma_p

Re: Cooking the Books

Post by emma_p »

I like her too! I love this time of year- the promise of new cook books, pencils, jumpers, tights and boots :hbeat:
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

:love: Coats.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

It’s my favourite time of the year :love:

I will also be getting the new Smitten Kitchen when it is out. I’ve acquired/been gifted a few new books lately, which I’m enjoying flicking through (and have even cooked from! :)) )

I Dream of Dinner - Ali Slagle
On the Side - Ed Smith
One Pot, Pan, Planet - you all know who wrote that
The Quick Roasting Tin - Rukmini Iyer
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Ooooh what have you cooked so far, Edith? :weewee:

I have had to abandon my walk for now to cheerlead George with English homework so he's tapping away and I'm making red lentil soup with yoghurt and mint from Moro Easy. It smells so good! I love that it's served with chilli butter, lemon and yoghurt. I might make Anna Jones flatbread to go with it as the the Moro Easy one isn't as quick/easy as hers :george:
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

I made hummus soup from Nistisima for lunch and it was just what I needed. It was weirdly just like hummus but in soup version and it really worked. Very comforting.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

Rather than start a new thread, I am bumping this one to ask if anyone has recommendations for new 2022 cookbooks you’ve used and liked?

This is somewhat self-serving as I want to put one on my Christmas list AND there was one released an earlier this year I thought I wanted and have COMPLETELY forgotten what it was. So I am also hoping the turtle hive mind can help jog my memory. And maybe help some of you with gift ideas too :)
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I’ve just bought the new Smitten Kitchen one (Keepers), and it’s so lovely! Might be worth a browse if you like her recipes.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

Thanks Ella, I was wondering if that was the one I had mentally bookmarked (and forgot). It does look good either way and I do like her recipes. I might put it on the list anyway.

Has anyone got and liked the Ottolenghi Test Kitchen books? I don’t have either yet and I’m not sure if they are too involved for the kind of cooking I might want to do, but could be good for ideas.
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

I have one and it's good but something about it annoys me and I'm not sure what it is. I do like that it's grouped around a particular ingredient.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

I have both and yeah I kind of agree with Cos. I wasn’t going to get the second but then I saw it has the cauliflower shawarma recipe so had to get it. The recipe is online though ;) https://www.today.com/today/amp/recipes/tdrp267404
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

I made a new to me Anna Jones recipe last night which no one in my house likes the sound of but they all ate their words (and every last bit of the rice!) - it was AMAZING. Arroz de tomate: https://annajones.co.uk/recipe/arroz-de-tomate

I had a box of really ripe tomatoes to use up and it was perfect. We just had padron peppers on the side but it would be nice with charred artichokes, asparagus or some bbq fish. Highly recommend.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Ooh, that looks good. I do something with the exact same ingredients (except saffron), but hadn't seen a baked version.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

It was a bit time consuming at the beginning with the tomato skin peeling and blending so I was glad for the to shove it in the oven for 20mins at the end :))
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Ohhh, that recipe looks wonderful :llips:.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

Epponnee Rae wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:58 pm Rather than start a new thread, I am bumping this one to ask if anyone has recommendations for new 2022 cookbooks you’ve used and liked?

This is somewhat self-serving as I want to put one on my Christmas list AND there was one released an earlier this year I thought I wanted and have COMPLETELY forgotten what it was. So I am also hoping the turtle hive mind can help jog my memory. And maybe help some of you with gift ideas too :)
Another self-serving bump of this thread for 2023! :lol: Have you been cooking from any new books that you love this year? Or cookbooks you are asking Father Christmas for?

I was considering Jeremy Lee’s book for my list. Has anyone got it and have an opinion?
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

I've barely bought any cookery books the year. Alison Roman's Sweet Enough, Yossy Arefi's Snacking Bakes and Chris Bianco's pizza book (LOVE this) but I've mainly been cooking from substack and instagram.
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

Did anyone get any interesting cook books for Christmas? I've got an Amazon voucher from my Aunt which I always like to buy a cook book with but am Lacking inspiration. I was looking at some vegan air fryer books but I don't know if I would use the air fryer so much for entire meals. I don't know why I think that.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Funnily enough, my two most recent books are a vegan air fryer book and a vegetarian/vegan air fryer book! Which ones have you been looking at?
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

I was hoping you might read this! :)) To be fair I've only spent about 5 minutes on Amazon half heartedly looking. There is one by someone called Niki Webster which might be ok, but I can't preview the contents to see how much of it appeals. Which books have you got?
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

That’s one of them. I pre-ordered it and it came just after Christmas. My charred cabbage and tofu & peanut slaw pics in the relevant thread are from it.

I’ve attached some index pages.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.