Show Us Your Food

Mountain Goat

Re: Show Us Your Food

Post by Mountain Goat »

I love this stuff. And I get the bad grandma recipe thing, given that I annually make my mum's trifle (sponge fingers, tinned strawberries, rum, cream: best trifle EVER, as long as you are either me or my sister. No-one else ought to try it. :)) )

I remember having the sweet potatoes and marshmallow thing, and my mind being blown.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

My dad and brother refuse to eat my mum's homemade cranberry sauce at Christmas. :lol:
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Blondiejude

Post by Blondiejude »

Jet or emma you need to come back and explain what everything is please. I am transfixed by thanksgiving as on tv it generally comes across as turkey served with pudding :) what are all the sides? Is cornbread really heavy? I’m trying to imagine having a slice of bread with roast beef dinner and failing!
Blondiejude

Post by Blondiejude »

Ken - every year I buy cranberry jelly as we usually have about 12 for lunch and they aren’t all my family and I get PANIC someone will ask for it. Every year no one does and then each November I bin the out of date one (or attempt a ridiculous gravy type recipe then bin that) then panic buy a new one. It’s almost become a Christmas tradition now. I got one Tuesday as they were on offer for a £1. I’m so gullible it’s untrue.
Disco

Post by Disco »

I think I've asked Jet every year* but if they have turkey and all that weird stuff for Thanksgiving then what do Americans typically eat for Christmas?

*Forgive me, it's been a year so I've forgotten. Again.
Jet

Post by Jet »

Usually a ham. Mr J and I left to our own devices have either smoked turkey (this is the first year we’ve smoked a whole one for the family for thanksgiving), Porschetta and this year we’re planning mini wellingtons.

I’ll explain the food stuffs on the table when I get home. I really liked my sister in laws corn casserole but it became apparent why when she told me what was in it (Koran or butter).
Half-ten?! Half-ten?! I've never been up at half-ten! What happens?
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Blondiejude wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:22 pm turkey served with pudding
:mog: This is the best description of Thanksgiving I have ever seen.
Disco

Post by Disco »

Do they have all the pudding with the ham?

Do Americans have roast potatoes ever? Or do they just have wedges?
Jet

Post by Jet »

My autocomplete is being terrible - there was no Koran in it just lots of butter
Jet

Post by Jet »

What pudding? You means the pies?

Turkey, stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce. Just like Christmas dinner with mashed potato instead of roasted ( :cry: ) and no pigs in blankets.

Cornbread is quite light and crumbly. But we don’t have that with thanksgiving dinner; others might the cornbread casserole is a bit like a buttery corn stuffing, I suppose. She makes it because her kids like it.
Last edited by Jet on Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disco

Post by Disco »

I would like your mum's trifle, Goat. I love tinned strawberries. Oh wait, no custard :eek: . OK I would like a mix of your mum's and R's mum's because she does super-set Bird's custard BUT she does it with tinned prunes :cry: !
Disco

Post by Disco »

Jet wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:46 pm What pudding? You means the pies?

Turkey, stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce. Just like Christmas dinner with mashed potato instead of roasted ( :cry: ) and no pigs in blankets.
I meant all the sweet vegetable sides.

OK, I can get with that - and I am glad it's different from TGD - I like mash a lot. Do they have sprouts, parsnips and pigs? Is the stuffing normal?
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Oh sorry, I forgot the custard! Of course there is custard. I will give you some trifle (but after turkey, not as a side dish).

I'm definitely up for the cornbread and the buttery corn. But mash with a roast feels a bit invalid. :cry:
Jet

Post by Jet »

Oh, I see! The sweet potatoes. I don’t know if corn, cornbread or corn casserole is normal, it’s just something my sil makes.

Mr J’s family are not huge sweet potato fans so it’s never featured in immediate family thanksgiving but the wider family have made the weird marshmallow thing.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Imagine never having roast potatoes :eek:.
Disco

Post by Disco »

emma_p wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:19 pm I also enjoy photos where there is a dish with an entire can of cranberry sauce dumped out and it still has the shape of the can :love:
This very second - I am watching The Real Housewives of New York :l: - and one of them has dumped a couple of cans of cranberry onto a plate and said "I love to keep the shape of the cranberry as the can".
Disco

Post by Disco »

Ella77 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:54 pm Imagine never having roast potatoes :eek:.
I would DIE.
Disco

Post by Disco »

The cranberry sauce.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Hold on. Never having roast potatoes? Is this what it is? I can't recall. Not just not at Thanksgiving, not ever?
Disco

Post by Disco »

Yes, we need to know. Never, ever, ever?