Restaurant Meal Kits I Have Known And Loved

Mountain Goat

Re: Restaurant Meal Kits I Have Known And Loved

Post by Mountain Goat »

Via Dishpatch, I don't think there's anything on at the moment from them but they'll probably do an April one soon. For March they had only had a meat one for Nopi though (they had the celeriac schwarma for Rovi, but you've already had that).
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Ah, ok- thanks! I tried the website and it just links to that shitty, unusable Slerp interface that needs your entire life history before you can even see a menu.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Those are so annoying. Estate Dairy needs to know how much its butter means to me that I will tolerate that. :))
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I quite fancy a Stein’s breakfast box. The shipping though! :emme:
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

How much is it?? I'm still recovering from my Hoppers £15 delivery charge.

Ella, new Ottolenghi meal kits up on Dishpatch now, the veggie one is aubergine siniyah if that appeals.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Thank you! Off to look.
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

wendy james wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:09 pm I am now browsing some of your suggestions and want this Tokyo Dive Bar Feast. :ready:
https://dishpatch.co.uk/feasts/tokyo-dive-bar-feast
That looks amazing!
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Mountain Goat wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:04 pm How much is it?? I'm still recovering from my Hoppers £15 delivery charge.

Ella, new Ottolenghi meal kits up on Dishpatch now, the veggie one is aubergine siniyah if that appeals.
£10.95 for a Saturday, £7.95 for a Friday.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Oof, not a Saturday then!
Suzi.Q

Post by Suzi.Q »

I am looking forward to dinner tomorrow night!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

That looks brilliant. :love2:
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Wow, that looks excellent, Suzi.

There seems to be a lot more on Dishpatch than last time I looked. :ready:
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

Just out of idle interest, to what extent were restaurant meal kits a 'thing', pre-pandemic? I had never heard of them even as a concept this time last year. I can imagine some restaurants have expanded their turnover (and possibly even profits also) considerably as a result - there is no need for front of house, they can order in exactly the ingredients needed to fulfil the orders received, the limitation is on the kitchen and given that they don't need to service a dining space, that could be cheaply sited on an industrial estate somewhere, expanding on the off-site cooking operations I believe were already in place for a lot of restaurants. Just wondering as it seems like it's a fairly robust business model and one which would continue to be attractive post-pandemic.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

I think the issue is that restaurants always made their real money on booze rather than food, and also that they're still having to pay for their fixed costs like rent unless they want to give up their premises for good.

I like the idea of kits very much (I don't believe they existed much, if at all, pre-pandemic), and hope that a number of places continue them as a profitable side-line in the future, but I think once we're all released it will be like the roaring 20s and everyone will want to be OUT.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I don't think they existed pre-pandemic, and yes, a lot of restaurants have said they plan to continue. I think the weak point in the business plan is the delivery but it's a pretty good business model otherwise. Personally I expect to continue to use them, but as an alternative to delivery food rather than as an alternative to dining out.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I will definitely use more, as a way of trying places I might not get to go to otherwise. Our takeaway delivery options are quite restricted.

I’m going to work on C about the Stein’s breakfast box.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Maybe for your birthday, Pip?
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

That’s what I was thinking, though I now reckon he must have Yorkshire roots because he looked and said “£35 and you only get 6 rashers of bacon!” so he has been tasked with creating the same thing, or better, for less.
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

A lot of the restaurants that we work with are looking to keep on with delivery/boxes. They had to adapt bloody quickly, especially up in the North where we've had restrictions for longer (and Leicester). I think we'll continue to use boxes or better quality take away but hopefully we'll still eat out.

I don't think I'll be rushing to eat out (Indoors) though. We'll probably stick to outdoors out where we can.
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
mojojojo

Post by mojojojo »

I hadn’t tried them at all until I got a dinner for my birthday from Kolamba the other week. It was lovely and still felt special.

We’ve gone for Aktar at Home for our anniversary this evening - I hope it’s as good as it looks. We went for 4 people so M could have some too, but there’s absolutely tons of it :look: