Show Us Your Food

Jet

Re: Show Us Your Food

Post by Jet »

Topcat wrote:I've got some but I've never used them. I probably need to buy a massive smoker or something to go with them. :yes:
It helps :lol: but you can do pulled pork in the oven or slow cooker too. For which claws are still useful. See also pulling chicken.
Half-ten?! Half-ten?! I've never been up at half-ten! What happens?
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Yeah, but I want a smoker. ;) :))
Jet

Post by Jet »

Do it! :))
Half-ten?! Half-ten?! I've never been up at half-ten! What happens?
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

Get one! They're great, and will go well with your bear claws.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

It's actually this one! :mog: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/965 ... r-tiramisu

However, the surgeon's advice was that any alcohol is fine, and I used chocolate Ruby port instead of Marsala. I also used ricotta the first time with no ill effects.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Aldi had a smoker and BBQ in at the weekend.
cluefree

Post by cluefree »

That's the tiramisu recipe I use too. :dotty: I used amaretto instead of Marsala last time and it was lovely.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

That tiramisu looks lovely and I've got a proper craving now. I might make it on the weekend.

Mr O and I went for lunch and I had a smoked salmon, crab and avocado open sandwich which was lovely and probably really easy to recreate at home.
IMG_1609.JPG
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

That does look good olive. I like the oval plate too. I would like some like that but with a blue trim.

Thanks Pip. I love tiramisu so much :love:
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Pippedydeadeye wrote:Aldi had a smoker and BBQ in at the weekend.
This is interesting, cheers.

I've a mate who is a smoker by profession so I might also ask him if he has a rubbish little one that he doesn't use anymore.
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

That salad looks lush. Dics.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Here is a load of stuff from my holiday. Firstly, Akelare, a 3 Michelin star restaurant just outside San Sebastian. It was very fancy, with amazing views over the sea, though a drone kept flying back and forth as I was trying to eat my dinner which was a little off-putting. The chef, Pedro Subijama, was there as we went in and I was a bit star struck.

They had three tasting menus to choose from, and Mr G and I picked different ones, but unfortunately he wouldn't let me eat much of his, so that plan failed. Also, I was a bit embarrassed taking photos so half of them didn't come out at all and many of them are a bit crap, so here is an edited selection.

Firstly, the stuff they bring you before your actual dinner. There was a take on a Bloody Mary, goat's cheese butter (amazing), puffed potatoes in multiple flavours (though they didn't taste very different to me), some bright coloured crispbread stuff, a black pudding biscuit (lovely) and a plate of pickles that weren't what they seemed - the stuffed olives weren't actual olives, they were olives that had been pureed and then spherified or something along those lines. I'm not sure that added anything to them except showing off to be honest.

Fancy bread and potato things
20170520_204940.jpg
Pickles (you can almost see my face in the olive)
20170520_204923.jpg
Black pudding biscuit (lovely)
20170520_205224.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Bloody Mary (I know, what a clear photo)
20170520_204509.jpg
Best bit of the snacks: goat's cheese butter
20170520_204916.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Disco

Post by Disco »

Looks and sounds lovely, Goat. That butter :love:
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I didn't get photos of all of my meal; I don't know if it was more about the light or the wine.

"The leaves and the foie under the rain"

The leaves at the bottom of the plate are actually foie gras; the droplets of water are the dressing. I haven't done anything much to this photo, the droplets were very 3D plus the light at that point, just as the sun was starting to set, was amazing.
20170520_210222.jpg
Green broth infusion, scampi and smoked monkfish

One of my favourites. The monkfish is round the edges and is smoked/raw, in fine slices. There is a little tea bag of aromatics and they pour the broth over it at the table.
20170520_211556.jpg
Very thin and light beef tartar, new potato souffle and aromatic herb bread

This was lovely but not especially surprising.

20170520_212544.jpg
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

This was my absolute favourite dish although it didn't look like anything amazing. Sea bass umami. It was just a piece of beautiful moist sea bass in a broth. The broth is made up of tonnes of umami rich ingredients; I could taste kombu and mushroom and I heard mention of artichoke and tomato water, but it was really hard to figure out. It was stunning though. It came with a little plate of sea bass sashimi with various toppings but my photo didn't come out.
20170520_213752.jpg
The photos of my next three courses didn't come out either. :lg: The next one was "desalted cod box with shavings" so I'll leave you to imagine that. :)) It was a replica of the boxes that bacalao comes in with wood shavings, except the wood shavings were made from filo. The cod was crystallised and there was a thoughtful addition of cod tripe in tomato water, which was nicer than it sounds.

After that I had roast suckling pig, which wasn't all that. It came with a "bone" made of sugar filled with something and an Iberico emulsion, which was the best bit.

Then my first pudding was AMAZING but again no photo. Gin and tonic on a plate. There was a gin and tonic jelly, juniper sauce and I think lemon ice cream and something else. It was beautiful.

And then my last pudding which was also amazing: Xaxu and coconut iced mousse. It's a traditional cake that they did god knows what with but it sort of collapses into coconut cream in your mouth; plus coconut ice cream and some sort of egg and almond thing. The texture was gorgeous.
20170520_222610.jpg
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I have some of Mr G's but I can't be arsed. :))

We also had lunch at Bodegon Alejandro, the less fancy venture by Martin Berasategui who has one of the other three star places. So it's really excellent, but less theatrical and much less expensive. They do an excellent value tasting menu but we, being very fancy people, had a bus to catch, so we just had a three course lunch.

Before the starter they brought us tiny thin bread, like fancy Melba toasts, and a watermelon gazpacho, which was bloody lovely.
20170523_131227.jpg
My starter was a gamble for me with my burgeoning relationship with eggs, but was one of the best things I ate all holiday. Slow cooked eggs with Emmental consomme. It was beautiful.
20170523_131529.jpg
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

My main was something I was excited to see on the specials menu, as I had read about it in Basque. It's hake a la koxkera, so done in the style of the local gastronomic societies, which are very secret and you're not allowed in; it's very traditional but you can't get it anywhere except the secret bloody societies and occasionally this restaurant. It's with clams, asparagus, the most lovely tiny peas (which have a name that I can't remember, something's tears - short season and very local) and a parsley sauce. It was lovely, especially the little peas and the clams, and I was glad to have the chance to try it, but it wasn't a patch on my slow cooked eggs. The funny looking bit is a hake kokotxas (tongue/jaw meat bit). Mr G had a whole plate of cod kokotxas and regretted it. :))
20170523_132746.jpg
This was my pudding. I had ordered something else. :lg: However I had to catch a bus so I sadly ate it anyway. It was ok but I wouldn't have ordered it.
20170523_140347.jpg
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

WELL. That all looks glorious.
absley

Post by absley »

Thanks for sharing your fancy food pics, Goat. I can't believe MrG gets away with not sharing though!

I will see if I have some from the recent meal we had at Choco in Cordoba - this was stunning; some of the best food I've had in ages. Amazingly good value too.