Where have you eaten out lately?

Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Re: Where have you eaten out lately?

Post by Kenickie »

Pineapple tart tatin. :love:

That is good value for a wine flight. I love doing them, as it's nice to have such a variety.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

It is, and that menu sounds gorgeous.

I like a wine flight, it's a more sophisticated way to get totally hammered. Though it does also mean I actually appreciate the wine more, and notice the differences and such. For the first four.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

That sounds so good Pip! I'm a (fairly) recent convert to the wine flight as well and generally find them excellent and a really good way to try wines I would never have tried before, although I do quite often wince at the relative cost to a shared bottle of wine with Mr P though. Mr P was tempted by the saki flight at a Japanese restaurant when were on holiday in Greece in May though, and definitely made the wrong choice!

We ate out at a couple of pubs when we were on hols: http://www.thebeckford.com/home which was just round the corner from the holiday place and was the slightly better side of average and http://thegloucesteroldspot.co.uk/ which did seriously good chips but the burger was fairly average. Oh, and Carluccios as well, which I'd not eaten at with the kids before and had a really good kids menu (especially as their drink was included in the kids menu price and they were doing a promo of £1 per child so was AMAZING value).
Froozy

Post by Froozy »

Beatrix wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:54 pm
Loralei wrote:Have you been to the Gloucester Old Spot (sister restaurant)? I've only been a couple of times but really liked it.
They do really good brunch. I alternate between there and BTP.

I agree their brunch is excellent. I've been there quite a lot in the last 2.75 years as they open at 9 and have an excellent, contained garden. It is often wall to wall mothers/fathers and babies/toddlers for these reasons :)).
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

I have just had to work out whether I'd totally randomly been to the same Gloucester Old Spot, but it turns out not!
Froozy

Post by Froozy »

Only at the weekends - Monday to Friday is still on :)).
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Our meal was fantastic value for the experience and I would definitely go again. They do cocktail classes and good sound brunches, so I'll definitely go back. They do a 2 course + cocktail evening for £20 too, so that's on my list.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

It's a random thing to have done of a Wednesday, and for no good reason but I finally got to eat at The Little Fish Market tonight and it was excellent. It's just one chef in the kitchen and one waiter, 20 covers total.

Lovely, airy restaurant with plenty of room between tables, charming service and not a duff note in all however many courses (menu below - as you can imagine strawberries and cream wasn't just strawberries and cream :)) ) and lovely little smoked mackerel pre-starter. They also proactively offered a lovely alternative of beautifully smoked salmon for oyster haters (me). Great bread and butter too, and drinks list. If you're down in Brighton and like fish, I will frogmarch you there myself :)
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Oh. Del. Oh. :love: What was the best bit?
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

It has your name all over it! You need to book a fair bit ahead of time though, be warned.

Really hard to pick a favourite as they were all so good, but by a very narrow margin it would have to be the halibut. So beautifully cooked, and with the little hits of sweetness from the corn to balance out the salt. Gorgeous :ready:

ETA Oh, and the crab was actually in a ravioli (raviolo?) on the side. Hello.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I might need a weekend away...

That sounds beautiful. I love crab and corn together. And halibut is always :ready: .
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

I am jealous of all of this. I recently are at the Pizza Hut buffet.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

My friend is currently trying to make me go to a holier than thou place that is all about bloody superfoods and doesn't serve alcohol. It is not risotto if it's made with chia seeds and has no butter or cheese. It's not even dinner. :ruby:

I am going to Foleys tonight though.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

That sounds amazing Dez! I had some amazing food on holiday including lots of crab and corn and halibut :ready:
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I was quite interested in a vegan place I saw the other day until I saw that they also don't serve alcohol :ttth:.

We went to the Clove Club in Shoreditch on Monday, and had the 9 course (?) set menu for lunch. It was very nice and the staff were great. S had ordered a wine flight but I didn't because I can't manage them :granny: so I had a couple of glasses of wine and the odd sip of his, but for the last 3 glasses they discreetly brought an extra one for me as well without saying anything, and (obviously!) didn't charge. I thought that was quite classy of them.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

That's so nice of them!

That reminds me that we had a bottle of super nice red wine bought for us in Jackson and it turned out to be from someone famous who bought one for every table in the restaurant (it was a small restaurant)
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Vegan restaurants with no alcohol! Where's the fun in that?
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

That's nice. Did you find out who it was?
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I KNOW! This might well be the same one as it's also vegan. Vegan is fine, but this is vegan stripped of joy and made to do press ups between courses. I might smuggle in a hip flask and add some whisky to my coconut water mocktail. :ruby:

I was actually just looking at the Clove Club but of course it's way too short notice for this particular evening. I'd already heard good things about them and that service sounds lovely.

Who famous emma? That's really nice. I wish someone would just quietly buy me a bottle of wine. Like now. It's been a long day.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Harrison Ford. I didn't see him but S did. The waiter said he is very much loved there.