Where have you eaten out lately?

absley

Re: Where have you eaten out lately?

Post by absley »

Ella77 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:34 am Yesterday evening we went to Bermondsey Larder.
Thanks for the recommendation Ella - we had an early dinner there and really loved it. As you say, such nice service too. This was our menu - we skipped the cheese but added an extra course - grilled red prawn (so juicy & delish) with wild garlic aioli.

Eta - we've done a bit of eating out recently - Elliots @ Borough Market (an old fave) and Baccala on Bermondsey St have been other highlights. Both have outside space.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I’m so glad you liked it! I’m going back next weekend with a friend!
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

Recently:
Honey and Smoke (Gt Portland St London) with my mum 6 weeks ago and two work colleagues this evening. I was a fan pre Covid and still love it now it has been able to re-open.
Last week with a friend Oliveira Kitchen (veggie near Old Street station, London) some new and delightful dishes.
Next week will be Madeira (Portuguese Cafe?) near Vauxhall Station and probably the Rock and Rose in Richmond
Last weekend had a Negroni at The 3'6 Bar in Fortnum and Mason
Couple of weeks ago Palmyra near Kew station - Lebanese really good value for money and LARGE portions and very tasty
I love going out to eat and drink (and it shows :))
absley

Post by absley »

I went to Honey & Smoke recently too Annabella. It was great for us too.

A recent favourite quick meal, if anyone is in Islington, was Bombay Burrito - really delicious curry components, in a tortilla wrap! :)) I had a paneer one and D a chicken one, both really excellent. Regular is large enough, would be my tip!

Had anyone got any good brunch suggestions, for a London group? I recently went to a Lantana which I liked, but am always keen to try somewhere new.
Last edited by absley on Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I cannot help with that. Bombay burrito sounds great though. Anything given to me in s wrap I'd a winner mind.

I forgot to post, we had thes tasting menu at Sketch last weekend. Which was probably the most indulgent thing I've ever had. But it was great. I can't even remember what we had. Every course was in about 5 parts.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Did they nearly kill you with 5 puddings, or whatever it is?
smalex

Post by smalex »

Genuinely the last two courses I said that exact thing to the waiter. One of them tasted like childhood sweets, it was the most amazing flashback.

When he took the bread away I said 'oh I wish I could take it home to finish it' and the waiter brought out (new not half eaten) all the breads we'd just had I patisserie boxes to take home :love: which I thoroughly enjoyed on Sunday night with some cheese.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Was it the dehydrated lemon thing? (Apparently they used to do 9 puddings before cutting back to 5!) I like it there, they do things properly. Once on my birthday we came out and it was snowing. The doorman was wearing a big cape, and he whisked it over my head to take me to the taxi :)).

I went to The Gate in Hammersmith yesterday. My first indoor meal out for ages. Their menu really hadn’t moved on at all in the last 20 years, but I did have a nice stuffed courgette flower.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Ooh no, not lemon. Don't think we had that.
The concierge lady got us a taxi, like flagged it down. That was cool (and useful, it was really busy outside )
absley

Post by absley »

That sounds wonderful smal (and Ella, your previous experiences). I went a million years ago but think I just felt overwhelmed. I remember it being the first time D ordered a martini and he was flummoxed by all the Qs about (which) gin v. vodka and the various garnishes! :))

I think I need a brunch place near Waterloo or CX.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

I actually just organized a group brunch at Honey & Smoke and breakfast at Dishoom, abs. Both were great but not your location. I did look at Ave Mario, which is just up the road in Cov Gdn. It didn’t work for us but I’d happily try it. The Daisy Green chain also looked good although I think that part of town is the one area they don’t have a handy location. Is The Delaunay too old hat?
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

I had an absolutely fantastic lunch yesterday with some colleagues at Little Duck The Picklery. We were literally wiping the plates clean with bread s everything was so delicious and did not want to waste any of the sauces :lol:

Even just the pickles, bread and butter and salami at the start where phenomenal. I’m fully planning on going back on my own so I don’t have to share anything. Highly recommend the trip to Dalston for it!
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

I've eaten there too and loved it, Epp. I also ate at Angelina which is almost next door and the food was very good - Japanese/Italian fusion, which sounds weird but was good. The service was very friendly and helpful - they contacted me to rebook after we had to cancel due to covid quarantine in the summer when they could have just kept our deposit. However, they did mess up the bill a bit and forgot one of our dishes.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

I did think about Angelina too, but I’m glad I held out for Little Duck.

I went to a new (to me) place called Oklava in Shoreditch at the weekend and it was excellent. Modern Turkish, with Turkish/regional wines too. Just about everything we had was great but especially the mackerel and a whipped feta dip, and an amazing cheese/egg yolk pide.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Oklava is great!
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
absley

Post by absley »

Oh, it's still there! I thought Oklava had shut, I must go as i loved their central London spot so much ( which I am sure has closed).
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

I also thought Oklava had closed - need to get on to their new place now
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

It was Kyseri that shut I think. Which was a pity but at least we still have lovely Oklava.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

Well I’m glad you’re all pleased it’s still there and still good! Where else should I eat that I may have missed the last few years then??
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Tried Bermondsey Larder yet?