Where have you eaten out lately?

emma_p

Re: Where have you eaten out lately?

Post by emma_p »

One of the Honey & Co restaurants, kiwi? They're opening in Lambs Conduit St soon.
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

Oh I don't know them emma, I'll have a look!
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

I agree on Honey&Co. If that one isn't open then do Honey &Smoke in Gt Portlans Street. Recently went to Rovii in Fitzorovia - heavy on the veg from another wonderful Ottolenghi
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I like Rovi. The flavours are a bit more challenging (for me) than Nopi.
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

Thank you chaps, I have booked Rovi.
absley

Post by absley »

We had a really lovely meal at Naifs in Peckham - vegan, lovely seasonal cocktails, natural wine, great value, friendly folk.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

That looks good!
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

We are off to Newcastle next weekend so if anyone has any recommendations there, that would be great. We are staying in the city centre.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Froozy

Post by Froozy »

I went to Four Wise Monkeys a few weeks ago and Gambas more recently, both in Bristol. FWM is run by the same people who have Seven Lucky Gods and was just as delicious.

We had all the Dim Sums at FWM (except the pumpkin and mushroom salad) and a Dan to share. Stand outs were the squid and ribs but it was all delicious.
Screenshot 2022-04-09 at 14.07.43.png
Gambas was also fantastic, stand outs were the fried aubergine (I think I remember something very similar has already been mentioned on this thread) and the cheese.
Screenshot 2022-04-09 at 14.07.16.png
Have I said delicious enough?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

I was out last night (get me!) to Blackfriars in Newcastle, which is reputedly the oldest purpose-built dining room in the country. It was the refectory of of a 13th Century monastery. It's lovely, and is bang in the city centre, so if you can get in there, Sal, I definitely recommend it. It's usually booked up, though.

What sort of thing are you looking for, and where are you staying? I haven't been out since before Covid, but obviously I know Newcastle well.
sally maclennane

We are staying at the Premier Inn on Newgate St, Morgs.

I will see if we can get booked for Blackfriars!
Blondiejude

Post by Blondiejude »

I second Blackfriars, I did a bread course there years ago and we got lunch and it was lovely.

Kenny Atkinson has a restaurant on the quayside House of tides which is supposed to be great (I’ve never actually been) or if you fancy something different we went out last week to Cafe Andalucia on grey street, it’s tapas they took over from carluccios after it closed and it was really really nice I could recommend it. You’d need to book all of them though.
sally maclennane

Ooh tapas would be good, our local tapas place has been closed for months due to flooding. We will definitely book!
Blondiejude

Post by Blondiejude »

This was it Sal;

https://www.cafeandaluz.com/

Obviously I have only been once but it was lovely.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Newgate street is very near Blackfriars, and also very near Chinatown. If you like Chinese food I recommend Amaysia - No 18 Stowell Street. There are always lots of Chinese people eating in there, which is a good sign.

House of Tides will be booked up I think, and it is very expensive. I haven't been out (apart from Friday) since lockdown and haven't tried Cafe Andalucia, but very near there is Pannis, which is an independent Sicilian place that's very good.

A bit further out but lovely is Peace and Loaf - you'll need a car or taxi, but there are lots easily available around your hotel.

Avoid The Gate, which is also nearby. It's noisy (hen and stag parties) and pretty grim. Directly under the Premier Inn are chains like Zaap and Turtle Bay, and I like Chaophraya in the city centre (no more than a ten minute walk). It's great for people watching if you get a window seat (go early).
Blondiejude

Post by Blondiejude »

Yeah I agree with morg’s about the gate, avoid at all costs.
Do you mean Pani’s morg? That’s lovely. I’ve never been to peace and loaf but have heard very good reviews.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Yes, I meant Panis :)). I will check out Cafe Andalusia next time I'm in town. It's in such a good spot, but the past couple of franchises in there haven't been up to much, have they? I didn't rate Carluccios at all, and I can't remember what was there before that, but I do remember that it wasn't great. What's the name of the Italian place at the bottom of Grey St/corner of Dean St? The one with the tiles? That's always good, too - Sal might like that.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

We had lunch at the new Gail’s in Our Town. Very unwhelming and hugely over priced.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Morganna wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:43 pm Yes, I meant Panis :)).
That name is just asking for unfortunate typos.

For fans of Sri Lankan food, Kolamba on Kingly Street is really good. A group of us went the other Sunday and had a lovely feast.
absley

Post by absley »

Oh, that's good to know, nine - I have a friend who loves Sri Lankan food.