Where have you eaten out lately?

wendy james

Re: Where have you eaten out lately?

Post by wendy james »

I didn’t take a photograph of everything but the food at the global feast I mentioned in the weekend thread was lovely.

P’s favourites were the beef rendang and the pork Bao bun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

That looks delicious, Wendy.

Does anyone have any current veggie-friendly Brighton recommendations for dinner please? I did a search (possibly badly) and all the Brighton posts were nearly 10 years old.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Whereabouts in Brighton will you be Nine, Lanes only or towards Hove?

ETA Actually, I'm in an airport and twiddling my thumbs so may as well share now, whilst covering all bases :))

If in the middle of town, Terre a Terre (veggie and vegan) is an old stalwart currently having a bit of a renaissance. If you want meat options, small plates at The Flint House is a winner (and a terrace to boot if you're blessed with sunshine).

There's also the Shelter Hall on the beach for a more informal meal - lots of different food pop up offerings right by the sea.

Towards Hove my two old favourites on Preston Street are still going strong (Halisco / Mexican and Bincho Yakitori / Japanese Izgara) and offer good veggie options but can be difficult to get into.

Then in Hove itself there's 4th & Church (small plates, Grace Dent is a fan :))) and Wild Flor, but the latter is usually a set menu I think so veggie choices might be restricted.

A little bit off the normal drag but not miles away) on the Brighton side there's also Kusaki - vegan sushi. I haven't been there yet, but reviews are truly excellent.

ETA ETA You might hear Palmito mentioned a lot as a newish opening that everyone loves. But I didn't. (Nice enough food but nothing earth shattering and it's a tiny space - if you love having to rearrange the furniture every time someone moves, and everybody being privy to everybody else's every word it's the one for you!

Another one I haven't tried yet actually - the guys behind Halisco have opened a sister restaurant, Anakuma, also on Preston street. Early reports are good.
absley

Post by absley »

I recently had good veggie food at Burnt Orange. I also really liked Chilli Pickle, but wasn't eating veggie that time - it looks like they have a decent amount on the menu though.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

My colleague went to Terre a Terre recently and said it was amazing! I was surprised it was still going. She’d never been before.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

That’s so helpful - thanks, both. Terre a Terre and Burnt Orange were already on my shortlist so it’s good to know they’re (still) good. Have you tried Tutto, by the Burnt Orange people?

We’ll be in central Brighton, just for the day. My bf is veggie but I’m not (although obviously I do eat veggie food 😋 ).
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Might give Palmito a miss as those are restaurant pet hates of mine too!
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

absley wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:19 pm I recently had good veggie food at Burnt Orange. I also really liked Chilli Pickle, but wasn't eating veggie that time - it looks like they have a decent amount on the menu though.
Ooh yes, Burnt Orange is lovely too - I still think about an aubergine dish I had there over a year ago :faint:

A day isn't long enough Nine, clearly!

PS Have heard not good things of Tutto - would swerve.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Ah - interesting! Thank you.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Is Waikikamoucou (sp?) still going in Brighton? That's veggie and I remember loving it. 20 years ago though.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Fraid not, it only closed recently though.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

We went to Terre a Terre and had the tapas - it was excellent!
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

Recent places that I have been to and would recommend.
Jikoni in Marylebone
Singapore Garden in Swiss Cottage
114 in Teddington
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

For veggi food in Brighton, I really recommend Terre a Terre. It’s good enough to make the additional expense of getting the train down from London worth it, but I wish they’d move here.the staff are very welcoming

I still dream of their beer-nattered jalloumi and chips(like fish & chips but not)

One of their best starters is Terre a Tapas, which is a little taste of everything if you can’t decide