Show us your food! Corona Cooking edition

ParisGal

Re: Show us your food! Corona Cooking edition

Post by ParisGal »

How was the welsh pudding? :)) I would just have troughed the welsh cakes with a bit of butter, personally :ready:

I have managed to fill the freezer with on-offer frozen fruit, veg, fish and meat, but nothing actually ready to eat :mad: So I am putting myself on a strict fresh-buying diet :lol: , and will try to work out what containers to use to freeze meals. I got rid of my collection of icecream containers in a bid to not put food into plastic, but I can't afford a huge collection of glass containers either.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

It is tasty! I had to cut the rest of it up and freeze it in separate portions in clingfilm so I wouldn’t be tempted to trough the lot. I think it’s the first time I’ve made a baked cheesecake, it didn’t crack horrendously.
F'Artiste

Post by F'Artiste »

:ready: That looks so nice Hippy.

I’m having a bit of a clear out of recent cooks - Indonesian roast coconut chilli chicken with ginger and soy roasted potatoes, and courgette gratin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
F'Artiste

Post by F'Artiste »

And from tonight: Steak, rocket and chips with brown butter garlic and Basque cheesecake with salted caramel sauce (it does not take a pretty photo).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Ooh, I’ve always wanted to try a basque cheesecake? Was it good, F’Artiste? Your fries look great too, did you make them yourself?

I made p_d’s Italian ribs last night and they were delicious. Liv especially loved them. S had been suspicious - he really loves those Vietnamese ribs but he admitted they were good. I made antipasto (AJ cauliflower with saffron and bay, roasted peppers with cherry tomatoes, nduja and mozzarella and balsamic roasted chicory) and then had the ribs with gnocchi alla romana with them which was the first time for that and was excellent too. The gnocchi was meant to have the final few mins under the grill but the dish I used was too big so that’s why the colour is patchy.
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

Your roast chicken and potatoes look so good, F'Arty!
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

The gnocchi looks fantastic! I remember trying to make it once and it was just a sloppy (but tasty) mess.
Disco

Post by Disco »

I would love a bit of that cheesecake and the chicken looks and sounds wonderful too.
F'Artiste

Post by F'Artiste »

The gnocchi looks delicious! The basque cheesecake was lovely - very ugly/messy looking but easy to make. It had very intense vanilla and caramel flavours. I think it would taste amazing with a coulis or a chocolate chilli sauce.
cluefree

Post by cluefree »

The cheesecake sounds amazing. :hbeat:
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

P randomly bought some Wicked pot noodle style things because they were on offer. One finally came in handy to add to the last of the mushrooms, a carrot and a courgette.

Plus my breadmaker sourdough starter. It was in there for 24 hour and I’ll use it tomorrow.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

What sort of bread will you make? I made terrible baguettes today. The texture was fine but I piled too much dough in the baguette holders and they spilled out as they baked until the "baguettes" became conjoined with the oven shelf. :lol:

Oddly garish ( wasn't like that in real life) sea trout with watercress sauce,,Jersey Royals and samphire.

Breton galettes ( egg, watercress, Yarg) which we had with potato salad and herb/ lemon courgette salad.
IMG_20200608_210042046.jpg
IMG_20200609_211441738.jpg
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
Disco

Post by Disco »

I would really love some jersey royals. Why the hell is my veg box trolling me with sweet potatoes all the time? :cry:
Disco

Post by Disco »

I’ve got lots of brown food to offset all the vibrant deliciousness on this thread. :toot:
Disco

Post by Disco »

Chicken katsu and satay chicken noodle stir fry

I’ve dragged out the deep fat fryer and bought huge oil vat (hello winch) so the katsu chicken went in there.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Oh lovely! Shakshuka :love2: And proper crispy katsu.

I feel your sweet potato pain: I don't know what the hell happened to my veg box this week, but there was no dill (which I ordered) and instead I got an extra box of eggs (which meant 18 eggs in that delivery, and I already had 14) and an unsolicited kilo of sweet potatoes. :ruby:
Disco

Post by Disco »

I'd be so upset about the dill. God I love that stuff so much. Wow, that is a lot - a lot - of eggs :lol: and sweet potatoes.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I had plenty in the garden until it just suddenly died (I suspect animal interference) so it's doubly disappointing (I have fennel, tarragon and sweet cicely which will do if I need aniseed, but dill is dill :cry: )

Yesterday I made a cheese and onion quiche (one egg in the pastry, four eggs in the quiche part) and also the galettes had one egg in the batter, and two galettes each, so that's 10 in one day. :lol: I can't face the sweet potato conundrum yet, they will keep while I try to work out all the egg issues. A kilo! I could cope with say, 4. I don't hate them, they are ok in their place, but if I never saw one again I would not mourn them.
Disco

Post by Disco »

Annoying. I'm trying to get my herb area back up and running again. My tarragon and dill and thyme have long since died but I've recently planted sorrel, thyme and sage but need to get a few more frondy delicate ones again.

You've really taken to eggs :mog: . I might try and make my fennel tart again at the weekend. Note to self: make more pastry, roll it thicker and don't forget the loose bottom.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I never make enough pastry, always make it too short, and always get so "DON'T OVERWORK IT STEPHANIE" that I underwork it and it cracks and the filling spills out and makes it go soggy. :ruby: However, my experience in patching together holes in pastry served me very well while trying to plaster behind the boiler last week, so there's that. Fennel tart sounds lovely.