What time do you eat your evening meal?

kiwi

What time do you eat your evening meal?

Post by kiwi »

And as an aside, what do you call it? I know we've probably done this before but what the heck.

We have dinner usually around 9pm, which is probably later than I'd really like but that seems to be the time it all comes together. I find it strange that I can't go without breakfast, am desperate for lunch by midday, but I can then go without food until 8 or 9 hours later.

I will usually text M and ask him what he wants for tea, although it is called dinner when we eat it.
bramblerose

Re: What time do you eat your evening meal?

Post by bramblerose »

Dinner is anywhere between 6 and 7.30pm.

I don't think we eat any earlier and any later is too late. I'm normally ready for bed at 9pm!
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
smalex

Post by smalex »

We eat quite late usually, around 8-8.30, occasionally nearer 9. I don't think it's that late actually but several of my friends are completely horrified. Tonight it's a bit earlier, we've just finished.
Its tea on weekdays but dinner at weekends
Panda

Post by Panda »

9pm? I’d be eating the walls by then! We usually have our ‘dinner’ at around 7pm. We tend to cook our own meals as I’m veggie and he’s not, but often share bits - I’ll have veggie sausages and he’ll have meaty sausages and we both have mash for example.

Mr P is an excellent cook but has no idea on timings so I tend to get a bit twitchy if he cooks, and do a lot of big sighs and pass ag staring at my watch. Honestly, I’m a joy to live with.

We are breakfast, lunch and dinner, for the spreadsheet.
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Now that we are all at home it's around six but it used to be 7/7.30. It's always called dinner here.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Dinner is about 5-5.30pm around here. It’s fairly beaten out of me, but I occasionally refer to dinner and tea, and my southern born children correct me with lunch or dinner, as applicable.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Usually tea but sometimes dinner. I like to eat 6:30-7. I always (used to :sad: ) book restaurants for 8 for adults.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I have tea, and I used to try and have it about 6-6:30 of I was at home that day. If I was in work, it would more likely be half seven or eight which is too late for my preference.

I now have it at 5:30 so I can eat with babies.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I always used to book restaurants for seven.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

We eat around 7-7.30, sometimes closer to 8 at the moment.

What I want to know is if people eat with their kids/ if they eat the same meal as their kids.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

7.30-8pm if I'm cooking (which these days of course, I am). 8 or 8.30 for a restaurant reservation.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

We eat so early because we eat as a family. Well, the three evenings P works, he makes dinner and serves it up to the three of us before heading out! He has his when he gets back.

Everyone is served the same, unless it’s a leftovers raid or variations for dietary requirements.
happyhighlandcoo

Post by happyhighlandcoo »

We call it tea and have it quite late, usually 8pm at the earliest, often 8:30pm and we occasionally eat as late as 9:30pm.

I guess it is all relative to your wake up (6:15am), commute (I tend to get home around 6:30/7) and bed time (11/11:30pm).
smalex

Post by smalex »

On weekdays we don't, usually, mainly because I am often out at site meetings until 7-8 ish so that's the habit we've fallen into. Now W is a bit older we eat together mainly at weekends and I think eventually we'll morph on weekdays too. I feel bad about the lack of family dining but my job has really driven that habit, although I also cannot bear to eat before 7pm, which obviously is too late for very young kids.
Last edited by smalex on Sat May 23, 2020 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Little My

Post by Little My »

It used to be 5.30pm, but now lockdown/summer has pushed it back to 6.30pm. We eat as a family.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Dinner here, it was always referred to as dinner when I was growing up. I used to think that tea was the right way to describe it so I was pleased to discover I was right all along :))

My choice of time would be between 7pm and 8pm, J would eat at 5.30 if he could so we compromise with somewhere between 6pm and 7pm.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I easy lunch and tea with babies. They don't have breakfast because I can't be arsed. They have a mix of some stuff we're having, stuff we had the day or meal before, and random extras like carrot or cucumber, breadsticks, lumps of cheese, banana, oat fingers. They also have everything cold unless it's something we're having at the same time.
Last edited by Kenickie on Sat May 23, 2020 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I get hungry so early that I prefer to eat at about 7 or 7.30. I’m up at 5.30 in the morning though.
smalex

Post by smalex »

It is weird, because like you say kiwi, I have breakfast about 9 usually, and I'm ravenous by 12. But I can then manage, via a small late afternoon snack to last until 8pm or gone.
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

emma_p wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 7:55 pm What I want to know is if people eat with their kids/ if they eat the same meal as their kids.
Sometimes we do, sometimes we don't, depending on how organized we are/what we're having/if one of us is working.

So we eat anywhere from seven (with kid) to half-nine/ten (without, obviously). These days I prefer an early dinner. Which is always dinner if it's a proper cooked meal, but sometimes tea if we've already eaten dinner for lunch. :))
The other members of my family are slowly wearing down my objection to having two dinners a day, although i still think it's wrong and unnecessary.