Restaurant Meal Kits I Have Known And Loved

Mountain Goat

Restaurant Meal Kits I Have Known And Loved

Post by Mountain Goat »

Inspired by Bramble's bacon naan from Dishoom, what meal kits have you tried and would recommend? I think we could all do with a treat we haven't totally cooked ourselves that isn't Deliveroo bringing you food that's cold and soggy.

I have had:

Bocca di Lupo - https://boccadilupoathome.com/pages/december-menu This was for my birthday back in October and they change the menu monthly so what I had isn't there any more but it was lovely.

Bleeker Burger via GreatFood2U https://greatfood2u.co.uk/restaurant/bleecker/ We had the double cheeseburgers, and they give you a massive bottle of their (very nice) burger sauce. In the same vein, we also had Honest Burgers (which I got via Farmdrop but they also supply direct (https://shop.honestburgers.co.uk/collections/products/), which was very generous with a full bottle of French's mustard and large quantities of their burger sauce, pickles and rosemary salt, which meant we had "their" burgers a few times. :)) Honestly after so many delivery burgers turning up cold with soggy chips it was brilliant to have these options and when I factor in the delivery charges and tips for delivery burgers, also cheaper. I'd have both again.

I had a bit of a tragic experience with Tommy Banks Made in Oldstead. I have no argument with them at all (and much sympathy) but their courier fucked up badly and my meal arrived almost a week late and obviously inedible. They could not have been better about it and I will absolutely order from them again but I didn't actually get to taste their meal. I did see it as I took it all out the boxes and separated it for the bins. :cry: It looked absolutely fantastic and was very generous and would have been good value. The only thing I could rescue (except a pot of cheese and some chive oil) was the mince pies which were amazing. https://tommybanks.co.uk/product-catego ... d-foodbox/ I'd expect the courier issue to be resolved, especially after Christmas.

This disappointment was offset by having absolutely brilliant kebabs from Berenjak (I bought direct https://berenjakbazaar.com/products/tond-kabab-kit but I've seen them via one of the consolidators, but can't find it now) - this was fun to do (you get these massive skewers which can double as deadly weapons) and the best kebabs I have ever had anywhere. This may be connected with me getting my full sense of taste back. :))
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
Topcat

Re: Restaurant Meal Kits I Have Known And Loved

Post by Topcat »

https://kolambahome.co.uk/ are incredible.

I have actually eaten a beetroot curry and loved it.
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

The patty and bun burgers are amazing. We've had them so many times https://shop.pattyandbun.co.uk/products ... y-robinson
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

This is a brilliantly apt thread! I've just been mulling over whether to order this https://www.knock-knock-groceries.com/p ... eafood-box for NYE and I think I'm going to.

I was reading about the Tommy Banks one last week and I really fancied it - what a shame the courier messed up (there was something in the article I read about logistics problems).
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I was going to do a thread like this so I’m glad you’ve started it, Goat. What a shame with that missing delivery. A WEEK! I had some babka go missing for a couple of days :emme:, but that’s not so bad. So far we’ve tried;

- back in July, Lupins was doing a delivery service. They’re not any more but I hope they bring it back, because it was really delicious food.

- Rovi (via the Ottolenghi website). This was for my birthday, and apparently the courier delivery was ruinous, so I’m not sure it would be good for regular orders. We had their legendary celeriac shawarma with tons of sides, and even a bottle of cocktail (still loads left). It was really delicious and lasted several days due to over-ordering.

- Pied a Terre’s Vegan Feast. This was less successful, and the main course was pretty disgusting. The starter and pudding were tasty though.

- A couple of days ago we ordered the Earth menu from Delamina (via restokit here https://www.restokit.co.uk/collections/delamina ). Assembly was a little fiddly, but it was really delicious food. Would order again.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Ooh! Lots of nice things. :love2: That's interesting that they mentioned logistics problems Flora, I guess it wasn't a one off (I've had the same issue with that particular courier with other fresh food)

I am very interested in the P&B burger now I see they use HG Walter bacon (and beef) because I am obsessed with it and have a stockpile in my freezer. :lol: Their smoked bacon is just extraordinary.
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

Yes! The HG Walters meat is amazing. We've got rib of beef arriving from them on Wednesday.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Oh god, that's going to be GOOD.
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

I can't wait!
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

Mountain Goat wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:07 pm I am very interested in the P&B burger now I see they use HG Walter bacon (and beef) because I am obsessed with it and have a stockpile in my freezer. :lol: Their smoked bacon is just extraordinary.
Patty and Bun are doing 20% off all burger kits with the code LOCKDOWN3
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Ooh! Thank you for this. :love2:
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Ordered for next weekend. :))
Tabitha

Post by Tabitha »

Thank you Purp, I've ordered some to come next Friday in a bid to make weekends a bit more fun. I've got Dishoom naans coming tomorrow.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I think I’m going to order the bacon naan kit for C as his birthday is in a few weeks.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

My brother & SIL loved the naans, they said it was the perfect dirty breakfast :lol:
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

How big are the Patty and Bun burgers? Ie is a portion one burger or two? I'm tempted but the delivery charge is pretty steep (£7) so just trying to work out how it compares to the ones from my local pub.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

One burger is a portion as long as you have it with chips or something. We usually have it two nights in a row because it's so good. I think they recommend you eat it within three days of delivery. You can freeze the burgers and bacon and the mayo and cheese slices keep for quite a while but the onions don't.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Ah thanks, that's better value then!
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

Thanks for the P&B recommendation, I was looking for a meal kit as a birthday present in the UK and it was perfect.
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

Yay! I hope everyone who gets one likes it. I just missed the code - I'd already ordered for next week!