Air fryer hits?

viggy

Air fryer hits?

Post by viggy »

So many of us have air fryers now (and mine arrives on Monday!) I thought we could do with a thread of turtles’ favourite things to cook in them :weewee:

I am mostly looking forward to crisping up part baked baguettes and BM making her own quick cook oven fries :)) but I’m sure there’s more we can be trying.
Disco

Re: Air fryer hits?

Post by Disco »

Can everyone please state what air fyrer they have too, please? I'm really interested in the pros and cons and fucntions and sizes and everything air fry.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

I have an Instant Vortex Airfryer, not intentionally purchased to match my instantpot but there we are.

I listed stuff on the other thread, but off the top of my head it's been great for reheating (spring rolls in particular are excellent but you can also do a full ready meal if it's one that's better cooked in the oven than the microwave), baking potatoes and airfrying potatoes, aubergines, peppers etc, also bacon, sausages and chicken thighs.
viggy

Post by viggy »

For the aubergine, peppers etc are you cutting them into chunks and tossing them in oil the same way you’d roast them in a normal oven?
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Yep, exactly that.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Although spray oil is more than adequate, you don't need half as much as in the oven.
Margo

Post by Margo »

One of my fave things is to use a low carb wrap, add some tomato purée, cheese, salami, onions and herbs… a couple of minutes and I have a deelish pizza (sort of!)
Margo

Post by Margo »

One of my fave things is to use a low carb wrap, add some tomato purée, cheese, salami, onions and herbs… a couple of minutes and I have a deelish pizza (sort of!)
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Disco wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:24 pm Can everyone please state what air fyrer they have too, please? I'm really interested in the pros and cons and fucntions and sizes and everything air fry.
I have two - one is an all singing all dancing Ninja Foodi, and the other is a lot simpler - a Tower Xpress. I got the Ninja a while ago for at home, and the Tower was offered for £40 on the site FB page in the Lakes so I snapped it up. The Ninja does things like dehydrate tomatoes and make yoghurt, which is fine if you are Heston Blumenthal, but I do neither on a regular basis :)). Anyway, it has a bucket-like pot that you cook in, and to do two things at once you need to use the rack that comes with it - basically to create shelves. Also, the pot is round - which makes it difficult to fit trays etc in it, and really hard to get things out. The pot is deep and gets hot, so you have to use tongs, which risk crushing the food.

The Tower one operates like an oven in that it has shelves and a door, so it's easier to get things out if it, and you can use casseroles and trays (small ones, but still) if you remove a shelf or two. I've found a few tins and trays that fit that one, but the Ninja is round, so it's more difficult. I'm in a couple of FB groups about them, and a lot of people cook things like lasagne and cottage pie directly in the pot, but that means you either plate up in the kitchen or have a massive metal pot on the table, and neither appeals to me.

I find the Tower better, BUT the Ninja also does things like pressure cook and slow cook, and I already have a pressure cooker and a slow cooker, so really all I need it for is the air-fry function. If you don't have a PC and SC, you may prefer the Ninja.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Mine is Tower 5 in 1 and so far its been excellent.

Three shelves to cook stuff on, easy to clean and it does make stuff crispy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1
Disco

Post by Disco »

I don't have plans to get one unless an existing gadget goes for a burton but it's really helpful and interesting to read. I would be drawn to a Tower one I think though from what you've said and the thoughts I had about the space inside.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Yeah, mine doesn't have shelves, just a pull out basket with an external handle but so far I like it as it's super easy to pull out and check their doneness, and give things a shake without faffing around with oven gloves, spatulas etc, and it's got a pretty big capacity.

I am very much a one pot type of cook though, so that's worth taking into consideration if you're not.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Topcat wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:46 pm Mine is Tower 5 in 1 and so far its been excellent.

That's the one I have, but mine is manual.
Disco

Post by Disco »

Sorry Viggy, I didn't mean to hijack your thread!
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

I have the Instant Vortex Plus and it’s my favourite thing ever. It has three shelves like Morgs’s and TC’s.

It makes the best homemade chips and I use it a lot for the kids for potato gems, oven chips, slices of garlic bread, breaded fish/chicken and also for quick ham and cheese croissants.

I did pork belly in it last week and it was incredible! https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/air-fr ... e/s2bj5tyh
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Bacon, Quorn nuggets and pastries such as sausage rolls have been particularly good. #mrcreosote I also found roast chicken reheats really well in it.

I have the smallest one from Lakeland. It’s adequate for me but I’d probably get a bigger one next time.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Oh and any beige freezer food basically, eg fish fingers
rosy

Post by rosy »

I have an instant pot duo (air fryer, pressure cooker etc all in one). Everything I used to bake, fry or roast, I now do in the instant pot. It also makes amazing risotto in 12 minutes with no stirring.

Today was a batch cook for the freezer day, so I made chilli, bolognaise and a curry sauce (to which I’ll add fish/meat/chick peas when I use it).

Dinner tonight was steak and chips, all chucked in the air fryer.

Cooking a whole chicken is so easy and fuss-free.

A couple of weeks ago I made roast shoulder of lamb with a cheap cut from my local butcher: https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-lamb/
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
mischief

Post by mischief »

I have the ninja. I cook a whole chicken in it and roast potatoes take about 20 minutes. I think the only thing I have cooked in my oven in the past 2 weeks is pizza.
viggy

Post by viggy »

Topcat wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:46 pm Mine is Tower 5 in 1 and so far its been excellent.

This is the one we’ve ordered so this is exactly what I wanted to hear :))