Podcasts & Blogs I like

sally maclennane

Re: Podcasts & Blogs I like

Post by sally maclennane »

Oh yes, I think I saw that advertised on the BBC.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
sally maclennane

I have listened to 4 episodes of The Lady Vanishes and it's very good. I have no idea what's happened to her, it's a total mystery!
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

I listened to the latest episode. It's so weird. What happened to all the stuff in storage? Why is there a passport in another name? I have so many questions.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
smalex

Post by smalex »

If you like it, I'm in (tomorrow).
sally maclennane

It's all so weird isn't it? I feel really sorry for her daughter, and her sister is so odd, claiming that she just doesn't want to be found.

Yeah, I think you'll like it, Smal!
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

I finally started listening to that today and I’m interested to see where it goes, given the sister’s lack of interest.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Ooooo I'll give that one a go.

Has anyone listened to Shreds? It's about a group of black men who are set up for a murder in Cardiff in the 1980s/90s. I recommend it, although I found one of the episodes really tough going.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

I've not heard of that one, I'll give it a listen tomorrow.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

It's a BBC one, Duo.
Suzi.Q

Post by Suzi.Q »

Shreds was good. Paradise and End of days on the bbc app are good too.
smalex

Post by smalex »

sally maclennane wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:44 pm It's all so weird isn't it? I feel really sorry for her daughter, and her sister is so odd, claiming that she just doesn't want to be found.

Yeah, I think you'll like it, Smal!
FASCINATING. I swung from thinking she was dead, to thinking she probably was alive and back to thinking she is dead. The blase attitude of her sister and the police authorities was really odd. I guess the sister may have compartmentalised because it's easier to deal with that way, but the police really ought to have acted.
sally maclennane

I knew you'd like it! It's so bizarre isn't it?
smalex

Post by smalex »

Really bizarre! My best guess is she got involved with someone, hatched a plan for some reason, it went sour and either she was murdered quickly, or coerced to do some things and then murdered a bit later :clearasmud:

I don't know how the daughter continues to function. The not knowing would eat me up. Particularly knowing the police (say they) know more but can't/won't say.
sally maclennane

I think there is definitely some connection to the school that she taught in, and the allegations there.

I don't know how her daughter keeps going either. Not knowing what happened to her mum, losing her brother to suicide, plus her dad sounds like a bit of a rocket. The way the police keep saying "but she (Marian) has a right to privacy" is so annoying, I think if you've made a decision to have kids then you do owe them the reassurance, that matters more than privacy. If she's alive, there would be a way to get a message to her daughter without being found.

That said, I reckon she is dead.
smalex

Post by smalex »

It's not as if she'd have to lose her privacy in order for the police to try to verify, and then provide tangible evidence to her family, that she's actually still alive. They could do that.

It's probably one of those things which will never be solved now. It really shows you never really know someone. The people who knew her were SO sure she wouldn't have done X or Y, when she was clearly into something or someone amiss that none of them knew.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

I think she's dead now too just based on the pattern of draining the current account but leaving the long term accounts and the health card being unused.

I also find the police really bizarre, they've spoken to 'someone' but not made visual contact and she's been gone 20 years, just allow her daughter to declare her dead so that she can move on.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
sally maclennane

The police have been crap, IMO. There seems to be a lot of confusion about who they spoke, when they spoke to them, and when they told her daughter this.
sally maclennane

I am on episode 3 of Paradise, it's really good although the Irish journalist is getting on my tits.
sally maclennane

I finished Paradise and liked it, and am now listening to another CBC podcast (they do the Someone Knows Something podcast) This one is called Uncover, I am listening to Season 3 which is called The Village, and is about a serial killer in the gay community in Toronto. It's interesting, and also depressing because of the way the crimes were treated by police who just dismissed many people's concerns and complained about the gay community not being willing to engage with them - can't think why!
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

My new commute is only 20 mins and it's seriously cut into my Podcast time. ☹️