Film 2022

Ella77

Re: Film 2022

Post by Ella77 »

Anybody who’s seen Crawdads, is it rapey at all? Also did the poetry make it in :look:?
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

Yes to rape scene, and there’s some fairly graphic DV as well. It’s a 15 and that’s about right I would say (to give you an idea).

Barely any poetry though, thank goodness. I only remembered the godawful poetry from the book when they snuck a tiny bit in and I realised they hadn’t been using it before that :lol:
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Thank you. Not sure if I’ll see it or not but that gives an idea. I do wish people would stop making rape into entertainment, and poetry is even worse :)).
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

Recent plane viewing has included three really good British films.

Mothering Sunday - set between the wars, about a maid in a large house and how her life intersects with the families and influences her over time. Supporting cast has Colin Firth, Olivia Coleman and Glenda Jackson :hbeat:
The Duke - Jim Broadbent on top form and v good Helen Mirren being unglamorous. I loved this. But I’ve a soft spot for Durham, art and social justice so hit all the right notes for me.
After Love - hard to describe without giving it all away, but focused on a white British Muslim woman and what happens to her after her husband dies.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

Kleio wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:18 pm In the early hours this morning I watched the Leo Grande movie. They treated the situation really well and it felt real. I was not expecting to see that much of Emma Thompson though!
Going back a bit is Leo Grande worth seeing? It’s on at the art house cinema about 15 mins walk from my house next week on original version (not dubbed but maybe with subtitles) so wondering if it’s worth going.

A film that I don’t believe is worth it is Nope. If I thought that Licorice Pizza from earlier in the thread was as mad as a box of frogs, Nope was as mad as a crate of frogs, toads and newts. Daniel Kaliyah and Keke Palmer had a great chemistry as brother and sister and there were some brilliant ideas in it, the best of which you think is going to tie everything up but ultimately goes nowhere. And that was the basic problem with the film- it doesn’t make sense. I’d heard it described as a horror film- it isn’t- and it’s got elements of a western but it’s not a western either.

I am now watching the first Peele/ Kaluuya collab Get Out on Amazon Prime and hoping it’s better.
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

I really enjoyed Nope.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

After a bit of googling last night and time to sleep on it, I’ve revised my opinion and I don’t think it’s as bad as I may have made out in the post above. But it shouldn’t take googling to piece the missing bits of the puzzle for the film to make sense.

Get Out was utterly perfect.
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

I didn't watch that as it looked too scary for me but now I am tempted.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I am going to see Nope tonight, and am hoping for prettily filmed and a bit bonkers, so this all sounds acceptable. I am also very interested in Tilda and Idris in Three Thousand Years of Longing, so might try and get to that this weekend.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

I'd say Nope definitely ticks those boxes, Bats.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I thought Nope was marvellous. :)) Ridiculous and overblown and beautiful and bonkers. It was a bit over long and ultimately massively daft, but I knew that was what I was letting myself in for. My Mum kept elbowing me to ask what the chimpanzee had to do with anything. :lol:
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

Yeah I wasn't sure about that tbh. :lol:
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I have googled and read some articles and am marginally wiser, but am mostly just amused that so many people have asked 'what's the point of the chimp in Nope' that it autofills. :))
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

If we can do a wee spoiler and massive over generalization- I understood the relevance of the chimp to be that Jupe thought he could control nature whereas OJ understood and worked with nature. Or something
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

After Get Out last week, I am in such a mood for scrungy, nasty horror. In the last week I’ve watched Raw on DVD about a vegetarian vet student in Belgium who stops being strictly vegetarian when she goes to Uni. And now I’m watching Cargo on Netflix which is like 28 Days Later but set in the Aussie outback. Both are really, really well done.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

Son of Rambow is on Netflix and it’s utterly wonderful. It’s perfect for kids years 6 - 8 (with the occasional shit as a swear word) and plenty of nostalgia as it’s set in 1988. It’s just adorable
absley

Post by absley »

I can't remember if it was recommended on here (if so, thanks), but we watched 8 Rue de l'Humanité / Stuck Together on Netflix last night, a comedy about lockdown in Paris, which was a good watch.
Glint

Post by Glint »

We watched Fantastic Beasts - Secrets of Dumbeldore, which we all enjoyed, much better than the second one.

And last night, Uncharted with Tom Holland and Marky Mark. Quite daft and reminded me of National Treasure.
Skips

Post by Skips »

We saw Smile yesterday. It was OK, but quite predictable.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Mrs Harris Goes to Paris is just lovely. It was the perfect viewing for a Sunday afternoon under a blanket after a big lunch.