Podcasts & Blogs I like

Suzi.Q

Re: Podcasts & Blogs I like

Post by Suzi.Q »

Derek Nimmo wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:37 pm I've just listened to the first episode of The Retrievals. It was very very good but will also make you fucking furious.
This is so good! And yes, rage inducing. Women do not get taken seriously by medical professionals, and I’ve experienced this myself, as I’m sure all of us have.

I’d recommend The secret history of the Estonia, a bit conspiracy theorist but interesting and a good listen.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I'm on Scamanda, thanks to Tattle. It is eye-poppingly awful (the story, I mean: the podcast is great).
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Disco

Post by Disco »

Squirrel wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:04 am
Chicky wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:25 pm I’ve just started listening to Bone Valley which is excellent.
Thank you for this, I listened to the whole thing and it was excellent.
This thread has just popped up at this post being my first unread, I've been listening to Bone Valley! I'm not a podcast person but I've been listening to some while I've been only able to walk fort exercise. I'm only on episode 3 of BV but I'm glad to read it is excellent.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

As we’re all almost of a certain age, I highly recommend ‘Sausage on a Fork’ where the presenter interviews someone from Grange Hill. I absolutely loved it and I’m really enjoying hearing the actors talk about their experiences (even if some of the actors were on it a bit before my time)

The presenter is doing the best job he can and it helps to look up who the actors are on google to refresh your memory (and the actors will refer to other actors by their names rather than the character names so it sometimes gets a teensy bit confusing) but those minor gripes aside I’m really enjoying it.

First episode was Ricky Simmonds who played my first ‘realistic’ crush Ant Jones and his fabulous 80s mullet. He was really interesting and entertaining and there’s later episodes with Roland and Imelda which I’m looking forward to.
Last edited by Hazey_Jane on Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disco

Post by Disco »

That sounds good, Hazey. I remember that Ricky Simmonds. He was on the cover of my copy of Brother In The Land.

I used to be friends with a girl on Grange Hill. I wonder if she'll appear on this. I will listen to all of it. As I do remember it from the start even though I was tiny.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

Disco wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:00 pm That sounds good, Hazey. I remember that Ricky Simmonds. He was on the cover of my copy of Brother In The Land.
Was he??

I’ve messaged him a few times on Twitter and told him how much I used to love him. He was very lovely about it and seems a genuinely nice bloke
Arrietty

Post by Arrietty »

baargain wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:27 pm I've been listening to The Magnus Archives, Lily would probably love it. Lots of short paranormal stories, all linked together into an overarching story.
I've been listening to these, mainly while recovering from eye operations. I really like them, but there is something about Jon's voice that is incredibly soporific and I often only wake up when the end credits roll 😂.
Disco

Post by Disco »

I always thought it was him. I had my copy around the same time he was on GH.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Disco

Post by Disco »

I know that's a drawing but I always thought it was him but now it's seeming less likely under [my own] scrutiny. :lol:
rosy

Post by rosy »

I've been listening to I Am Not Nicholas about Nicholas Rossi/Alahverdian. Its on Audible and I don't know if it's available on other patforms, sorry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Alahverdian

He's been living in Scotland under the name Arthur Knight, and claims that when he was in hospital with Covid the staff there changed his fingerprints and tattoooooeed him with the same tattoos as Nicholas Rossi. He faked his own death in 2020 and someone claiming to be his wife Louise contacted people in the USA requesting memorial services.

The episode where a recording of "Louise" is played had me shouting at the phone!

The podcast host believed at first that he wasn't Nicholas Rossi, so it's as much about her research and her realisation as it is about Rossi's crazy story.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

Disco wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:32 pm I know that's a drawing but I always thought it was him but now it's seeming less likely under [my own] scrutiny. :lol:
:lol: that’s brilliant. I can see why kiddie Diccers would have thought it was him. I shall have to re-read my copy of Brother in the Land which I bought when we all went through a post-apocalyptic literature phase a few years ago.

I Am Not Nicholas sounds fascinating, thank you Rosy. How could it not be him?
rosy

Post by rosy »

It's utterly mad. He has this weird Irish accent which comes and goes and claims a birthdate in the late 1980s but his "memories" of Ireland are like Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha come to life. He also claims he was in London on 7/7, but gets the year wrong. It's compelling listening.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

Arrietty wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:15 pm
baargain wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:27 pm I've been listening to The Magnus Archives, Lily would probably love it. Lots of short paranormal stories, all linked together into an overarching story.
I've been listening to these, mainly while recovering from eye operations. I really like them, but there is something about Jon's voice that is incredibly soporific and I often only wake up when the end credits roll 😂.
It got quite silly and wearing towards the end, so I confess I gave up :)) I get what you mean though!
Disco

Post by Disco »

I've got my copy of BinL to see if there was any insight. The illustrator is named on the back and I'm so tempted to stalk him to ask him. I still think it's Ricky. :mog:

That Nicholas Rossi is a lunatic.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Ooh, it does sound like my cuppa!

I've just finished Believe In Magic. It was distressing and shocking. As an aside, don't we get our money's worth for the BBC? The standard of TV, radio and podcasts is absurdly high. I don't know what I'd do without it.

baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

That is a good (and distressing) one, lils. You might also like Nobody Should Believe Me, as its about the same issue.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Baa, my therapist friend recommended Esther Perel's podcasts to me (when I was bemoaning how quickly I'd watched Couples Therapy :))), and has just dropped me a line saying I might like "Dear Therapists" too. Have you listened to either of them?
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

Yes! I think you would like Esther perel, I have not listened to the other one though.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

baargain wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:06 pm That is a good (and distressing) one, lils. You might also like Nobody Should Believe Me, as its about the same issue.
Thank you!

I'm just finishing Filthy Ritual, about a very bizarre scam. It's done by the women who do Red-handed, which I stopped listening to as I didn't like their prurient glee at the stories they were telling. This is much better. Their chumminess suits the story .

rosy

Post by rosy »

I just started on Nobody Should Believe Me, thanks Baa. It’s quite challenging!