Podcasts & Blogs I like

smalex

Re: Podcasts & Blogs I like

Post by smalex »

Can you listen to it and tell me if its worthwhile please Sal Mac?
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

smalex wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:54 pm Can you listen to it and tell me if its worthwhile please Sal Mac?
I will indeed :))
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
sally maclennane

Don't bother with it, Smal, it doesn't tell you anything new.

I have listened to 5 episodes of No Body Recovered as recommended by Jupiter and am fascinated by it. It is partly because I know the area well, it's close to where my family live in Ireland. In fact, I was telling my mum about it (and trying to explain what a podcast is!) and she says she has a photo of my brother as a baby, taken on a beach in Donegal and in the background I'm playing with 2 little girls, the missing girl and her twin sister! They were a year older than me, and this was 1976 so the year before she went missing.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Wow! Really. God that's strange. I've listened to 3 of them and I'm hooked.

Thanks for heads up on LV. I suspected it might be that way
sally maclennane

smalex wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:26 pm Wow! Really. God that's strange. I've listened to 3 of them and I'm hooked.
My dad would mention it whenever there was anything about Robert Black on TV ( I can't remember which episode they discuss him) and he would talk about the photo too. For some reason, I thought the wee girl was from Northern Ireland and was visiting her grandparents in Donegal when she went missing but turns out she was actually from a little town about 10 miles from where my parents had their holiday home, and the beach in the photo is halfway between the towns.
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Wow Sal that is some connection!
smalex

Post by smalex »

It really is. They're on the Robert Black stuff in the episode I'm listening to.
sally maclennane

Its such a sad story and it's a shame the way things have ended up between her twin and her mum.
smalex

Post by smalex »

sally maclennane wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:21 pm
smalex wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:44 pm Oh I was talking about the Peter Bergmann thing :lol:

I was put off West Cork because of the audible subscription, but it's worth the hassle of subscribing and cancelling, I take it?
Oh sorry, l thought you meant WC! I think it was worth it, I've yet to go through the process of unsubscribing though :))
I'm finally doing WC because I needed Audible for W to read along a book they're doing for school. It'sreally interesting so far!

Are there any other similar podcasts on Audible does anyone know/could recc?
sally maclennane

i don't know about Audible as i cancelled it after the free trial but I did love WC, I was fascinated by the main guy, he was so awful!
smalex

Post by smalex »

I'm only 4 in.... I'll be back to chew the fat on it!
sally maclennane

Excellent!
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

I think I told you at the time that it completely changed my ex's mind about the case, and he'd pretty much grown up with it.

Its not my usual fare at all, but I'm missing travel so I've really got into "Far from Home" this weekend, about an American radio journalist and his brother undertaking the London to Mongolia rally in a Nissan Micra. Logistics, human interest, far-flung countries (I've fallen down a Google rabbit hole about Turkmenistan), car drama - it has it all!

Oh, also probably years after everyone else, Malcolm Gladwell's Revisionist Histories which are quite brilliant. "Each week, we go back and revisit something from the past: an event, a person, an idea. Something overlooked. Something misunderstood".
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

I love the Malcolm Gladwell podcast.

I listened to a really short (overall less than 50mins) BBC podcast the other day which was good. 2 school girls abduct a toddler in a North East branch of Primark. The High Street Abduction
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
sally maclennane

Derek Nimmo wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:28 am I think I told you at the time that it completely changed my ex's mind about the case, and he'd pretty much grown up with it.
Oh really? What was his take on it?
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

I don't want to say til Smal has listened to it :mute:
sally maclennane

Derek Nimmo wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:13 am I don't want to say til Smal has listened to it :mute:
Good idea!
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I am on Watling Street which is an interesting history podcast. Where does one find Atlantic please? I can't find it on BBC sounds nor Podbean.

I'm yet to find a podcast player I actually like.

When coronavirus first started, The Week did some podcast recommendations and I have lost the list I wrote. It included:

- GABA (which might be a bit too woooooo for me)
- Field Recordings (sounds of nature)
- There was also a random one where celebrities talk over music or nature sounds. Does anyone have any idea what I'm on about?
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I’ve just listened to the new BBC Louis Theroux podcast; in the first one he talks to Jon Ronson. I really enjoyed it, you probably need to be a fan of LT and JR already as they chat about their work a lot.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p089sfrz
sally maclennane

I got a new phone yesterday and most of my apps and associated info transferred over but mt podcasts didn't so I had to go back through to find them and subscribe again :verm:

So while I was doing that, I came across this one "What happened to Annie?" It's about a Swedish girl who was found dead on a beach in Scotland. The police claim it was suicide but her family dispute this. I've only listened to one episode but it seems quite interesting so far.