Podcasts & Blogs I like

sally maclennane

Re: Podcasts & Blogs I like

Post by sally maclennane »

Sounds good, I quite like SKS but can never listen without remembering Ruby's comment about the gravel crunch :lol:
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Excellent, I will check that out as long as there is an answer at the end of it.

Witchhassle has a new series including "plague magic" at the start of each episode, which may be interesting to the wooooooooooo amongst you. Also fascinating from a historical perspective.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
smalex

Post by smalex »

Thanks Beatrix, I'll have a listen.
sally maclennane

My brother recommended The Nobody Zone about an Irish man who killed members of the London homeless community. I had seen it a few time in podcast charts and never really fancied it but it's pretty good really.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

I listened to that a few weeks ago, Sal - it was quite good.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

"You're Wrong About" - loads of episodes, only a few in but so far very much up my street.
Mike and Sarah are journalists obsessed with the past. Every week they reconsider an event or person or trend that's been miscast in the public imagination.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I listened to Hope High yesterday and it didn't lessen my despair any. I need more laughter. You're Wrong About sounds right up my street too as I spend half my life doing that it appears.

sally maclennane

Edith Bacon wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:36 pm I listened to that a few weeks ago, Sal - it was quite good.
Oh good, I'll let you know when I've finished it!
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Derek Nimmo wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:44 pm "You're Wrong About" - loads of episodes, only a few in but so far very much up my street.
Mike and Sarah are journalists obsessed with the past. Every week they reconsider an event or person or trend that's been miscast in the public imagination.
I tried this but I felt so dreadful for the day care staff wrongly accused of Satanic abuse that I couldn't listen to another one. I tried the Sarah Millican one on Audible but I just didn't find it funny (sorry Sarah) so I'm sticking to my favourites of Spooked and No Sleep. There is a special spooky story site called Covid Campfire which people may enjoy. :goat:

indigo

Post by indigo »

Maps of the Lost now has a podcast. Highly recommended.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

indigo wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 7:11 am Maps of the Lost now has a podcast. Highly recommended.
Very much enjoying this. Thank you. :goat:

I am enjoying Field Recordings to have on in the background when reading or writing. It is very calming.

Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

There’s a new R4 series about the Post Office Horizon accounting convictions scandal, if anyone else is interested. I remember feeling physically sick when I first heard (or read... I can’t remember) about this.

One of the innocent postmasters who was convicted and sent to prison was a pregnant woman who in her own words, had never had so much as a parking ticket before.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000jf7j

ETA: this may have been where I first heard about it
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000f5hb
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

I'm a few episodes into The Secret History of The Future, and really enjoying it. Any series that starts off with The Mechanical Turk is alright by me :geek:
Journey into the past and you’ll discover the secret history of the future. From the world’s first cyberattack in 1834, to 19th-century virtual reality, the Economist’s Tom Standage and Slate’s Seth Stevenson examine the historical precedents that can transform our understanding of modern technology, predicting how it might evolve and highlighting pitfalls to avoid. Discovering how people reacted to past innovations can also teach us about ourselves.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Squirrel wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:36 pm There’s a new R4 series about the Post Office Horizon accounting convictions scandal, if anyone else is interested. I remember feeling physically sick when I first heard (or read... I can’t remember) about this.

One of the innocent postmasters who was convicted and sent to prison was a pregnant woman who in her own words, had never had so much as a parking ticket before.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000jf7j

ETA: this may have been where I first heard about it
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000f5hb
This horrified me - I remember hearing about our (then) local postmistress/person/whatever being sacked for diddling the books and how shocked we all were. This is her: that poor, poor woman.

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/n ... ub-2657909

sally maclennane

I just finished the Post office podcast, that is a horrendous story, those poor people!

Slow Burn has a new season, it just started last week and is about David Duke who was the KKK leader. I think their stuff is generally quite good (they did the Nixon one, and also the one about Monica Lewinsky)
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

"Wind of Change' has been entertaining me today.

The presenter's continuing incredity that the CIA could have possibly used cultural manipulation as a tool in their Cold War armoury is annoying but that aside its a really fun listen about rock music and the 80s, and such an interesting period of 20th century history (that most of us were there for!).
sally maclennane

I have been listening to a Sky News podcast called Polonium and the Piano Player, about the death of Alexander Litvinyenko and how the guy who was playing piano in the hotel bar was also poisoned :look: Its pretty interesting and only 4 episodes long.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Oh really? That's right up my street, Sal. I will download that.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

How did I not know that there's a new series of Revisionist History? :weewee:

ETA I've also been enjoying a short but sweet series called 'The Town that Didn't Stare' about East Grinstead. It sounds like the most boring of premises - a history of a dormitory town in the South East but was actually super interesting :geek: Scientologists, druid circles and groundbreaking surgeries, oh my.
sally maclennane

I listened to Body on The Moor last week which was a BBC Sounds podcast, it was interesting although the episodes were only 10 minutes long, I'd have preferred fewer longer ones. I have just started listening to The Night Driver, an Australian podcast about a woman who went missing and has an interesting family background. There's only one episode so far.