Podcasts & Blogs I like

smalex

Re: Podcasts & Blogs I like

Post by smalex »

sally maclennane wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:16 am
Derek Nimmo wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:13 am I don't want to say til Smal has listened to it :mute:
Good idea!
I've listened now! I need to talk about it.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Speak!

(The ex was so sure it was a well-known case as it was so familiar to him that he'd blurted out who the 'murderer' was at the end of the second episode as he thought I knew :lg: He was convinced of Bailey's guilt at the start - which it seems is commonly accepted in Ireland - but by the end had totally changed his mind.)
smalex

Post by smalex »

I.... Well... I certainly think he could have done it, based on how oddly he behaved and how bizarre and unlikeable I found him, but I wasn't convinced at all, by the end. I was really convinced for several episodes, but the stuff about the Gardai, the witnesses who mysterious came forward or recanted etc then made turned my opinion. It was all such a bloody mess! That Marie woman deserved a podcast of her own, who on *earth* was she protecting? Really bizarre.
He was a thoroughly unlikable person, and I agree with whoever said on the podcast that his seeming 'enjoyment' of the situation had probably led him to say some of the inflammatory and attention seeking things he'd said, or been reported to have said, which (presuming he wasn't guilty) hadn't in any way helped his situation. He was a very odd guy and I also agreed with the person who said victims of domestic violence sometimes end up being blamed - I had to battle with myself and found it was hard to like her in reflection of how much I disliked him, and how much I couldn't understand why she'd tolerated him for so long, especially in light of him 'only' violently hospitalising her three times over 25 years.

If I'd have been him/them I'd have packed up and left years ago, I know, presuming him innocence, he shouldn't *have* to, but it seemed so obstinate to stay living in a remote community who were so convinced of his guilt.

The things about a man going into a travel agent on Christmas eve and wanting an urgent flight to Paris was very fleeting, but compelling. It would just be impossible to get to the truth now, I think, everything was so fogged by lies and bad investigations.

It was really interesting. Very well put together.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

I was willing to believe he was innocent, right up to the point at which he started talking about himself in the third person.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Ruby wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:51 pm I was willing to believe he was innocent, right up to the point at which he started talking about himself in the third person.
Up there with murderers' hair :))
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Hey, Ruby knows it's an absolute cast-iron guarantee of psychopathy.
sally maclennane

It's a good measure :lol:

I totally agree with you Smal about him sticking around the area. I get the whole thing of why you would move if you've not been found guilty but honestly, small Irish towns are SO insular, I cannot imagine wanting to stay when it's being made patently clear how people feel about you, and they will! I also felt real horror at how his partner described so casually the violence she had experienced from him, it was awful the way she had normalised it.

The guards were terrible, they made such a cock up of it all. I felt awful for her family, they must have no faith in the system at all.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Sticking around seemed to me to keep stoking the fire. Obviously I can't prove this but I feel like he'd have been less in everyone's cross hairs if they'd come back to England and lived anonymously.

I also felt awful for her family. Although the French 'conviction' seemed just as unsound as anything on the Irish side.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I can't find Atlantic; is that its full title please?
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
sally maclennane

Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

AHA! thank you! I've got it on my podcast player now.

sally maclennane

No worries, I liked it and was intrigued. I finished What Happened to Annie, it was worth a listen but not brilliant or especially gripping.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

sally maclennane wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:24 pm Don't bother with it, Smal, it doesn't tell you anything new.

I have listened to 5 episodes of No Body Recovered as recommended by Jupiter and am fascinated by it. It is partly because I know the area well, it's close to where my family live in Ireland. In fact, I was telling my mum about it (and trying to explain what a podcast is!) and she says she has a photo of my brother as a baby, taken on a beach in Donegal and in the background I'm playing with 2 little girls, the missing girl and her twin sister! They were a year older than me, and this was 1976 so the year before she went missing.
Wow, how strange! I am on the final episode of this now. Have you seen the photo?

sally maclennane

No, my mum said she'd dig it out for me.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I'd love to see it if you don't mind; it would also be interesting to know how she sussed that the little girl was in the picture. I guess that fewer photographs were taken in those days and they were put in albums so flicked through and seen regularly.

Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Oh FABULOUS!

The Mary Boyle podcast was good but I really hate it when there are no answers to anything. It makes me wonder what the point is. Did anyone hear "Girl Missing" on BBC Sounds? I felt that the chap who hid Bru was a bit of a knob to be honest.

I also discoverd the podcast I was searching for was GABA, one I had already subscribed to! Is anyone else listening to it? It's weird, but I like it.

Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Someone Knows Something has a new series starting 12th May.
sally maclennane

Thanks Jupiter, do you know what it's about?
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

It's about a 19 year old that goes missing on a road trip. I just realised I never finished season 5!