Netflix human recommendations

Lola

Re: Netflix human recommendations

Post by Lola »

Luna wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:05 pm I knew I recognised him! I spotted love actually boy straight away. He’s like Macauley Culkin. Cute child, ropey looking adult.
:))
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

Ella77 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:22 am Have you watched The Morning Show, Est?
I finally finished watching this last night. I got all the feels from it, especially the last 15 mins or so. It was well done.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

I just watched The Trial of The Chicago 7. It made me want to hit Frank Langella. It’s one of the few tolerable performances by Sasha Baron Cohen (I really dislike all the Ali G / Borat stuff) and has reinforced my belief that Eddie Redmayne always looks a bit like a slightly drooling frog.

PS it’s very good though.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Secrets of the Saqqara Tomb - some of the reconstructions of the findings are a bit cringy but you forgive for such a good subject matter. And the pure enthusiasm of all involved is lovely.
smalex

Post by smalex »

ParisGal wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:16 pm The only thing that's been annoying me about The Queen's Gambit is the ages of some of the actors/roles. I don't think these will be spoilers, but if you're particularly sensitive to advance knowledge, stop reading now :))

Jolene at the orphanage must be at least 13 when Beth arrives, aged 9, but is still there 6 years later.
The Mexican would presumably be within a year or two of his American penpal, but the actors are 13 years apart.
Isn't Beth 13 when she leaves? So 4yrs later. So if Jolene was actually 11 or 12, she could plausibly still be there?
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

Derek Nimmo wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:27 am Secrets of the Saqqara Tomb - some of the reconstructions of the findings are a bit cringy but you forgive for such a good subject matter. And the pure enthusiasm of all involved is lovely.
I very nearly watched this last night (watched Hot Tub Time Machine instead :mog: ) will add it to the list.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

smalex wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:56 am
ParisGal wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:16 pm The only thing that's been annoying me about The Queen's Gambit is the ages of some of the actors/roles. I don't think these will be spoilers, but if you're particularly sensitive to advance knowledge, stop reading now :))

Jolene at the orphanage must be at least 13 when Beth arrives, aged 9, but is still there 6 years later.
The Mexican would presumably be within a year or two of his American penpal, but the actors are 13 years apart.
Isn't Beth 13 when she leaves? So 4yrs later. So if Jolene was actually 11 or 12, she could plausibly still be there?
I got the impression 13 was a lie because Beth went to correct it and the house mistress gave a look.
smalex

Post by smalex »

AH! I did notice that but didn't twig it
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Yes, we watch with subtitles, so she definitely said "Actually I'm fif..".
smalex

Post by smalex »

Ah! During the course of adopting a child wouldn't you see their birth certificate?!
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Some viewers think the ‘we’re glad we got an older child’ comment and the look from the adopted dad in the car as they left implied they’d learnt the truth upon actual adoption.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Ah, ok.
I just took that as a teenage child rather than a baby and his look to be general antipathy to the whole situation
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

:lol: Maybe they didn't care? They must have known the truth, since (apparently) she went to school in the right age group.

ETA. I was afraid the look was pervy, but obvs it turned out he was just a git.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Well, that too, I thought he's either going to abuse her or he's just really unenthusiastic about this.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Same! I thought he was looking for an older child for a reason.

I started watching last night and had to force myself to turn it off at 12:30am.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, I haven’t read the thread as I don’t want to read anything ahead of the Queen’s Gambit episode I’m on.

BUT, Mr S looked up the Billy Watts actor!
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I recognised him straight away! Though emma_p did mention a Love Actually actor so my brain might have had a head start.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I have serious face blindness, especially with men. I never would have got further than “have probably seen him before”.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Oh I always recognise him instantly. He's in GoTs as well. And he's the voice of Ferb in Phineas & Ferb. :lol:
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

No idea what he's called. Obvs.