Netflix human recommendations

Shoe

Re: Netflix human recommendations

Post by Shoe »

That's the one S talked me through while I tried not to watch, he really liked it too. :))
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

I started Unorthodox today and am loving it - I have a hole in my TV-watching life after finishing Deutschland 86, and this is made by the same people, apparently. And I'm fascinated by the Hasidic community.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

Smal, it's not Netflix but you should listen to the 30 for 30 podcast by ESPN. So good - about lots of American sports, various different angles. I've loved every episode I've listened to. Tell me if you listen to the one about women's basketball, I am DESPERATE to talk to people about that.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Ooh thanks, I'll try and listen (my podcast listening time is an unfortunate victim of home schooling so I'm not getting through them like I usually do :cry: )
Margo

Post by Margo »

I binged on Into The Night this morning. Pretty good, and I now have a new man crush!
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

smalex wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 5:40 pm On a probably less popular subject, we're enjoying the Michael Jordan documentary even though we don't know much about him and even less about basketball. We are quite keen on a sports documentary though which isn't everyone's bag, I know :mrgreen:
I’ve keep meaning to watch too. I’ve also got Michelle Obama earmarked as well but I think it’ll send me into a pit of depression.

I’m watching Little Fires Everywhere which is so brilliantly acted but I’m really working hard to not let Kerry Washington’s perma cry expression and curled lip put me off.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

The fucking snarling! It really ruins any scene with her in it.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Anyone watching Run on Sky? I’ve seen one and I’m into it. Anything with Merritt Wever!
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

RUDE.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Ella77 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 7:10 pm The fucking snarling! It really ruins any scene with her in it.
It REALLY is! :verm:

The tension between her and Reese Witherspoon is so good though. I’ve realised since watching Scandal that she unable to project any emotion without her eyes welling up like a Disney cartoon.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

Unorthodox done. Loved it
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

olive wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 7:33 pm
Ella77 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 7:10 pm The fucking snarling! It really ruins any scene with her in it.
It REALLY is! :verm:

The tension between her and Reese Witherspoon is so good though. I’ve realised since watching Scandal that she unable to project any emotion without her eyes welling up like a Disney cartoon.
I Googled the snarling as I thought it was just me, and there were loads of people complaining about it. She really does over-act a bit. Still a great programme though.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

Ella77 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 7:28 pmRUDE.
:))
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

Anyone who enjoys proper reality trash will enjoy Make or Break. And I’ve just started watching Singletown, which looks promising.
Montana

Post by Montana »

lazzbo wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 5:50 pm I started Unorthodox today and am loving it - I have a hole in my TV-watching life after finishing Deutschland 86, and this is made by the same people, apparently. And I'm fascinated by the Hasidic community.
Then you MUST watch Shtisel - also on Netflix. It's such a lovely series - a much more sympathetic, observational look at the Hasidic/Haredi community (I can never remember the difference) in Jerusalem and featuring the main actress in Unorthodox in a supporting role.
Last edited by Montana on Wed May 13, 2020 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

The Hasids are a subsection of the Haredi (ultra orthodox) movement. But basically it makes no difference, they're all crazy :teacher:
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Another sports one in Prime is the Dragon's Back Race. Its a race from North to South Wales across the mountains.

They run 60 km a day for five days down the spine of Wales. Absolutely insane levels of fitness and determination, especially the woman who won the very first one, she's entered it 20 years later at the age of 60. Amazing.

I want to go for a run now though. :lg:
Montana

Post by Montana »

Derek Nimmo wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 6:29 pm The Hasids are a subsection of the Haredi (ultra orthodox) movement. But basically it makes no difference, they're all crazy :teacher:
Thanks! :mrgreen: I think the Shtisel family are Haredi-but-not-Hasidic and live in the not quite so extreme Orthodox area of Jerusalem.
Last edited by Montana on Wed May 13, 2020 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Ooh thanks TC. I started lazzi's podcast today and it was good. One blessed hour to myself
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I’ve just started Great News, for something lighthearted. I enjoyed the first episode. Comedy about a TV journalist whose mother comes to work as an intern with her.