Netflix human recommendations

Squirrel

Re: Netflix human recommendations

Post by Squirrel »

Yes! Gabi’s dad is like a caricature. In fact the mom is too.

The injuries absolutely horrify me. And I can’t understand why they all love Monica on a personal level so much, she seems quite cold and distant. There must be a likeableness to her that I haven’t picked up on.

Luce

Post by Luce »

Turtle Bean wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:51 pm
I'm really enjoying Cheer but I can't help feeling it is hardly going to prepare them for later life. I feel sorry for them too, they shouldn't be this injured at such a young age. And Gabi's parents are horrors. The poor kid.
Absolutely. The number of concussions and at such a young age! For something that will almost certainly give them no career whatsoever.

It does seem to keep them focused, though and there is a lot to be said for that, I think.

smalex

Post by smalex »

I wasn't sure about Cheer at first but was absolutely captivated by the end. Such incredible athletes. I also had misgivings about Monica at first but thought she was pretty inspiring by the end.
I guess loads of kids/young adults pursue sports to a very time consuming level when there isn't much to be 'gained' from it in the end. Probably not so many injuries though!

smalex

Post by smalex »

Gabi's parents were definitely a spoof. Poor kid.

Beatrix

Post by Beatrix »

We watched Cheer over the weekend and enjoyed it. Americans are a bit mad, and I felt uncomfortable when they discussed the history of Texas and how conservative it is. I was very impressed by the athleticism, but really it felt like the programme was about Monica - it clearly takes something to win the way she does. I couldn't bear Gabi's parents, they were bizarre.

A couple of people have recommended The Stranger so we'll try that next, although I can't say I particularly enjoyed Safe so I hope it's better.

Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Glint wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:30 pm
I'm a few episodes into Next in Fashion and enjoying it. It's Project Runway but slightly more polished outfits (so far).
I binged it this weekend, was an excellent guilty pleasure.

H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

If you’ve not seen it, try Schitt’s Creek. It’s really good fun.

Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

I second the Schitt’s Creek recommendation. It starts off a bit manic and overly silly but when it finds its feet it’s cracking comedy and good natured, never cruel about its protagonists or the butt of jokes
Last edited by Hazey_Jane on Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
As he told her that he loved her she gazed into his eyes, wondering, as she noted the infestation of eyelash mites, the tiny deodicids burrowing into his follicles to eat the greasy sebum therein, each female laying up to 25 eggs in a single follicle, causing inflammation, whether the eyes are truly the windows of the soul; and, if so, his soul needed regrouting.

Beatrix

Post by Beatrix »

Interesting. I’ve tried to get into Schitt’s Creek a couple of times but not managed. Maybe I should persevere.

I’ve just watched the final episode of the Good Place. I didn’t realise it was ending, although there wasn’t anywhere else for it to go.

First episode of The Stranger has me intrigued, so we’ll continue with it.

Luce

Post by Luce »

I've tried SC and only got about 6 episodes in but might try and persevere too!

I absolutely adore The Good Place and was devastated it was ending, although completely right. I finally agreed to get T to watch it on Friday and he's now 20 episodes in because the big idiot loves it too, just like I told him he would!

Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

I love Schitt’s Creek, definitely persevere with it.

We are in Ep. 4 of The Stranger and enjoying it.

I also need to catch up on that final episode of the Good Place.

Estrella

Post by Estrella »

I tried SC but couldn’t get into it either.

I have one episode of Cheer left. I am enjoying it a lot. They can do amazing things! Though I feel for those kids. Some of them have had awful childhoods. I had a little cry about Morgan and Jerry :l:

Kleio

Post by Kleio »

I was so sad when the Good Place was ending but the final episode was so perfect.

rosy

Post by rosy »

I cried so hard through the final episode of The Good Place but it was just right. Sorry I didn’t mean to spoil anything. Apologies.

I didn’t want it to end but equally I didn’t want it to be spoiled by going on past the sweet spot. I will probably start again from the beginning and watch it all again. :love:

I finally finished Travelers [sic] and I wish that it had been picked up for a fourth series with new travellers and a new effort to save the future, but apparently the series was cancelled after season three. Bad decision! Even I could invent a story arc and characters to continue the story.
Last edited by rosy on Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Friends don't let you do stupid things..... alone

Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I lost interest in The Good Place during this last series, so maybe I should watch the rest if the ending is good. I really liked the first series, and the second was quite good, but I felt it really tailed off after that.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.

Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Spoilers, rosy!

Estrella

Post by Estrella »

I had to scroll past your post really quickly, rosy once I realised you gave details about the episode. I’m a bit behind on this last season.

Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Yes me too!

Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

No spoilers on this thread! :drill:
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.

Disco

Post by Disco »

Ella77 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:43 am
Spoilers, rosy!
Indeed!