The Haunting of Hill House **SPOILERS**

Turtle Bean

The Haunting of Hill House **SPOILERS**

Post by Turtle Bean »

Hello. So what did you think of the ending? I found the whole story really fascinating but the last bit slightly confusing. Is the house evil and are Nell and her mum and dad now trapped there?
Hamm

Re: The Haunting of Hill House **SPOILERS**

Post by Hamm »

I know nothing, I only saw a clip last night on gogglebox. The spoiler means nothing to me but I will be back.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Turtle Bean wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:01 pm Is the house evil and are Nell and her mum and dad now trapped there?
Yes, but they are there together - if you see what I mean? So they can be happy. Not all the ghosts were angry/scary. The old woman and the bloke mending the clock etc. It's most just that flapper woman who is an evil bitch.

I didn't understand why the Dudleys were so blasé about having their daughter killed.
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

FINISHED!

The house is definitely evil. :yes: It feeds on people.

I think the Dudleys valued being able to visit their ghost daughter in the house and ultimately join her there over reporting her death to the police. Because that would have upped the legal ante from it being purely about Olivia having killed herself there. In other words Hugh would have lost the house as he would probably been jailed, and the house would have been torn down. They weren't so much ok with it but they didn't blame Olivia and wanted the only option that left them a chance of seeing the daughter, even as a ghost

I really enjoyed this. I particularly loved the editing, plotting and storytelling where puzzling things were explained from a different point of view as you went along. Even in the last episode, the thing about the Red Room being all those different rooms for each person. The fact that Stephen thought he had never seen a ghost. That Luke's imaginary friend was real all along. And the fact that inside HH there was almost invariably something in the background of the shot that was creepy or not right.

Episode 5 where you found out the truth about the bent-necked lady made me :cry:, as did the flashback in Ep 9 to the first moment the family arrived at the house where you saw how happy they were once. And the fucking jump scare screaming ghost in the car with Theo and Shirl was brilliantly AARGH! Episode 6 with the long takes was amazing and must have been one hell of a thing to film. I also like a director/writer who isn't afraid of a good monologue and meaty dialogue.

Nitpicking: all the other ghosts looked the age they were when they died. EXCEPT. Hugh who turned back into Henry Thomas and Mrs Dudley who went from white haired old lady back to how she was in 1992.
Disco

Post by Disco »

I cried when we discovered the truth about bent neck lady.
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Actually that whole episode was heartbreaking thinking about it. Spending 4 episodes what happened to Nell's marriage because she seemed blissfully happy at the wedding and then seeing his death, just like that. And he was so lovely. :cry:
Luce

Post by Luce »

I finished this last night and LOVED it but I’m so relieved I don’t need to watch it anymore. The jump scare in the car nearly killed me.
Jet

Post by Jet »

I’ve just read this after the bent neck lady truth (that’s as far as we are along) and i felt a bit oddly relieved and equally heart broken that it’s been her all along :cry:

Mr J wanted me to check the locks but I’ve helpfully pointed out ghosts don’t care about locks :uhh:
Half-ten?! Half-ten?! I've never been up at half-ten! What happens?
Livilla

Post by Livilla »

Rebel Pebble wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:22 pm And the fucking jump scare screaming ghost in the car with Theo and Shirl was brilliantly AARGH!
I watched the viewers on Googlebox screaming themselves silly over that scene, it was hilarious to watch. :lol:
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Livilla wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:15 pm
Rebel Pebble wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:22 pm And the fucking jump scare screaming ghost in the car with Theo and Shirl was brilliantly AARGH!
I watched the viewers on Googlebox screaming themselves silly over that scene, it was hilarious to watch. :lol:

I can imagine! :)) Mr R and I nearly jumped off the sofa together. You're just so involved in the row between Theo and Shirl and getting a bit annoyed with them, not expecting it at all. SO well done. :fee:
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

PSA. Today, Netflix. Bly Manor. :nerves: :bounce:

Reviews are saying it takes longer to get going than Hill House. And that Henry Thomas has a ropey English accent.
Luna

Post by Luna »

I’m watching this. It is a bit slow but it’s holding my attention.
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

That gels with what most of the reviews are saying. I'm saving it for later and darkness. :mrgreen:
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Fabulous. Thank you.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

God, why, oh why, oh why did they have to set this one in England? :banghead:

I would rather they'd just moved the story to the US. That would have been fine with me. I'm getting distracted by the ropey accents and anachronisms, The whole boarding school sequence was cringeworthy. NO WE DON'T HAVE THE NATIONAL FLAG IN CLASSROOMS HERE DO YOUR RESEARCH. I can't tell what's meant to be creepy and weird and what's crappy stilted dialogue written to make people sound "British"

I'm disappointed. I loved Hill House so much. :sad:
Luna

Post by Luna »

I’ve stopped watching.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

There is SO much wrong with their version of Britain. Why couldn’t they get a British person to run an eye over this at some point, FFS?
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Ella77 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:33 pm There is SO much wrong with their version of Britain. Why couldn’t they get a British person to run an eye over this at some point, FFS?
This is what is SO frustrating. They've at least used some British actors, so why not cough up for some kind of, I dunno, cultural consultant. Or just pull a random Brit off the street in LA - there must be a few left - and ASK THEM. :))

I've only watched 2 episodes. I may go your way, Luna. Can't see myself making it to the full nine.
Luna

Post by Luna »

I think I got to episode 4 maybe. I’m now watching Emily in Paris which is utter piffle but so pretty :))
Luce

Post by Luce »

Ella77 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:33 pm There is SO much wrong with their version of Britain. Why couldn’t they get a British person to run an eye over this at some point, FFS?
I have said almost this exact same thing. I'm only 3 episodes in so can't tell if they're deliberately weird or just an American version of British. I was really hoping it's the former but fear it may be the latter.