Film 2019

Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Re: Film 2019

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

We’re booked to see it tomorrow night. The kids are currently watching AntMan & The Wasp but ivemissed most of it.
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

Goose was one of the best bits :))
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Goose was brilliant.

The whole film is brilliant.
Froozy

Post by Froozy »

I’m going to see it on Friday and am desperately trying not to give in to spoilering myself.

People who’ve watched it: do you think the reviews have been generally meh because most reviewers are male?
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

I never read reviews, but probably :))
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

100%, Froozy.

I watched A Simple Favor [sic] on the plane, and it was brilliantly shit. Blake Lively and Anna Kendrick, nonsense plot, lovely :)).
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

Watched Creed II last night which I thoroughly enjoyed. Such a good way to revitalize the Rocky films while standing up on its own merits and as its own film. Tessa Thompson in particular was amazing.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

Oh man. I just adored Captain Marvel. It was so wonderful, I don’t know where to begin.

I’m so jealous of girls like Kleio’s Betty having such a role model at that age.
Luce

Post by Luce »

I imagine the poor reviews are probably from people who think it is either too feminist or from people like me who say not feminist enough*. Had I not known better, I would have thought it was written/directed by a man.

Still, loads better than Wonder Woman, though. There was zero mention of her looks or how they are an asset, for a start.

*For example, no spoilers, but there is mention about how two particular women were never friends and I hate the 'women can't be friends' narrative because I find it to be bollocks.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

At first I thought you meant between two other characters but now I get what you mean Luce. Yes, on reflection that bit was unnecessary. But I totally bought the friendship between Carol and Maria. And I applauded the bit when Monica berated her mother for not showing her a good example.

And I know this totally isn’t the message of the movie but I’m in love with Brie Larsson. I want her hair so badly.
Luce

Post by Luce »

I agree, Brie is never not good. I think she's a Good Egg in real life, too.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

How brilliant were her non LaserQuesr outfits? I’m I looked just like that in 1995 (except I wore The Farm T-shirts not NIN)

Sorry I could go on and on about it. Just wonderful.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Her hair was lovely.

I think it was probably as feminist as we’ll ever get from such a macho genre. Which is shame but it was a decent effort.

MrMcLip and I were having hissed arguments all the way through over whether the music was really 1995. I was right and he was wrong on every count.
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

I enjoyed it. I liked the humour. It was reasonably feminist.
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

I saw it last night and really liked it - I thought it was feminist enough in the way that, apart from a little bit of showing her overcoming some 90’s sexism, not a huge deal was particularly made of the fact she was a woman. The role could almost have been played by a man and not much would have changed, character wise, and I liked that.

I also like the fact there was no romance - one thing that bugged me in the otherwise excellent Wonder Woman film was that the man in it also had to have his own huge heroic story act. It’s ok to just make it all about your leading lady Hollywood!
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I watched The Favourite this afternoon, and although a lot of the acting was clearly good, I thought it was shit actually. Just me?
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I was disappointed by it too and a bit bored; the acting and costumes and set and everything were superb but it just lacked something.

I stumbled across Nina Forever last night, which was very dark and much better and funnier than I expected.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

I watched A Star is Born and Can You Ever Forgive Me? on the plane and loved them both.
F'Artiste

Post by F'Artiste »

I watched Captain Marvel on Thursday and it was perfect :love2:. I really enjoyed that there was no romance. I’d happily see it again and again to be honest :love:.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I loved Captain Marvel. I also really liked the lack of romance, the bigger role for Fury and the friendship between Carol and Maria.

The soundtrack was amazing, and I also liked that it had so many female artists. I even happily sat through the credits as I was enjoying Celebrity Skin so much. :love:
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.