Film 2019

Hazey_Jane

Film 2019

Post by Hazey_Jane »

Can we do a new film thread for 2019 (and steal the unused name from the BBC?)

This morning I watched the Bros documentary Bros: After the Screaming Stopped via the BBC iPlayer. It was hilarious and really interesting, even if you weren’t a Brosette (I wasn’t at all, I think it was just before I got into Smash Hits in a big way.) My favourite bit (and there’s quite a few) was the conker discussion. Highly recommended.

(As a companion film, watch This Is Spinal Tap after Bros)
Morganna

Re: Film 2019

Post by Morganna »

I saw the Bros thing, too - we may well have been watching in synch!

They were complete fruitloops, weren't they? I loved the bit where one of them was claiming that the worst problem ever is the fact that children in Britain can't play with conkers. Or if they do, they have to wear goggles!

The other one was looking like this :shrug: :? , which was pretty much how I saw it.

They fell out over nothing, and each was obsessively jealous of the other. It must be difficult to go from hero to zero like that; but when all's said and done, they were successful for a couple of years, but just amongst teenyboppers - they were never a 'serious' band that was going to last. As I remember them, anyway. They would have been better advised to be glad for the good times, but move on, like so many others like them have had to do.
Luna

Post by Luna »

I hated Bros. I think I was about 5 years too old for them but the documentary sounds good.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

Looks like it's worth a watch.

Bros passed me by completely I was 13 when they had their first hit and Wham! had only disbanded a few years back so I was bored of the boyband/pop type stuff by then.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

You definitely don't need to be a fan to appreciate the unintentional comedy :)). Hazey's right - it's very Spinal Tap.

One of them wears a 1950s bandana in bed, so that it travels over his face in the night to inspire him (or something).

The bit where he's skint and asks his girlfriend for his ring back is meant to be tragic, but even that is hilarious, as she tells him she wants a big one anyway :lol:. I think the humour is in the delivery, as they have no idea that they are a parody of themselves.
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

The Bros documentary is one of the funniest things I've seen. They are (unintentionally, I"m sure) hilarious!
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

I'm watching it now, Matt is wired to the moon. :mog:
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Toast
Delboy

Post by Toast »

I’ve watched it twice! So many good one liners. I was a massive Bros fan back in the day. I still have scars from the Grolsch bottle tops on my feet ❤️
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

We watched the Bros thing last night :dotty:. It was unbelievably funny and hard to believe it’s not a parody. So many scenes could have been taken straight from Spinal Tap. Hilarious cringefest.

I know that Brosettes were a thing and they were famous for a while, but did the film really say that they had four platinum albums?! I only remember two songs. I may have misheard?
smalex

Post by smalex »

I saw the Bros director on BBC Breakfast the other day and he unconvincingly claimed the brothers were fine now. Yeah right. That resentment is going to the grave.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

Mary Poppins Returns.It was utterly sublime.

I was smiling before the end of the second line and I only stopped smiling when I was crying during the Gone But Not Forgotten bit (sad tears).
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

I want to see Mary Poppins again. My mum had seen the original with her aunt, who died recently, so it was a bit bittersweet for her but she loved it too. My work friend has offered to come and see it again and I think ill take her up on it.
Luna

Post by Luna »

I'd see it again. I loved it.
indigo

Post by indigo »

I want to see it again too. I've had the soundtrack on constantly since Thursday.

FB friends will have seen my recent post of the book I got as a Christmas present from my dad in 1978. He also took me to see the original film, which was my first ever trip to the cinema. :love2: He went to see the new film today and said he cried all through it. :lol:
absley

Post by absley »

I've finally managed to see RBG which is a documentary about Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg, who has done so much for women's rights in the US. I really recommend it - she's so inspirational. It came out last year but apparently there have been new showings as part of award nomination season.

I also saw A Star is Born - great performances by both leads but I wish it had been shorter, as I got bored.
Last edited by absley on Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

A shiny new thread!

I've just watched Moonlight (t's on Amazon Prime). It's a wonderful film, although difficult viewing at times.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

I didn’t like Mary Poppins (although I saw it in 2018). The original holds such a bing part of my heart and I’d hoped for good things but felt a bit let down. The music was forgettable and it didn’t feel like Mary Poppins. As a Nanny film though it was good.

We saw Bumblebee today (children’s choice) and I loved it. The cartoon was one of my favourites as a child and the rest of the movies have been rubbish. This is the film the franchise deserves!

A million years after the rest of the world I’ve just seen Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom and it wasn’t bad. Not great but an ok way to spend 90-odd minutes.
cluefree

Post by cluefree »

We watched The 13th last night. It should be required viewing for everyone. :cry:
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

I finished watching the Bros documentary last night, they were crackers. So much resentment between them! It was so uncomfortable to watch at times.

I think we'll try The 13th later, Cluef.
cluefree

Post by cluefree »

It’s brilliant, Pov. It will make you sad and furious. Which is exactly what you want out of a relaxing evening. :look: