Film 2019

smalex

Re: Film 2019

Post by smalex »

No, not in order, I've scanned through netflix and sky and saved any which are available so we'll probably go through those first, and we've got some odd ones on DVD. Some are available to rent on sky so we'll probably go through those next. I'm not sure how we'll go through the more obscure ones, hunt them down on 2nd hand dvd maybe. We will rewatch ones we've seen, except, like you, there is one we've seen very recently.
I am a bit worried about getting bogged down in old B&W films because there's a lot of that ilk.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

It’s a long time since I used them but Lovefilm is gone, and these are not.
https://www.cinemaparadiso.co.uk
smalex

Post by smalex »

Oh good idea! I was thinking of ebay or amazon, but renting would be better.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

Livilla wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:35 pm

Recent movies seen include How to Train Your Dragon 3, which was the boys' choice, but just as enjoyable as the other two, and just as heart-tugging, though in a different way. The characters end up as adults doing adult things at the end of it, which was a nice coda.

Ooh - how did you manage to see it - A is desperate - she's basically been waiting for it to come out for the last 3 years!

I'm didn't think that much of Mary Poppins Returns when I saw it - but I really struggled with Emily Blunt in it (and I normally love her) as she wasn't Julie Andrews. I also hated Michael and his ridiculous moustache, and thought the songs overall were weak. Kids loved it though.

I saw The Favourite last weekend and really enjoyed it - the 3 female leads were all brilliant and I loved the costumes (so much navy :love: ) and Emma Stone's hair colour so much that I've found a picture and am going to ask for it to be done that colour the next time I go - the perfect honey/ golden blonde.

I also discovered when doing some investigations as to Olivia Colman's age :look: that I was at school with her for a year - she was 4 years above me though so I have no recollection of her whatsoever.
Livilla

Post by Livilla »

Flora Poste wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:25 am
Livilla wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:35 pm

Recent movies seen include How to Train Your Dragon 3, which was the boys' choice, but just as enjoyable as the other two, and just as heart-tugging, though in a different way. The characters end up as adults doing adult things at the end of it, which was a nice coda.

Ooh - how did you manage to see it - A is desperate - she's basically been waiting for it to come out for the last 3 years!
Being on the other side of the world, unfortunately for you- it came out on 1 January in Australia/New Zealand! :)) A will love it, though.

Cool about the Olivia Coleman connection!
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I concur with you about all that Flora - it was SO well done - I just felt that it could have been a lot more. The acting was phenomenal, the costumes were, the sets were, it was just the writing, I think.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

I really enjoyed The Favourite, from start to finish - I think the claustrophic, detailed nature of it all was very deliberate, and didn't feel it was overly long unlike most films I go to see these days :granny:
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

Thanks for the list Smalex, I like it (i.e I've seen a fair few and there aren't too many old/ foreign ones)
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

I've just finished watching Roma (it's on Netflix), an amazing film. It's set against a backdrop of political unrest in Mexico in 1970/71 but, overwhelmingly, it's about women looking out for each other. Do watch if you haven't yet.
Elya

Post by Elya »

Rosa wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:39 pm I've just finished watching Roma (it's on Netflix), an amazing film. It's set against a backdrop of political unrest in Mexico in 1970/71 but, overwhelmingly, it's about women looking out for each other. Do watch if you haven't yet.
We watched half of this last night - it’s quite slow and I had no idea what it was about beforehand, but am enjyoing it.

BJK on desert island discs is worth a listen.
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

Do stick with it, Elya. I sometimes struggle with foreign language films, but got really engrossed in this one.

That Desert Island Discs episode was good, and she has great taste in music too!
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

I've just cried pretty much all the way through Mary Poppins. It was lovely.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

:love: isn’t it, Bean? It really bears watching again, too. I loved hearing all the musical themes from the original film throughout the score. Sometimes that alone made me well up!
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

It’s just so perfect and nostalgic :cry:

We’ve been listening to the soundtrack a lot. Liv is pretty much word perfect to Trip a little light fantastic :love:
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

Captain Marvel is good fun. She has Tony Stark levels of snark with a smirk.

I also saw the trailer for the new Spider-Man movie, and for Shazam. Both look worth a watch. Plus of course Avengers 4.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

I’m off to see Captain Marvel in an hour and I’m very excited. I even bought a t shirt. :lol:
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

Captain Marvel is amazing :disco:
F'Artiste

Post by F'Artiste »

Captain Marvel is on at Baby Cinema next week, and Ali am SO excited about seeing it.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

I’m going on Sunday!!!
Luce

Post by Luce »

I really liked it but not sure I loved it as much as T.

I have a few reservations, especially the Nike advert type feminism but hey, it's a commercial film etc etc. But I still love Brie Larson so much, she's wicked.

I loved all the Goose stuff :))