Film 2020

Luce

Re: Film 2020

Post by Luce »

Do you know, that is why I love Disney for this kind of thing at the moment*. Rey in Star Wars, for example - she's strong and smart and capable but in no way 'masculine'. She screams and has emotion that is perfectly justified. Her strength is both physical and mental. Similarly in Frozen 2 - the male character was very much a plot device for the female characters. His entire story is his love for Anna and learning to love his emotions and he doesn't try to 'fix' anything for his partner. It's baby steps but I appreciate that my male children are given characters like this to idolise.

I'm ok with Little Women though - yes it is a common trope now but it wasn't then and that is what the film is, so.

*I'm aware that Disney have done the patriarchy's job very well so far, but you know what I mean.
Froozy

Post by Froozy »

I’m just home from seeing Little Women and I loved it :love2:. It has been one of my favourite (set of) books for about 40 years and I thought the film just worked (except for the actors playing Laurie and Bhaer).

I felt if anything it was a good reflection of the roles women had at the time (I don’t have much knowledge to back this up though), and agree how depressing it is that fictionally, at least, that hasn’t really changed in a fundamental way.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Luce wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:21 pm Do you know, that is why I love Disney for this kind of thing at the moment*. Rey in Star Wars, for example - she's strong and smart and capable but in no way 'masculine'. She screams and has emotion that is perfectly justified. Her strength is both physical and mental. Similarly in Frozen 2 - the male character was very much a plot device for the female characters. His entire story is his love for Anna and learning to love his emotions and he doesn't try to 'fix' anything for his partner. It's baby steps but I appreciate that my male children are given characters like this to idolise.

I'm ok with Little Women though - yes it is a common trope now but it wasn't then and that is what the film is, so.

*I'm aware that Disney have done the patriarchy's job very well so far, but you know what I mean.
It is good but I also noticed when the boys were looking at Star Wars figures yesterday that the majority left on the shelves were Rey and Rose. Mine have a Rey figure because Father Christmas bought it but I’m not sure they would have chosen her themselves.
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

I wasn't that keen on Little Women. I liked the cast generally although Laura Dern was terribly miscast and quite bad in it, and it looked pretty but the structure was a big old mess. Why start in the middle of the book? It was confusing and removed any dramatic tension as you knew the end before it started almost. Which might not matter for those who have read the book but I went with three (3) people who had not. One of them used to be a teacher. I was quite shocked.
Little My

Post by Little My »

I haven't bothered with the last couple of Little Women movies. I was tempted to take my daughter to this one, but I'm worried it's too sad for me right now. (Beth) But I have read the book many times. ;)

Jumanji was good, we saw it today.
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

The Beth part is so confusingly presented you won't be sure if she's recovered or died so don't worry.
viggy

Post by viggy »

I went to see Jojo Rabbit with my new bloke and we absolutely loved it - I laughed so much, but there were some brilliantly done poignant moments too.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

The structure of Little Women unsettled me at the beginning, but once it got going I thought it was a great way to reinvent a story that is so well known.

LOVED Florence Pugh as Amy, I thought she was the standout performance. I also thought they sexed up Professor Bhaer a bit too much.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I’m seeing Little Women this evening, I’m looking forward to it even though I can’t remember much of the book.

Mr S and I watched The Irishman over two sessions, and quite unexpectedly I loved it.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

I thought Little Women was clever but I was very confused at the beginning and only the different hairstyles made it possible to follow really. I didn’t like Laurie AT ALL, he was a petulant man child but it made me think about the book in a different light as I’ve never understood why Jo turned him down and why he suddenly switched to Amy but it makes much more sense portraying him like that.
Ismee

Post by Ismee »

I saw Little Women today and absolutely loved it. I cried loads.

I love the book and have seen the other film loads of times so wasn't at all confused by the story. H and Z watched it too (and my 14 year old niece) and really liked it although found it very sad and kept looking at my Sister and me as we bawled.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I’m back from seeing Little Women. I cried my eyes out through pretty much the entire second half, so that was cathartic.

I feel like there should have been some sort of prior warning that Saul Goodman was going to pop up as the dad, right when I was in the middle of a huge flood of tears, I almost laughed.
H1ppychick wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:16 pmLOVED Florence Pugh as Amy, I thought she was the standout performance. I also thought they sexed up Professor Bhaer a bit too much.
Same here to both of these. I could watch Amy all day, she was brilliant.

I thought Emma Watson jarred as Meg which was a bit of a disappointment. I can’t remember how Aunt March’s death was portrayed in the book, but it felt like she had been a victim of editing. One minute she was fine, then terribly ill and poof, dead. I felt like we should have had a scene with her weakening a bit in the middle or something.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Turtle Bean wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:02 am The Beth part is so confusingly presented you won't be sure if she's recovered or died so don't worry.
I was very confused in Good Wives when I read the family "thanked God that Beth was well at last."

I think Aunt March just died without much fanfare, in the book.

I am keen to see Little Women despite having seen all the films ever made about it! There's a lot I want to see at the moment. I watched American Honey last night which was astonishingly good. I couldn't stop thinking about it.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Lily wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:03 am
Turtle Bean wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:02 am The Beth part is so confusingly presented you won't be sure if she's recovered or died so don't worry.
I was very confused in Good Wives when I read the family "thanked God that Beth was well at last."
Eh?
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

When I first read Good Wives, I couldn't figure out if she'd died or not.

ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Ah. I think I read Little Women in a version where Good Wives was included, but it was always clear she'd died. Could they have been thanking God she was at rest at last or something?
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I was so confused about Beth too. Until that episode of Friends I was never totally sure what had happened.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

:lol: I was thinking about that, as clearly that's the edition with both stories in one book.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

ParisGal wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:31 am Could they have been thanking God she was at rest at last or something?
They totally were, and I know that now :)) but at the time I thought, "Eh?" And don't get me started on Laurie and Amy: "when he could not have one sister, he had the other, and was happy." :wry: I still love the books though.

I had a lovely copy of Little Women and an older version of Good Wives, both of which must have been passed down through generations of my family. I must look them out; I hope I still have them.

sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I went to see Little Women last night, I really liked it. My niece who is 16 was with me, and she is in love with Timothee Chalamet but I thought he/Laurie was rubbish. I'd never read the book so I had no particular expectations, and I found the structure a bit confusing but got used.

I really like Saoirse Ronan anyway but I loved Florence Pugh, I thought she was brilliant!
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse