Film 2020

Livilla

Re: Film 2020

Post by Livilla »

I took a bunch of 9 years old to see Jumanji: the Next Level on the weekend, and enjoyed it a lot. They are very good popcorn movies.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

My friend and I saw 1917 last week. It left me strangely unmoved. It was beautifully made and did not pull any punches, but the story was uninvolving and the dialogue unconvincing. I also didn't like the cameos of famous people playing small parts as this distracts from the story itself.

I feel a bit bad saying this, but I wasn't impressed.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Luce

Post by Luce »

Gosh, I absolutely loved 1917. I think it played to my short attention span so I really liked there just being one story to focus on with very few characters. I didn't feel distracted by the famous people.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I found the war scenes themselves heartbreakingly authentic, and it was very well done, but - I don't know.

Morganna

Post by Morganna »

I want to see it, but I really struggle with WW1. I know all wars are dreadful, but knowing that a whole generation was pretty much wiped out makes it just unbearable to watch or read about. I see J in every uniform. I'm the same with Vietnam.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I know what you mean. It's hard to watch; I haven't seen the Somme depicted as well as it has been here (and that's a warning!). It was an odd feeling looking at the tortured landscape, knowing I have walked over so much of it and how peaceful it is now.

H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

I saw The Personal History of David Copperfield on Friday, and loved it, it was terrific fun. Excellent casting, completely colour-blind which I found slightly jarring until I became accustomed, but that says more about me and my ingrained expectation than it does about anything else really. Definitely worth a watch.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I really want to see that!

My friend and I saw Little Women last night. I absolutely loved it; I adore the books (my friend has never read them) and this film I felt captured the stories and characters just in the way they should have been. Saiorse Ronan was the most perfect Jo and Amy was the most rounded I have ever seen her portrayed. I liked the fact that the actresses all played their younger selves; no, Florence Pugh didn't look 13, but she acted it, especially in the piano scene, brilliantly - and echoed that irrepressible glee in the carriage scene with Meg and Jo towards the end. Beth's death (spoiler alert!) affected me far more than it has in previous adaptations, because Beth was more than the pious saint she's been painted as previously. She made me laugh. Laurie and John Brooke came into their own rights as characters too, and the non-linear structure worked really well. Wonderful, wonderful stuff.

Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

I just got back from seeing 1917. Overall, I’m aligned with what Lucy wrote but I think if I started typing up what I thought I’d end up in tears. Not a film you’d want/ need to see more than once but my goodness it was good.
Wiggle

Post by Wiggle »

We watched Parasite at the weekend and I thought it was a a great film and well worth a watch. It totally deserved the Oscar awards.
Elya

Post by Elya »

Lily wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:39 pm My friend and I saw 1917 last week. It left me strangely unmoved. It was beautifully made and did not pull any punches, but the story was uninvolving and the dialogue unconvincing. I also didn't like the cameos of famous people playing small parts as this distracts from the story itself.

I feel a bit bad saying this, but I wasn't impressed.
I completely agree, lily. It’s amazing cinematography, but I just didn’t feel engaged by it - and yes, various famous people popping up for two minutes was distracting.
Pawpads

Post by Pawpads »

I saw Dolittle today. It was funny in places but not a good film and I saw Birds of Prey last week, which was ok.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Mark Kermode gave the most amusingly scathing review of Dolittle it almost made me want to see it.
Pawpads

Post by Pawpads »

RDJ's accent is just bizarre.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

I finally watched JoJo Rabbit and loved it. Maleficent 2 was also enjoyable, I thought it was a good sequel.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I adored Jo Jo Rabbit. :love2: I thought Scarlett Johansson was brilliant in it , as well.
indigo

Post by indigo »

Wiggle wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:25 am We watched Parasite at the weekend and I thought it was a a great film and well worth a watch. It totally deserved the Oscar awards.
I really want to see this.

We saw The Lighthouse the other day and it was horrible. I mean, it was good, as a film, but I didn't like it at all.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I watched Lady Bird on Netflix, thought it was lovely. I love stuff like that, where nothing *really* happens.
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

Penne and I watched that the other day, smal, I really enjoyed it too.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

smalex wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:58 am I watched Lady Bird on Netflix, thought it was lovely. I love stuff like that, where nothing *really* happens.
I loved it too.