Theatre and other live performances

Flora Poste

Re: Theatre and other live performances

Post by Flora Poste »

wendy james wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:24 pm The MSE newsletter reminded me of Kids Week and as it’s my MIL’s bday when we visit in August, we’ve booked tickets for the 5 of us for Grease. The girls will probably be more thrilled than her. :lol:
I've booked Sponge Bob The Musical for Kids Week :ruby: as that was what the younger two wanted to see and it's C's birthday. I've also booked The Crucible for A and myself.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

I saw Romeo and Juliet at the Almeida last week. It has Sam from Ted Lasso as Romeo. It was really good, especially for a play that everyone knows. The staging was really interesting and it still managed to be funny, shocking, and moving every though we all know what happens.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I love how Shakespeare can still be shocking. I think Baz Lurhman's (sp?) ending of R&J is inspired.

My friend and I finally saw The Mousetrap last week. It was brilliant - very fast and funny.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

I saw the Mousetrap about 10 years ago in Bath but I don't think I'd be that bothered to see it again. It's coming to Bristol fairly soon and a friend was getting up a group to go, but I declined.
Little My

Post by Little My »

Flora Poste wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:23 am I've booked Sponge Bob The Musical for Kids Week :ruby: as that was what the younger two wanted to see and it's C's birthday. I've also booked The Crucible for A and myself.
I took B to see a production of Sponge Bob The Musical for Kids and it was absolutely BRILLIANT. I honestly loved it. The teen actors were fantastic though, so it was mainly down to that. The villains were epic. :lol: So you never know!
Pawpads

Post by Pawpads »

Last month I saw Duran Duran twice and The Way Old Friends Do, which I loved.

Last week I saw Heathers The Musical and am seeing The Lion King in Bristol in a couple of weeks.
I can't decided if I want to see Hamilton or not. I think I'll be going on my own, which I don't mind at all but I just don't know if I'm being swayed by the fact that everyone seems to adore it. I watched it during lockdown via Disney and loved the first half but not the second.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

When are you seeing the Lion King? I'm going with my choir on July 1st
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

Little My wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:30 pm
Flora Poste wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:23 am I've booked Sponge Bob The Musical for Kids Week :ruby: as that was what the younger two wanted to see and it's C's birthday. I've also booked The Crucible for A and myself.
I took B to see a production of Sponge Bob The Musical for Kids and it was absolutely BRILLIANT. I honestly loved it. The teen actors were fantastic though, so it was mainly down to that. The villains were epic. :lol: So you never know!
That sounds slightly more promising! Apparently Gareth Gates is Squidward as well :lol:
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

At The Orange Tree in Richmond I saw Somerset Maughan's The Circle with Janes Asher. It was really good, all the performers not just Jane Asher. Set in 1920s.

Lady Kitty, a society beauty who notoriously abandoned her stuffy husband Clive, and eloped with the handsome Lord Porteous .
Thirty years later, love’s young dream has descended into non-stop squabbling... Meanwhile, Clive and Lady Kitty’s son Arnold faces the same marital fate, as his wife Elizabeth threatens to elope with the dashing Teddie Luton. Will history come full circle? Or can one generation learn from their parents’ disastrous mistakes?
Pawpads

Post by Pawpads »

Lily wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:56 am When are you seeing the Lion King? I'm going with my choir on July 1st
June 30th.
I'm so looking forward to it. It's a belated birthday trip with my sister in law and friends.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

I'm off to see Dear England next week and am pleased by the positive reviews. :)
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

wendy james wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:45 am
wendy james wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:35 pm I want to book Frank and Percy (Ian McKellen and Roger Allam) at the local theatre but tickets don't go on sale for non-members until 9 days later than members, so I'm hoping there's still a couple of tickets for us!
There were still tickets for the performance we wanted. :perky:
I'm really glad we went to see this. It was funny and sweet and they were obviously having a great time, though it wasn't perfect with a couple of odd conversations that felt a bit shoe-horned in. As one reviewer mentioned, it's not often you get to see Inspector Thursday in glittery shorts. :mrgreen:
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I've just booked tickets for me and P to see Ulster American. https://www.ulsteramericanplay.com/
I thought he might be interested due to Woody Harrelson, and we're off for 2 weeks over Christmas so a trip to London isn't an issue.
Pawpads

Post by Pawpads »

I saw The Greatest Days, Busted, The Full Monty, And Then There Were None and am seeing Swan Lake on Friday.

I'm very lucky that one of our theatres get some really good shows - Lily, do you still work there? I'm always looking out for you.
I was supposed to be seeing 12 Angry Men but we've booked a last minute holiday so I'm giving my tickets to a friend.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Did you enjoy any of them Pawpads?
Pawpads

Post by Pawpads »

I enjoyed them all. I had seen The Full Monty film and had read And Then There Were None and I always go to see Busted.

I was surprised by Greatest Days. Pleasantly. I had figured that it was something to do with Take That and was hoping that it wasn't the story of them - which it wasn't. I'm really looking forward to Swan Lake which I last saw about 30 years ago.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

wendy james wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:52 pm Blue Beard (from Emma Rice's - formerly of Kneehigh Theatre - company) - for me and the girls (reduced tickets for under 25s, hurrah!)
This was last night and it was brilliant. Quite sweary and strong themes but the company (who acted, sang, danced, performed magic tricks and played musical instruments) were amazing. I’d definitely recommend if it comes near you, as would the girls.

They now want to see Tom Holland in Romeo & Juliet so I’ve to try for that next week. Though I’ve made no promises!