Theatre and other live performances

Flora Poste

Re: Theatre and other live performances

Post by Flora Poste »

That's interesting Cerise as both the things I've been to see recently have been packed - I assume sold out. I took the older two to see Six a couple of weeks about - A (12) and I (44) both loved it. C (10) was less impressed, but thought it was ok.

And then E and I went to see Frozen the Musical last weekend which was really good - and the refurbished Theatre Royal, Drury Lane is lovely now - they've done a really good job (plenty of loos).
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Maybe the London theatres with the big shows are doing ok. I live near one that features on most significant national tours and used to be packed every night. I have tickets for The Lion King in July. Can’t wait!
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

I went to see Dita von Teese in Bristol last week and it was utterly rammed. I didn't especially want to be there in the first place but it was only because I had COVID last month that I felt even moderately comfortable. Still got pinged afterwards but the app just basically says "Meh" now so what's the point of that?
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

A friend of mine and her daughter have travelled up to London twice in the past six months to see Hamilton only to be turned away at the door with the performance cancelled last minute due to COVID in cast / production team.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

H1ppychick wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:16 pm A friend of mine and her daughter have travelled up to London twice in the past six months to see Hamilton only to be turned away at the door with the performance cancelled last minute due to COVID in cast / production team.
Oh I'm meant to be seeing that on Sunday :(
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Fingers crossed for you sal!

My LM has offered to buy us London theatre tickets as I can’t make the official end of project celebration. She suggested Matilda, but the girls don’t really fancy it. We’re thinking the ALW Cinderella instead but open to suggestions!

We’ve seen or have tickets for Wicked, Six, The Mousetrap and Mama Mia.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Back to the Future? Joseph? Mary Poppins?
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I’ve seen them all listed but have you seen any to recommend? They haven’t seen a professional Joseph but we’ve seen an amateur production and the Donny Osmond recorded version and they have Joseph fatigue. :lol:

There’s also The Lion King, which I’m not that fussed for but am wondering if we should go while somebody else is paying. :mrgreen:
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

No, not personal recommendations, sorry! The couple of people I know that have seen BTFT said it was good. That’s all I’ve got!

I saw The Lion King many years ago which was brilliant then and we’re seeing it again in July.

I’ve started looked at Theatre Express website for tickets and have also managed to wangle my way into an FB group where I can also get tickets.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

I saw BTTF a few months ago and thought it was pretty good. The car stunt at the end was fun. I saw A Small Island at National Theatre on Thursday, it was excellent.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

Mary Poppins is good - all 3 of mine have seen it now and they all enjoyed it (as did I).
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

I loved the Lion King, wonderful puppetry.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Hamilton was amazing, I loved it and have been listening to the soundtrack since I saw it.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Sky

Post by Sky »

I saw Mary Poppins around 2008-ish but remember it being really good.

Marys Seacole at the Donmar is worth a look.
nineseven wrote:What's the point in being slim if you have to stay indoors all the time, leaking from your anus?
http://www.justgiving.com/Pamela-Ward" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I’m glad you got to see it sally!

The girls couldn’t decide so we went with Cinderella as that had been the original plan. My manager bought us tickets on Row D and I’ve told them never to expect tickets that close again. :lol:
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

I quite fancy Cinderella and will try and get tickets in the August theatre sale I think.

I'm very excited as I managed to get a last minute ticket to see Mark Rylance and Mackenzie Crook in Jerusalem this evening - this is proper bucket list theatre for me!
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

I have done a couple of small theatres - Jermyn Street - The Marriage of Alice B Toklas, really good. The imaginary wedding of Alice and Gertrude Stein, with guests such as Picasso and Hemmingway. Same 4 actors playing all the parts of the main characters and the other family members and friends.

Seven Dials Playhouse - The Diary of a Somebody - about the playwright Joe Orton and his lover Kenneth Halliwell and the tragic ending. Again a very small theatre but great performances.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

Flora Poste wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:45 am I quite fancy Cinderella and will try and get tickets in the August theatre sale I think.
Oh, Cinderella is closing on June 12 apparently, so that is that plan scrapped.

Mark Rylance was astonishing in Jersualem - I'm so glad I got a ticket.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Bugger, we’re booked for 18 June!
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

That's a pisser Wendy, although I'm sure you're not too disappointed. :look: