Theatre and other live performances

Luna

Re: Theatre and other live performances

Post by Luna »

I’m seeing Six tomorrow :weewee: it was cancelled due to covid so I’ve waited two years and this time round we’ve got better seats.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Hurrah! I hope you enjoy it. I’m going for a second time this September.
Skips

Post by Skips »

I'm meant to be seeing that in September too.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

Les Mis - see the “I give no fucks” thread for my opinion :))
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

I’m seeing Six in February.

We saw The Lion King last night and it was just amazing. I’ve seen it before (16 years ago) but this time was in the stalls so more immersed.
Luna

Post by Luna »

Just seen Six. I loved it but fuck me it was LOUD. I think my hearing is much more sensitive these days. It was quite painful in places.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

wendy james wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:05 pm P spotted a poster advertising Mad House with Bill Pullman (and David Harbour) and expressed an interest so I’ve lined up my ILs to babysit next time we’re in London and bought the last 2 (slightly restricted view) tickets in an affordable tier. :weewee:
I enjoyed this. Dark comedy with a slightly jarring though well acted (Akiya Henry was very good throughout) bit in the middle. P - who hasn’t been to the theatre for a non-musical in 26 years - made a good shout!

We didn’t know David Harbour from anything but Black Widow* and P especially was impressed. I think there might have been some Stranger Things super fans in, though it was a fairly rowdy performance so maybe it was just vibe. :mrgreen:

*I did watch ST S1 but only vaguely remember it
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

Last week I saw. Jack Absolute Flies Again at The National. Good performances all round - it is a farce. Caroline Quentin is Mrs Malaprop so lots of that - steer clear if you don't like it.
Pawpads

Post by Pawpads »

I saw Six in April or May and saw Great British Bake Off: The Musical on Friday. I didn't realise that Prue was sat in the row in front of me until the end when loads of people were walking past and taking "stealth" photos.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

I want to see Mad House but when I looked at tickets they were incredible prices.

I went to Lyric Hammersmith this evening to see Closer - it was very intense but I really liked it.
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

This doesn't really count, but I felt the need to share with someone, anyone, that we've just got in from the most fabulous evening out. Some English friends organised a joint bbq with their French neighbours. The neighbours' daughter is an operatic soprano and her husband is a concert pianist. Our English friends also had their son staying. He is a classically-trained (mostly) jazz musician and he brought a violin. Dinner in the garden ended around 11.30pm and we all went inside for an impromptu recital of Gershwin, Debussy, Tosca, and Madam Butterfly. It was heaven. :love:
"Inagh to China Motorcycle Ride" blog, if you're interested: www.inaghtochina.com :))
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

That sounds really fab OTH.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

It does indeed!

I’m not sure I’d fancy CQ. Is that the one with her daughter?

We were in restricted view seats for Mad House otherwise I don’t think we could have gone either Annabella!
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I’m going to try and get tickets for Best of Enemies tomorrow. Don’t suppose anybody else fancies it the weekend of 17 December? :))

https://www.timeout.com/london/theatre/ ... ies-review
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I got a ticket for 24 November, which is a day I’ll be in London anyway. :perky:
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

I am going to the Peacock Theatre on Friday to see Les Ballets Trockerdero de Monte Carlo - or The Trocks as they are commonly know: https://trockadero.org
Last edited by Annabella on Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

That sounds fabulous, OTH.

I am going to see Spike tomorrow. https://oneminutetheatrereviews.co.uk/r ... watermill/
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

Annabella wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:58 pm I am going to the Peacock Theatre on Friday to see Les Ballets Trockerdero de Monte Carlo - or The Trocks as they are commonly know: https://trockadero.org
Just home from this. Dancers were really accomplished and the drag and slapstick elements added fun to the set pieces, well worth a watch.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

SIX was just as brilliant in London as the tour. I still get choked up at one performance, and probably not the most obvious one!

And There Was None was okay. Varying acting ability levels as you’d expect from an amateur group. They used the more recently written (book faithful) ending rather than Christie’s original, which I prefer. Large chunks of the audience seemed to think it was a comedy though, laughing at every death. :look:

Martin Brown, the illustrator, was great. The girls haven’t stopped drawing since. :love:

Seth Lakeman was much better for being in a standing venue than when I last saw him. His band is so good too.

Next up is Glen Moore this coming weekend.
Luna

Post by Luna »

Is it the Katherine Howard one? She had a horrible time poor lass and that is a song that really changes tone.