Theatre and other live performances

H1ppychick

Re: Theatre and other live performances

Post by H1ppychick »

The Katherine Howard one is the one that got me too.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

A revival of Noises Off at Richmond theatre 3 weeks ago. Just as funny as I remember. I see it has now transferred to the West End. Last night I went to The Bridge Theatre to see John Gabriel Borkman - not for the Ibsen but for Simon Russel Beale - he did not disappoint.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Yes, maybe it is an obvious one then!

Glenn Moore was very good and I’m glad we booked to see him. I’d like to see more comedy with P, I think. I used to go regularly to a comedy night in Leeds but I haven’t found anything like that here (and there’s logistics of children for a bit longer!).

Best of Enemies was much more engaging than I’d anticipated. A teensy preachy in places but still enjoyable. Both actors were very good, David Harewood especially.

The Mousetrap was what I’d expect from a 70 year old Agatha Christie play. :mrgreen: We hadn’t looked at the cast - it’s been on our list since the first page of this thread! - and it included two ex-Eastenders and Cassandra from Only Fools & Horses.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

Last weekend I saw The Band's Visit at the Donmar Warehouse. Completely unexpectedly wonderful - the acting, the singing, the musicians:

"Once, not long ago, a group of musicians came to Israel from Egypt. You probably didn’t hear about it. It wasn’t very important."

In a quiet desert town way off the beaten path, a band of musicians arrive lost. As they wait for the next bus out, these unexpected visitors bring the town to life in surprising ways, proving that even the briefest visit can stay with you forever.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

This evening my sister and I went to see My Neighbour Totoro at the Barbican, and just WOW. It was the most delightful, charming, funny, touching, heartfelt show I have seen in an age. Possibly ever. The puppetry and puppeteers that brought the set and the characters to life was utterly brilliant and stayed absolutely true to the look, scale and humour of the film.

If it wasn’t sold out I’d be booking to see it again immediately. I can only assume it will hit the road and start touring the world because it really deserves to be seen by as many people who love Ghibli and Hayao Miyazaki as possible.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

Also sleb spot: Matt Lucas was in the audience a few rows in front of us and was first on his feet at the curtain call.
Pawpads

Post by Pawpads »

I saw The Mirror Crack'd which was on tour a month or so ago. It had Susie Blake and Joe McFadden in it and I saw Through The Barricade last week, which was a surprise from Mr Pads.
I have loads lined up for next year including a long weekend in London for my birthday in February.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Hackney Panto, Mother Goose on Saturday. It's one of my most favourite places.
Malan
Skips

Post by Skips »

Epponnee Rae wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:21 am This evening my sister and I went to see My Neighbour Totoro at the Barbican, and just WOW. It was the most delightful, charming, funny, touching, heartfelt show I have seen in an age. Possibly ever. The puppetry and puppeteers that brought the set and the characters to life was utterly brilliant and stayed absolutely true to the look, scale and humour of the film.

If it wasn’t sold out I’d be booking to see it again immediately. I can only assume it will hit the road and start touring the world because it really deserves to be seen by as many people who love Ghibli and Hayao Miyazaki as possible.
I really wanted to go and see this and I would love it to go on tour. Unfortunately we wouldnt justify the cost of tickets and a trip to London.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

Marth wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:24 am Hackney Panto, Mother Goose on Saturday. It's one of my most favourite places.
I am hopefully doing this one on Friday Marth - I love a Panto
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

I have now seen 3 pantos. Early December Cinderella by local company at Mum's nearby theatre in Essex. 16 December Mother Goose at Hackney Empire and this evening Jack and the Beanstalk at Lyric Hammersmith. All really enjoyable for different reasons but mostly because all the kids just went mental at every one - booing, hissing, cheering, singing and screaming - excellent audience participation.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

I always think about panto, think I won’t bother and then regret it. We saw an adaptation of A Christmas Carol on Christmas Eve that was good. Just two actors telling the story.

What’s everyone got booked for this year?

I going to:
Cirque de Soleil
Six
I’m Sorry I Haven’t A Clue
Cirque (a musical show)
Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde (possibly)
Arrietty

Post by Arrietty »

We are going to Hamilton at the end of the month. Fingers crossed as we have a terrible track record of illness when it comes to live performances :(
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Just The Shawshank Redemption at the moment.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

This week - a discounted ticket for The S*x Party at Menier Chocolate Factory,
Next week - Matthew Bourne's Sleeping Beauty at Sadlers Well
End of month - Sadlers Wells again for How Did We Get Here - choreographer Jules Cunningham, award-winning dancer Harry Alexander and Melanie C.
February - Pride and Prejudice, Sort Of - Richmond theatre I saw this last year in West End but it is touring now so taking my mum
March - Funny Girl (with Leah Michele) in New York - can't wait.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

I am going to see the Ocean At The End of the Lane tonight. :weewee:

I've been to a panto. I'm not sure about anything else.

Oh yeah. I'm going to see a punk band with a load of TERFs at the end of the month. :mog:
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

I wanted to see that Ruby.

I went to see the Nutcracker yesterday and am going to a New Year concert at the Bridgewater on Saturday.
FiveO'Clock

Post by FiveO'Clock »

Cerise wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:28 am I going to:
Cirque de Soleil
Six
Cirque (a musical show)
When are you going to Cirque de Soleil, Cerise? We went a few weeks ago and enjoyed ourselves.

We have tickets to The Book of Mormon in a couple of weeks and I cannot wait!
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

FiveO'Clock wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:59 pm
Cerise wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:28 am I going to:
Cirque de Soleil
Six
Cirque (a musical show)
When are you going to Cirque de Soleil, Cerise? We went a few weeks ago and enjoyed ourselves.

We have tickets to The Book of Mormon in a couple of weeks and I cannot wait!
Weekend after next! It was my present for Christmas but I helped buy them through a discounted website. :))
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

E and I went to see the Nutcracker at the ENB yesterday and there was a stage invasion and they had to stop the performance for about 5 minutes! It was about 15 minutes in during the party scene and some random woman (who looked pretty pissed to be fair) just appeared and started doing full on Bez dancing in the middle of the stage - there was then a brief scuffle with security/ stage managers and the curtain went down while they sorted everything out.

This was Edie's first ballet and I don't think anything else will live up to the excitement :))