Recommendations for other channels - ye olde TV

Lily
Picker-Lily

Recommendations for other channels - ye olde TV

Post by Lily »

Friday Night Dinner on Channel 4. One of the rare programmes which makes me laugh out loud, a lot, and one which I would happily watch again. Highly recommended. Who knew getting more comedy into your life could be so beneficial!
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
smalex

Re: Recommendations for other channels - ye olde TV

Post by smalex »

I don't think I've ever seen it discussed here, but we just finished Season 3 of Snowfall. It's really good. The first season is a bit of a slow burn but it comes together a bit more after that.
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

We’ve been watching Jonathan Creek, not sure if it’s on I player or sky catch up to be honest, but we are enjoying it, having never seen it before.

It’s funny, cheesy, and sometimes fully bonkers, but it’s been great cosy lock down fare.
indigo

Post by indigo »

Richard Osman's House of Games has been making me laugh my head off on a daily basis. Also good value is The World's Most Dangerous Roads on Dave. Oh! And Race Across the Earth (BBC) is just gorgeous.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

I love Friday Night Dinner.

I think I've said before, but I've got hooked on the police ones - Force NE, and the Manchester one. It is just very cheap fly on the wall mindless telly, but you get to know the officers, and some of the public are mind-boggling :)). It's obviously all low-level stuff - a lot of drunks falling over and getting lost outside of their University halls, and people growing cannabis in the loft - but I'm quite enjoying it. I don't think I'd bother if not for lockdown, but given that there's not much else to do, I put it on series record and watch when I'm at a loose end.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I have finally caught up with Normal People. I know it was mentioned on the Netflix thread but seeing as it's on the Beeb I thought I'd put it on here. I did like it but I found it very, very painful to watch. I didn't get what Connell and Marianne had in common apart from that they had great sex. There must have been more to it than that. Or why he said they should see other people or she said it. Or why she asked him to Italy which seemed cruel to all involved. By the end of the last sex scene when she had rushed off in floods of tears again I felt rather :ella: - of course he's going to react that way if you ask him to do that! I've mentioned on here before about my friend being disappointed in her boyfriend's refusal to put a dog collar on her so maybe my tolerance of these things is lower than average.

I did love Connell though and his kindness and depth. You don't often see teenage boys displayed as such decent types. I certainly never knew any. I'm so glad Marianne had him - and that he had her.

I'm also glad I don't have to read the book after all as I started it but didn't like it at all.

Morganna

Post by Morganna »

I haven't seen Normal People, but I will binge it at some point.

I followed Digs' recommendation to watch Two Doors Down, and am enjoying that. I've taken to watching an episode in bed at night, and it's great late night viewing. The Christine character is hilariously awful.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Morganna wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:32 pm I haven't seen Normal People, but I will binge it at some point.

I followed Digs' recommendation to watch Two Doors Down, and am enjoying that. I've taken to watching an episode in bed at night, and it's great late night viewing. The Christine character is hilariously awful.
I utterly love Christine :lol:

We watched an ITV drama over the last few nights, which we recorded last week but I think it would be on their player thingy. Anyway it was called Little Boy Blue anout the murder of a young boy in Liverpool, caught up in a gang war. It was really good,and had Stephen Graham in it,who I love.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

I’m obsessed with Your Home Made Perfect. It’s being repeated on BBC2 at the moment!
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

I’m watching the repeat right now and am enjoying it again :l:
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

We’ve been watching Catastrophe, currently on sky box sets.

I’d seen the first series ages ago but sort of forgot to watch the rest, but I’d forgotten how funny and very, very real it can be! :lol:
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

sally maclennane wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:08 pm
Morganna wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:32 pm I haven't seen Normal People, but I will binge it at some point.

I utterly love Christine :lol:

We watched an ITV drama over the last few nights, which we recorded last week but I think it would be on their player thingy. Anyway it was called Little Boy Blue anout the murder of a young boy in Liverpool, caught up in a gang war. It was really good,and had Stephen Graham in it,who I love.
I saw that when it was on - heartbreaking.

sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

It was so sad, I cried loads at it. His poor parents.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Dandelion

Post by Dandelion »

Hobbes wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:54 pm We’ve been watching Catastrophe, currently on sky box sets.

I’d seen the first series ages ago but sort of forgot to watch the rest, but I’d forgotten how funny and very, very real it can be! :lol:
If you like Catastrophe, you will love Breeders! The first series just finished on Sky but should be available to download.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

I'm watching Driven - the Billy Monger story. He's one incredible young man.
Malan
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

indigo wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 2:47 pm Richard Osman's House of Games has been making me laugh my head off on a daily basis.
The boys and I love this too. I like the broken karaoke, the code one and Answer Smash.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

I finished all series of FND last night. I’m sad that world is over- love Tamsin Greig, she was just fantastic. Actually they all were.
rosy

Post by rosy »

Marth wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:27 pm I'm watching Driven - the Billy Monger story. He's one incredible young man.
I was watching the race (on tv) in which he was injured and have been following his recovery and return to racing ever since. He’s amazing.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

The Other One is much, much funnier than I expected. And touching, too.

Annabella

Post by Annabella »

I agree Lily I have binged it really enjoyed it