Recommendations for other channels - ye olde TV

emma_p

Re: Recommendations for other channels - ye olde TV

Post by emma_p »

Squirrel wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:43 pm
emma_p wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:20 pm I’m watching the Demon Headmaster reboot with the kids and we all love it! It’s on CBBC. I might see if I can find the original to watch.
I know it was ages ago but I wanted to say thank you for this, I’d never seen or heard of the original and wouldn’t have picked up on it, but it was a good watch and we all enjoyed it. If you’ve got any more recommendations please throw them out here.
I'm so glad you liked it! Mine are very into the Dumping Ground now, which is about a children's home. I actually like it too, loads of actors turn up in it - Cindy Beale from Eastenders was in a few episodes recently.

ALSO PSA - Malory Towers series 3 is available!! :weewee:
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

emma_p wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:29 pm
Oh yay! Thanks emma!
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

Chicky wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:01 pm
Oh yay! Thanks emma!
I will second that, thank you! Perfect cosy viewing.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

I am SO far behind the rest of the world, but OMG, Line of Duty S6! Mother of God! I’ve only got one episode left. I honestly wish I’d done a rewatch of the previous seasons though.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Chicky wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:01 pm
Oh yay! Thanks emma!
:disco: Although as I watched the other two while ill, I now resignedly await my fate.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

I've just discovered Better Things, five series of which are available on iPlayer. It's a comedy-drama about a divorced actress raising three daughters, and is so good. And each episode is only around 20 minutes long so it's easy to drop in and out of.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

I loved Better Things ❤️
Malan
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

I've watched so many episodes this weekend! :hbeat:
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

We watched The Newsreader this week, an Australian drama about a newsroom set in the 80s. The nostalgia stuff was great and they featured real stories like Aids and the Lindy Chamberlain case. I didn't really the way they made the female character a "loose cannon", it was very predictable.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Luna

Post by Luna »

I’ve just finished the final season of Better Things which is on iPlayer. I bloody love this show and am gutted it’s finished :cry:
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Is anyone else watching Red Rose? BBC Three, 8 part horror, a bit like The Ring but set in Bolton. We've only watched the first episode but I very much enjoyed it, the combination of horror (no gore so far at least, just suspense, no idea if it ever gets graphic) and ordinary British teenagers (no pool parties here thank you) is a refreshing delight.
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Mountain Goat wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:01 pm Is anyone else watching Red Rose? BBC Three, 8 part horror, a bit like The Ring but set in Bolton. We've only watched the first episode but I very much enjoyed it, the combination of horror (no gore so far at least, just suspense, no idea if it ever gets graphic) and ordinary British teenagers (no pool parties here thank you) is a refreshing delight.
Like you, we've only watched the first episode so far and I really enjoyed it. Definitely Black Mirror-ish.

It IS quite properly British I agree except I did find myself wondering, distance wise (I should know this but I'm more familiar with Bury than Bolton) whether Bolton schoolkids would really go all the way to what looked like the top of the moor to have an end of exam rave to oddly 90s music. :mrgreen:
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I have no idea but I read an article with the brothers who wrote it and they're from Bolton and were very keen to make it as truly Bolton-y as possible, so I'm guessing it probably is something that might happen.

We went to out to the Wolds with insufficient torches and an oversupply vodka and listened to Johnny Cash after our mock A levels so I can believe it. :))
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Mountain Goat wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:06 pm I have no idea but I read an article with the brothers who wrote it and they're from Bolton and were very keen to make it as truly Bolton-y as possible, so I'm guessing it probably is something that might happen.
Depending on how old they are that could explain the music selection. Although I take the point about Johnny Cash.... :))

We used to get pissed on Wimbledon Common but it's not exactly a moor. :lol: :citygirl:
Disco

Post by Disco »

The brother were involved with The Haunting of Bly House on Netflix. I think we might have read the same article Goat. I haven't watched it yet but it is series linked/ taped.
Disco

Post by Disco »

That's not what it was called is it?! Blythe Manor?
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Bly Manor. :yes:
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I really enjoyed Everything I Know About Love on iPlayer. I loved the book & thought it was fictionalised pretty well.
Disco

Post by Disco »

Rebel Pebble wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:53 pm Bly Manor. :yes:
Ah yes, thank you!
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Rebel Pebble wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:24 pm It IS quite properly British I agree except I did find myself wondering, distance wise (I should know this but I'm more familiar with Bury than Bolton) whether Bolton schoolkids would really go all the way to what looked like the top of the moor to have an end of exam rave to oddly 90s music. :mrgreen:
I'm watching the first episode now and round here they definitely go up to the woods or the hills after exams finish. Unfortunately, they tend to burn some of them down too.