Recommendations for other channels - ye olde TV

Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Re: Recommendations for other channels - ye olde TV

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I watched all of S2 of Back to Life on Wednesday. It was brilliant.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Anyone seen Help on Channel 4?

It was really harrowing at first and brought up a lot of pain re: my Aunt. I found the last third really strange though and not needed, it was dramatic enough as it was and although I could see why it would happen I didn’t think they needed the extra drama.

Desperately trying not to spoiler 😂
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

I’ve been off work sick today and binge watched 5 episodes of Vigil. I’m annoyed I have to wait for the last episode now!
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

I binge watched all of Back to Life and absolutely loved it, so thank you for the recommendation.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Yes, I agree with that Kleio. We didn't need added drama, the standard reality was drama enough. I found it really weird to see the pandemic on television: I'm sure there have been other programmes but I haven't seen them and seeing it dramatised like a historic event really brought the whole horror of it into focus in a way that living through it hasn't, if that makes sense. It also made me irritated that so much tv has ignored it - I understand why, in a lot of cases, but ostriching does my head in at the best of times and I started to feel a bit gaslit by the telly. :)) Anyway, I thought it was excellent.

On a lighter note, I totally binged both series of Never Have I Ever last week (I had seen the first one, but couldn't remember it very well) and adored it all and have never had my teenage self identify with anyone as much as this angry Indian American. :lol:
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
Lola

Post by Lola »

See, I’ve been a bit annoyed about COVID ruining my favourite tv series’ :)) I know they have to acknowledge it really but it was just another reason to be pissed off with the pandemic for me.
Last edited by Lola on Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I am obviously watching the wrong programmes, I can't remember seeing it even acknowledged on anything else!
smalex

Post by smalex »

I can't face Help. I just can't. What other programmes ahve featured it? I can't remember many either? Eastenders (yes yes, I know) did quite a good job of it originally but quickly just pretended it wasn't happening even while we were all in the 2nd and 3rd lockdowns.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

To be fair I've probably mostly watched old series on Netflix. Spiral took MONTHS. :))
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I have recorded Help but can't face it right now. I love both Stephen Graham and Jodie Coner though.

We watched the Suge Knight documentary that was on BBC2 at the weekend. It was really interesting.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

smalex wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:12 pm I can't face Help. I just can't. What other programmes ahve featured it? I can't remember many either? Eastenders (yes yes, I know) did quite a good job of it originally but quickly just pretended it wasn't happening even while we were all in the 2nd and 3rd lockdowns.
I can’t stand Casualty (I call it casualshitty) but when they came back after the pandemic they did a really good episode that covered it. I cried throughout and I’d say it was definitely worth watching.

Google tells me it’s series 35, episode 1 on iplayer. I wouldn’t say you needed to know the characters to watch it.
Lola

Post by Lola »

Well it was done badly on Corrie I think. All the characters staying approx 10m away from each other at all times even if they supposedly live together :)) People wearing masks outside then taking masks off to speak inside etc. The pub and workplaces staying open as normal.

COVID was mentioned on a few programmes that I watched like Greys Anatomy (fair enough but most of the series was Meredith wafting around on a beach in her dreams and it just wasnt the same mix of good storylines), Station 19, This Is Us. To be fair they all did it quite well but I was just peeved that yet again COVID had to rear it’s ugly head ;)
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

It was very oddly handled on The Good Fight.
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

Oh, that reminds me, I got bored of The Good Wife and never finished it, but quite fancy The Good Fight (mainly because I love Christine Baranski). Could I leap straight into it?
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Yes, pretty much, I reckon.
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

Thank you!
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

The Good Fight is AMAZING for the most part, even though it goes...odd. I'm jealous you'll be watching it for the first time Rosa.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

It went too odd for me, I binned it when it did that. But I do like Christine. :hbeat:
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

I find it’s one of those programs that I save lots of episodes onto my box when a new season starts but don’t get around to them for a while as it never pings my radar when I’m scanning my saved list. When I eventually get round to watching it I’m hooked again and I completely binge it.
Lola

Post by Lola »

I binned it when it went odd too then tried it again recently & it was still too odd for me.