Film 2021

Skips

Film 2021

Post by Skips »

I know there haven't been many release but I know there have been a few straight to TV films that are worth a mention (or warning :)) ).

We've just watched A Promising Young Woman on Sky Movies, it's really good but very dark. I can see why it won a few Baftas.
Glint

Re: Film 2021

Post by Glint »

We’ve got that downloaded to watch.

As a complete contrast, we watched a release from last year this afternoon, and thoroughly enjoyed Scoob! :lol:
Tabitha

Post by Tabitha »

I watched Run last night, released on Netflix. It could have been a fun thriller but sadly it wasn't, although the reviews are weirdly good on IMDB.

Without wishing to spoil it for anyone, it started really weirdly for me with a daughter's sudden distrust of her mother which seemed to come right out of the blue. Also, the baddie kept a cliched box of explanatory newspaper clippings which we were shown in lieu of any backstory. Lame.
Panda

Post by Panda »

I’m looking forward to watching Promising Young Woman Skips - I’ve read some ‘interesting’ reviews.

We watched Thunder Force on Netflix recently, it was very daft but good fun and perfect for a lazy Sunday afternoon. It’s had some rubbish reviews on IMDB though so maybe my film threshold is lowered due to the lack of films available at the moment!
Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

Tabitha wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:19 am I watched Run last night, released on Netflix. It could have been a fun thriller but sadly it wasn't, although the reviews are weirdly good on IMDB.

Without wishing to spoil it for anyone, it started really weirdly for me with a daughter's sudden distrust of her mother which seemed to come right out of the blue. Also, the baddie kept a cliched box of explanatory newspaper clippings which we were shown in lieu of any backstory. Lame.
Oh I’m glad I turned this off then! I found the premise from the start too unbelievable, and not because it doesn’t happen. They seemed to be asking us to believe the daughter was both incredibly intelligent (and tech savvy) while like you say, only now suddenly suspicious of her mother for the very first time. The whole google phone call thing was really badly executed too. I think I switched off after the pharmacy.

If you haven’t seen it, The Act is on Amazon Prime (although I think an add on) and is an amazing retelling of the Dee Dee Blanchard story and how this can really happen. I think it ruined me for this.
Tabitha

Post by Tabitha »

Yes, I thought The Act was fab and it definitely made Run seem daft in comparison.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Panda wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:53 am I’m looking forward to watching Promising Young Woman Skips - I’ve read some ‘interesting’ reviews.

We watched Thunder Force on Netflix recently, it was very daft but good fun and perfect for a lazy Sunday afternoon. It’s had some rubbish reviews on IMDB though so maybe my film threshold is lowered due to the lack of films available at the moment!
We watched Thunderforce the other night and it barely raised a smirk.
F'Artiste

Post by F'Artiste »

I watched Palm Springs (Amazon Prime) the other day, which was quite fun and weird.
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

We didn't finish Thunderforce. It was dreadful.

I think it may have been obtained improperly but if you get a chance to watch Nobody please do. It's sort of John Wick ish and there is one particular scene which I won't spoil but honestly I will remember it on my death bed and still laugh.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

I want to watch all the Oscar Best Picture nominees this year, which would be the first time I manage that. :)) Gonna start with Minari.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

F'Artiste wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:01 am I watched Palm Springs (Amazon Prime) the other day, which was quite fun and weird.
Yes, I liked this (I finally got to watch it, after posting about it on the Netflix thread!) whilst doing the ironing with the door firmly closed! :lol:

I told P that Thunderforce looks dire when I was emailed about it, so I'm glad to hear it sounds like I was right. Not that he was keen or anything.
Panda

Post by Panda »

Cerise wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:56 am
Panda wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:53 am I’m looking forward to watching Promising Young Woman Skips - I’ve read some ‘interesting’ reviews.

We watched Thunderforce the other night and it barely raised a smirk.
No! Not even at the crab? :)
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Love and Monsters was the film this evening and it was quite enjoyable!
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

Promising Young Woman is an extraordinary film. I really hope it gets something at the Oscars (having done OK at the BAFTAs).
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I’ve just watched it. Wow. Amazing.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I want to see this also. EF is brilliant in anything I've seen her act in so I'm keen to see her direct. And CM is a brilliant actress.

#Irrelevant my best friends long term ex boyfriend (someone I also knew from school) is engaged to EFs sister (a fashion designer apparently)
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

It did get Best Original Screenplay. Nomadland (another winner) was also really good, but not as good, I don’t think.)
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

I'm so pleased it got Best Original Screenplay! I think Nomadland was always going to do well, but it was great to see Chloe Zhao get Best Director.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Mitchell’s v the Machines on Netflix. It was such good fun and I haven’t laughed out loud that much for ages.
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

Sound of Metal, nominated for several Oscars (and won two), is good and is currently free on Amazon Prime.