Film 2021

Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Re: Film 2021

Post by Marth »

Rosa wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:39 pm Sound of Metal, nominated for several Oscars (and won two), is good and is currently free on Amazon Prime.
I watched that yesterday. It was good I thought
Malan
Luna

Post by Luna »

Thunder force was harmless twaddle.
I watched premonition with Sandra Bullock and Rocketman yesterday. Premonition was okay and I loved Rocketman.

I watched Shirley today which was painful mainly due to the stupid dark lighting.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

Oooh Sound of Metal is definitely on my to watch list.

I am making a concerted effort to get through the things which have been on my Netflix to watch list, most of which has been there for months. Otherwise I tend to watch the same things over again. Since I am currently in the mood for schlocky horror, I am watching the fantastically awful Freddy vs Jason.
absley

Post by absley »

Kleio wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:08 pm Mitchell’s v the Machines on Netflix. It was such good fun and I haven’t laughed out loud that much for ages.
Really enjoyed this, thanks Kleio.
Pawpads

Post by Pawpads »

Turtle Bean wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:51 pm We didn't finish Thunderforce. It was dreadful.

I think it may have been obtained improperly but if you get a chance to watch Nobody please do. It's sort of John Wick ish and there is one particular scene which I won't spoil but honestly I will remember it on my death bed and still laugh.
I agree. We saw it last week and it's the first film that I've managed to watch without being distracted for a long time.
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

Rocks (on Netflix), about a black teenage girl and her younger brother, is really worth catching (although it's hard to watch at times). It was mainly shot in East London, with a 75% female crew, and the director (Sarah Gavron) cast almost exclusively non-professional actors.

It had several BAFTA nominations, and Bukky Bakray (who played the main character) won Most Promising Newcomer. It won Best Casting too.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Mortal Kombat

It was exactly what you'd expect from a violent film based on a computer game.
indigo

Post by indigo »

A Dark Song is on Netflix at the moment. Perfect if you like incredibly strange and intense films about ancient occult summoning rites. :mrgreen:
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

Rosa wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:50 am Rocks (on Netflix), about a black teenage girl and her younger brother, is really worth catching (although it's hard to watch at times). It was mainly shot in East London, with a 75% female crew, and the director (Sarah Gavron) cast almost exclusively non-professional actors.

It had several BAFTA nominations, and Bukky Bakray (who played the main character) won Most Promising Newcomer. It won Best Casting too.
I watched this when it first aired Rosa. Tough subject but wonderful performances.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Army of the Dead.

If you like gory zombies with dark humour and a good soundtrack this is the film for you. It was a lot of fun.
Pawpads

Post by Pawpads »

I agree, it was a fun film.

I also enjoyed Promising Young Woman.
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

We loved A Promising Young Woman. Best film I've seen in ages!
Livilla

Post by Livilla »

We all went to see Cruella today, and both Mr L and I loved it. It has Emmas Thompson and Stone clearly having a ball, a great soundtrack and some fantastic fashion - what’s not to love? :))
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I thought Army of the Dead was pants. The heist could have been way better and the zombies weren’t very special. It could have been a brilliant film and wasn’t.

Chunk got me to watch Baby Driver and that was really good.
Livilla

Post by Livilla »

Oh, we watched Army of the Dead too, Pip, and were equally disappointed. I agree it had such a great concept, but it just sputtered.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

Livilla wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:32 pm We all went to see Cruella today, and both Mr L and I loved it. It has Emmas Thompson and Stone clearly having a ball, a great soundtrack and some fantastic fashion - what’s not to love? :))
I saw this yesterday and we all loved it. I’d read a fairly poor review so had no expectations, but it was brilliant in a fashion fabulous sort of way!
Last edited by Flora Poste on Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blondiejude

Post by Blondiejude »

We loved cruella too Liv, I think it’s the first film both me, mr and S have all enjoyed. The soundtrack made it and whilst it was long it did hold S’s attention (I was worried she’d get wriggly/bored)

I came out wanting to be a fashion designer again. Given I can’t draw a straight line with a ruler I think this may be as unlikely as it was 20years ago! 😂
Livilla

Post by Livilla »

I was worried my S wouldn’t sit through it either, and while he did have some bits with wavering attention, he mostly was really engaged, even shouting out loudly “Oh, she’s wearing it!”at one point :lol:
Luce

Post by Luce »

Quiet Place 2 was so good. Especially the first 5 minutes. It was so cool to watch it in a cinema, too.
Livilla

Post by Livilla »

Not exactly a new film, but we watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood last night. I’d been actively putting it off, largely because I genuinely didn’t feel like watching a Tarantino movie that ended up with the awful, real-life murders of some of the key characters in the movie. But actually I really enjoyed it - it recreated an amazing world, the actors were all great, and the ending….was not at all what I was expecting. It was sad, and poignant (yet still involving his comic ultra-violence!) and was, I thought, really well done.