Film 2021

absley

Re: Film 2021

Post by absley »

Wiggle wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:14 am We watched Dune last night and thought it was a great adaptation. I have read most of the books and MrW has read them all. I was worried that it wouldn't work (given the previous attempts). The casting was nearly perfect and cinematography was amazing.
I really want them to make the second film to fully finish the story but they ended it at a good point.
All of this. I loved it so much - it was first time back in a cinema and it was a great film to return with
October 23 though! :cry: I need to get the books out again.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

I’m so looking forwards to this too. I’m supposed to be going with my movie buddy but he’s been suffering from a lurgy his little girl brought home from nursery and I don’t know when he wants to go. I don’t want to wait around forever though. If he doesn’t pull his finger out this week, I’ll go by myself.
Livilla

Post by Livilla »

Mr L and I watched Dune today and loved it. I honestly thought the three hours flew by. We had both read the books, but 35 years ago, so we only had the vaguest recollection of the story. It’s funny the things your brain retains though - the moment they started with the fear incantation I immediately remembered it. :lol: And I remembered what happened to a couple fo the key characters too, which were my favourites when I read the books.

I loved all the desert cinematography too - we say it on a huge imax-type screen and it was stunning.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

My mate is still lurgified so I'm tempted to have a half day on Friday and go and see it somewhere BIG. My brother saw it last night, loved it, and said he'd expect it to be up for all sorts of technical awards and that the cinematography was reminiscent of Lawrence of Arabia.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

I got tickets for the first showing of the new Ghostbusters movie here on the 18th.

I am such a :loser: that I booked myself one of the double “love” seats that are made for two, just for myself so I can be in luxury for it. I am so excited!
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

I went to see the new Bond film. I'm not really sure why. I just fancied going to the cinema again. Anyway, if you like that kind of thing then you'd probably like it.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

purple_dress wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:03 pm I went to see the new Bond film. I'm not really sure why. I just fancied going to the cinema again. Anyway, if you like that kind of thing then you'd probably like it.
Did you enjoy it, PD?
Malan
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

:)) It was OK. It's all kind of clichéd but that's the nature of Bond films, I guess. I wouldn't tell you all to rush out and go see it but if you're in the mood for some fairly mindless cheese it kind of does the job.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

purple_dress wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:23 pm :)) It was OK. It's all kind of clichéd but that's the nature of Bond films, I guess. I wouldn't tell you all to rush out and go see it but if you're in the mood for some fairly mindless cheese it kind of does the job.
Thanks, I probably won't but might be persuaded if there is nothing else on and the bloke wants ot see it. :))

Sb1 and his gf have gone to see Dune just now.
Malan
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

I'm booked in for Dune tomorrow now, at the SDL in the Director's Lounge :weewee: It wouldn't be my first choice of cinema from a convenience perspective but it's getting shunted from big screens tomorrow in my preferred cinemas due to Eternals opening.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

I saw Eternals yesterday and really enjoyed it. Definitely worth waiting for the end credits scenes too.
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

We went to see The Eternals yesterday and though it was average. It was too long and the story was meh. The end credits scene was the best bit! There are two by the way. Stay to the very end.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

We stayed to the very end and I have an earworm of 'you know nothing, Jon Snow'. :)) I quite enjoyed it, despite my whole 'The Boys has ruined me for superhero movies' thing. :)) I thought it was kind of nicely laid back and cleverly funny in places. I did have to occasionally nudge R and say 'that wasn't what Brian Cox said about how the universe was created.' And I was a bit amused by millennia old, universe spanning super beings being blessed with distinct Scottish/Irish accents. :))
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

I loved Dune. It was so absorbing, the time flew by. I remembered the fear incantation too as soon as it started, Liv. Probably the same number of years since I read it too. I'd forgotten how scary the Harkonnen's were. I wanted more worms but I am guessing that will be the next film when Paul does his training.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

I’m in Berlin this weekend (have I mentioned that enough?) on my own and since I don’t really do bars or fancy restaurants when I’m alone I took myself off to the cinema as there’s loads of US and British films shown in original version. I thought about Dune but went to see Last Night In Soho.

I really liked it but it was so odd! (And made me homesick for London) it starts as one type of film, turns into another and then a third. It was done really well and so clever technically
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

I saw The Eternals last night and I wish I’d left it until I could get it from Canada. It was ok but the plot holes and other things I won’t spoil really annoyed me.
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

Turtle Bean wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:48 pm We went to see The Eternals yesterday and though it was average. It was too long and the story was meh. The end credits scene was the best bit! There are two by the way. Stay to the very end.
I thought exactly the same, it was OK, but it wasn’t great.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Hobbes wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:04 pm
Turtle Bean wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:48 pm We went to see The Eternals yesterday and though it was average. It was too long and the story was meh. The end credits scene was the best bit! There are two by the way. Stay to the very end.
I thought exactly the same, it was OK, but it wasn’t great.
Me three.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Chunk gave it a lukewarm review. It was dreadful.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

We watched Shang-Chi yesterday since it’s on Disney+ now and loved it.