Film 2022

Hazey_Jane

Re: Film 2022

Post by Hazey_Jane »

I went to see Moonage Daydream. I’m really not sure how to describe it- concert footage of Dave Bowie splicer together with snippets from films he was in and tv shows. It starts off by showing lots of Ziggy Stardust footage, there’s a section about his life in Berlin, him in the 80s, a bit from ca. 1995 and then right at the end of his life.

It doesn’t give you any insight into his music or his life- there’s bits about his half brother and mother- but somehow you feel like you know him. I was lucky to see him live twice in concert, on his last tour with 15,000 other people but man I know how all those teenagers felt seeing him at the Hammersmith Palais or how my Dad did at the Camden Roundhouse 30+ years before me. It was really magical.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Has anyone seen Emily? My Mum wants to go, and I did inflict Nope on her, so it's probably payback. It just seems to sound a bit dramatic... I suppose it will have good scenery to look at, even if the rest of it is a bit mad.
Wiggle

Post by Wiggle »

We went to see The Woman King last night. It promised alot but only partly delivered. A great cast, interesting story line but spoiled an irrelevant love story and a few too many film clichés.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I saw Don’t Worry [COMMA] Darling this afternoon, and really enjoyed it. The ending was really abrupt though. So abrupt that I glanced away for a second and missed it :lol: :ruby:.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I saw Emily last night and my Mum was elbowing me about historical inaccuracies before we were even a minute in. :mog: It was perfectly enjoyable, clearly not rooted in any sort of historical reality, but it was pretty, occasionally funny and I thoroughly enjoyed going 'ooh, that's that bit above Hebdon!!' And there were curlews on the soundtrack. It goes on a bit, though. And I felt sorry for Branwell. But I always feel sorry for Branwell.

I suspect opinion will be divided between those who think Emily is swooningly wonderful and those who quite fancy giving her a bit of a slap, as per general opinion. It was also a bit mean to Charlotte. :))
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

The Munsters - I wanted to love it as the original tv series holds a special place in my heart but I can’t. It’s awful. I’m desperate to turn it off but Elf wants to watch it.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

Mrs Harris goes to Paris - it was lovely.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I’ve just seen The Triangle of Sadness, and it was SO good. Very funny. It seems to be on very limited release for some reason.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Skips wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:30 pm We saw Smile yesterday. It was OK, but quite predictable.
I was dying to see this, as the evil smile is something which has terrified me since I was small. I loved it at first but was very disappointed by the ending. They could have done SO much more with it.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

We went to see Lyle Lyle Crocodile this week - it was ok but definitely not a patch on Paddington as I’d seen it compared to.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

Ella77 wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:18 pm I’ve just seen The Triangle of Sadness, and it was SO good. Very funny. It seems to be on very limited release for some reason.
Ooh I’ve been dithering about going to see that tomorrow at the OV cinema here, which has an even more limited release! Mark Kermode didn’t rave about it but it is from the director of Force Majeur which I liked a lot.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Bits of it were extremely funny. There was one horrible animal-related bit, but otherwise I really enjoyed it. I must admit I’d never heard of it until they discussed it on one of the podcasts I listen to.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

I’ve got that on my list, Ella. Glad it has a positive review!

I saw Everything Everywhere finally, years after everyone else, and loved it. Also Blind Ambition about Zimbabwean sommeliers - brilliant. And two French films - Eiffel and The Test, both of which I enjoyed.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

We just saw Black Adam. It was a bit ridiculous but not the worst DC film I’ve ever seen.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

We're just back from seeing The Shining which was showing at our local cinema - I've seen it several times before but really enjoyed it on the big screen. It was the American release as well which I'd not seen before, so we then spent 20 minutes working out the extra scenes!
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Wakanda Forever.

I cried twice. They dealt with his death beautifully. I don’t want to say more in case of spoilers but I loved it.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

It was really good. I wasn’t moved enough to cry, but it was well done.

The whole fight first talk later thing in Hollywood movies is getting to me, having seen Black Adam recently. It says so much about America.
Luce

Post by Luce »

I cried a couple of times. The boys both really loved it too. It was long but moved quickly, I think. I’m unsure if the new Black Panther is even a touch on the old one, though (trying not to spoiler)
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

The Menu, which I thoroughly enjoyed. The trailers led me to thinking it would be one type of film which it then turned out not to be. The cinema listing had it as a horror which it wasn’t for me, but very, very dark comedy.

Nicholas Hoult has really glowed up since being the annoying kid in About A Boy and I have such a crush on Anja Taylor Joy- she is mesmerizing in everything I’ve seen her in. But Ralph Fiennes- after Harry Potter I can’t see him as anything but Voldemort now.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Anya Taylor-Joy always looks like her own doll. (How was The Menu in terms of bad things happening to animals? The trailer made me think I should probably skip it, but I do want to see it.)