Film 2022

ParisGal

Re: Film 2022

Post by ParisGal »

This isn't a new film (2019). We watched Portrait of a Young Lady on Fire last night and it was beautiful. Slow and atmospheric, so avoid if you'll be irritated by long wordless close ups of faces displaying growing emotions, but we both really enjoyed it. Not least because there are hardly any men in it :lol:
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed watching a fantastically dreadful film in Netflix called Bloodbath at the House of Death.

It’s from 1984 and stars Kenny Everett and Vincent Price, together with a prominent cameo from Barry Cryer who co-wrote the script. It’s like a Carry On film crossed with the original versions of the Wicker Man and Carrie and it clearly influenced Hot Fuzz. It is laugh out loud funny.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Hazey_Jane wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:33 pm Licorice Pizza. That was as mad as box of frogs.
I concur. It was very watchable despite being totally unbelievable.
Skips

Post by Skips »

We went and saw Unchartered today. It was enjoyable enough but I didn't like Tom Holland being cast as Nathan Drake.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Hazey_Jane wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:34 pm I’ve thoroughly enjoyed watching a fantastically dreadful film in Netflix called Bloodbath at the House of Death.

It’s from 1984 and stars Kenny Everett and Vincent Price, together with a prominent cameo from Barry Cryer who co-wrote the script. It’s like a Carry On film crossed with the original versions of the Wicker Man and Carrie and it clearly influenced Hot Fuzz. It is laugh out loud funny.
This sounds brilliant!

My friend and I watched The Lost Daughter last night. I think if I'd known it was an Elena Ferrante I wouldn't have bothered as I am not a fan, but it was beautifully shot.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

Slightly more modern and relevant to wider Turtle tastes- On The Rocks. Rashida Jones and her dad Bill Murray run around New York to a jazz soundtrack trying to figure out if her husband is having an affair. It’s pure Sophia Coppola- beautifully shot and acted. The kids are especially delightful and Bill Murray is at his best older Bill Murrayish.
Livilla

Post by Livilla »

Skips wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:02 pm We went and saw Unchartered today. It was enjoyable enough but I didn't like Tom Holland being cast as Nathan Drake.
We saw this today too. I enjoyed it, but Mr L, who has played the games, felt both leads were miscast. I liked them! I did laugh at this review I read of it, though: “watchable in a 'Raiders of the Lost National Treasure of the Fast & Furious Caribbean' way”. :lol:
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

We all watched Shazam yesterday and thought it was a great watch (from Marvel fans who find most DC a bit dull or avoid!).

Nightmare Alley was pretty dull tonight. I’m glad I didn’t pay to see it.I’ve half minded to see if I can find the original, but at the same time am not that interested. :lol:
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

Hazey_Jane wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:33 pm Slightly more modern and relevant to wider Turtle tastes- On The Rocks. Rashida Jones and her dad Bill Murray run around New York to a jazz soundtrack trying to figure out if her husband is having an affair. It’s pure Sophia Coppola- beautifully shot and acted. The kids are especially delightful and Bill Murray is at his best older Bill Murrayish.
I’ve been playing the queue dance with this on Apple+ for ages. I might give it a go thanks to your positive review!
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

I went to see The Godfather last night as part of the 50th Anniversary since its release. I'm a big fan of the film anyway, but not seen it for about 10 years and never at the cinema, and I'd forgotten just how brilliant it is. I really struggled to find a moment to nip to the loo as there just isn't a redundant moment or any filler.
Pawpads

Post by Pawpads »

Livilla wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:54 pm
Skips wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:02 pm We went and saw Unchartered today. It was enjoyable enough but I didn't like Tom Holland being cast as Nathan Drake.
We saw this today too. I enjoyed it, but Mr L, who has played the games, felt both leads were miscast. I liked them! I did laugh at this review I read of it, though: “watchable in a 'Raiders of the Lost National Treasure of the Fast & Furious Caribbean' way”. :lol:
As a massive Unchartered fan / nerd, I wasn't sure that I wanted to see the film but I went in the end last night.

I thought it was ok and I think the actors will grow into the roles if there are more films to be made. I had bigger issues with the backstory. How Nate got the ring ad how he first met Sully was total nonsense in the film. But I can't argue with the review that Liv has posted.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

I finally watched Free Guy last night and it was good fun. It manages to stay family friendly despite some very knowing jokes (as you’d expect from Ryan Reynolds) and skirting around some fruitier language. It looked really good and picked up on the gaming/real-life crossover where Ready Player One left off.

I wish they’d made the best friend character a bit less of a parody of a slightly camp black man but that’s a quibble most probably wouldn’t pick up. Also I don’t really understand the mad wig Jodie Comer’s in-game character has - it seems to get worse throughout the film. Maybe that’s also a joke? Haha :look:
Skips

Post by Skips »

We went and saw The Batman. It was long, very long and I got bored. Colin Farrel was excellent though as was Robert Pattinson.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

I'm cross as I wanted to see Cyrano but didn't go last weekend as I was seeing the Godfather and didn't want to go to the cinema twice. Only now my local cinema isn't showing it as it has 5 screenings a day of The Batman instead.
Luce

Post by Luce »

T took F to see Batman and they both loved it. F was absolutely desperate but now is very full of himself because they had big signs up everywhere reminding people it is a 15 (not 12A) and he walked in just fine. I mean, not super great parenting but you know :))
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

Flora Poste wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:12 pm I'm cross as I wanted to see Cyrano but didn't go last weekend as I was seeing the Godfather and didn't want to go to the cinema twice. Only now my local cinema isn't showing it as it has 5 screenings a day of The Batman instead.
I went to see it this afternoon and it was only on in the small-chain Scott Cinemas venue and not in the multiplexes or even the Everyman, which I’d have thought would be a good shout. Since it only came out on 25 Feb, that’s pretty shitty, one week of showings.

Anyway, it was good and I cried a fair bit (just call me Digs). Reading reviews when I got home formalised some of my thoughts on it, which I won’t spoiler here.

I hadn’t even known before I went that it was going to be a musical, and now I know that the stage musical on which it’s based (and the film screenplay) were written by Peter Dinklage’s wife, and that the woman playing Roxanne (who, like Dinklage, originated the stage show) is the director Joe Wright’s other half. It’s all who you know, eh?

Dinklage is marvellous by the way.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Luce wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:40 pm T took F to see Batman and they both loved it. F was absolutely desperate but now is very full of himself because they had big signs up everywhere reminding people it is a 15 (not 12A) and he walked in just fine. I mean, not super great parenting but you know :))
:)) It’s Chunk who wants to see it here and no way will he pass, so we’re waiting for streaming.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

We watched West Side Story (skipping over one bit I sensed was coming - not sure if it’s in the original as I’ve never seen it in full).

Elvis now knows what preposterous means (she was outraged at the speed of the relationship developing and all the DRAMA :lol: ), Sproglette enjoyed it and was interested in the changes made - or not - in the adaptation from R&J. I got bored but do have an America ear worm.
Froozy

Post by Froozy »

I really enjoyed The Batman, although the middle bit felt very slow. I’m still quite unsettled that Zoe Kravitz didn’t shut her fridge though.

I especially liked that RPat looked like a young Snape.
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Went to see The Phantom of the Open today. If you like feelgood British eccentric type films (Eddie The Eagle, Full Monty) it's firmly in that category and the American interviewer at the start and end is not bad. :))