Currently reading

Heebie Jeebie

Re: Currently reading

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

I've just finished Normal People, but didn't particularly enjoy it.

Prior to that I read Trains and Lovers, by Alexander McCall Smith. Really loved that and it was so easy to read.

Now I'm reading A Field Guide to Lies and Statistics by Daniel Levitin. The title sounds dull but it's really fascinating and all about how to interpret the stats we're presented with, and ways they are mispresented to trick us.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I’ve just finished How Do You Like Me Now?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074ZQ22GV/ ... TF8&btkr=1

It was like she was inside my head. I loved it but it gave me some uncomfortable flashbacks to a past life as well. Brilliantly written. (I’m conscious that not everybody here will like it, but I really did.)
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I’ll put it on my list.

I’ve just finished Inferior, which made me really angry, in a sort of good way. Have you read it, Ella? If not I am sending it you because I think it’s right up your street.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I haven’t. It sounds interesting but also anger-inducing. (I’m that note, I’ve just started Hormonal (this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07M85P74V/ ... TF8&btkr=1 ). I know how to have fun, alright :)).
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Heebie Jeebie wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:49 pm I've just finished Normal People, but didn't particularly enjoy it.
I haven't enjoyed either of hers, and keep thinking I'm missing something as everyone raves about them. :(
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Lily wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:55 am
Heebie Jeebie wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:49 pm I've just finished Normal People, but didn't particularly enjoy it.
I haven't enjoyed either of hers, and keep thinking I'm missing something as everyone raves about them. :(
I've only read Conversations with Friends, and I didnt like it. I don't think you're necessarily missing anything, I think she's over hyped
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

Ella77 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:27 pm I’ve just finished How Do You Like Me Now?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074ZQ22GV/ ... TF8&btkr=1

It was like she was inside my head. I loved it but it gave me some uncomfortable flashbacks to a past life as well. Brilliantly written. (I’m conscious that not everybody here will like it, but I really did.)
I just picked this up from the library so it's next on the to read list.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I’d be interested to know what you think!
AshleyX

Post by AshleyX »

I downloaded How Do You Like Me Now on your recommendation, Ella, and have raced through it (am knackered as I stayed up too late finishing it, always a good sign!). I loved it too, thanks. I did find the ending ever-so-slightly rushed, though. Maybe just because I wanted more!
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

I am reading Afterlife, by Sean O’Brian. The plot is a bit slow, but it is beautifully written.

Lines from it keep popping into my head like lines from poems - maybe not surprising as he is a poet, but I love that in a book.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Oh, and kindle owners who also have Amazon Prime can download 2 free books (from a limited selection) before the end of the month.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I like the sound of that Morgs; I'll check it out.

I am on Paper Ghosts by Julia Heaberlin who wrote Black Eyed Susans. It is good but rather slow.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I’m reading What Alice Forgot so I searched to see if it had been mentioned and I read it in 2011. I obviously don’t remember it, which is amusing as the plot is about a woman with amnesia. :lol:
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

:lol: I have read that too but can only vaguely remember it. This is why Goodreads is invaluable for me.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I'm also reading What Alice Forgot. But I know I haven't read it before.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

I am reading The Wives by Lauren Weisberger - it's a bit shit but I am near the end.
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

Ella77 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:59 am I’d be interested to know what you think!
Finished thanks to a childfree day off yesterday! I feel a bit old to have been the target audience because I just don't get the pressure from social media, though I know it exists, and I've never really considered what anyone else is doing when I ended relationships. I really liked that the ending wasn't a typical happy ending (don't want to spoiler) that you usually see in chick lit, for me that was the strongest part. Overall I enjoyed it, and was glad I managed to get past it being written in the present tense which is a real hate of mine.

Now reading The Glasgow Coma Scale by Neil Stewart. I'm only 3 chapters in but not set on fire yet. I'll give it a bit longer though.
dizzyd
Englebert Humperdizz

Post by dizzyd »

I'm weaning myself back in with some YA fiction as they are easy reads

First was Theodore Boone The Abduction which is a series John Grisham has written for tweens I assume

Currently trying Bella Forrest who has written loads of magic books and I've just started the Harley Merlin series which is really gripping me and is right up my street
My nail blog - you can also link to my instagram account through there
http://naildart.blogspot.co.uk
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I finished What Alice Forgot and cried through most of it. I’m not entirely sure why.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I felt a bit for the eldest girl. I have quite a pile of her books now, as they all seemed to come into the library at the same time.

I have the field guide that you’re reading too Heebs, thanks!