On Your Bookshelf

sally maclennane

Re: On Your Bookshelf

Post by sally maclennane »

I finished Scrublands last night, I thought it was a good story but I found the main character a bit annoying, and self indulgent.

I downloaded a sample of the new Marian Keyes book and am liking it so far so I think I'll buy that now.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Lily wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:32 amThe Five was very good, but her theories have been entirely dismissed by Ripperologists, mainly because she seemed to be rather selective about the evidence she used. Horribly readable, though.
Yeah, I saw some of that dismissal happening. It wasn't edifying. Obviously, I am in no position to make a judgement, being neither a historian or a Ripperologist but God 'Ripperologist' gives me the boke. Seeing as it means someone, usually a man, who is slaveringly taken with a criminal whose only concrete *thing* is the evisceration of 'alleged' prostitutes. So I am very much in the fair play to her for writing it and sticking one up them camp. :mrgreen:
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

There are people utterly obsessed with it, which I do find odd. But their dismissing of her theory seemed solid, as she had purposely not paid attention to some of the witness statements - which is a bit silly, as they were all out there for everyone to see. Her belief that there was no one Ripper intrigues me more than her belief none of the victims were prostitutes as I think the former is more founded in actuality than the latter.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

I've just listened to the first part on Audible. I don't actually care if it's 'true'. It paints a chilling picture of life without a safety net, and the real impact of Victorian values, which is getting more relevant by the day.

I agree that the obsession with it is a bit strange, but at the same time, people do get hung up on unsolved crimes and mysteries of all kinds. I think it's human nature to want closure on things.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Yes, I think her point is that the women matter, not the man who killed them. I did a Ripper Walk a few years ago and the guy focused on the history of the area and the women. He said the killer was irrelevant. I liked that way of doing it as it was very respectful of the victims. A book my (ex) friend gave me had the Mary Kelly photo on the front cover which is abhorrent, degrading and wrong on so many levels. It's not like I could give it to a charity shop either! I put it in the recycling.

The women have become less than human. So anything which fights that is a good thing.

FiveO'Clock

Post by FiveO'Clock »

Ella77 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:36 pm
Bel Canto, which won the Orange prize way back when. Weird, weird, weird. Felt like nothing happened but also so much happened.
That's a very good description. I loved the writing and met Ann Patchett, who was very nice.

I'm looking for a book set in present day Edinburgh to read on the plane to Edinburgh. :) Any recommendations?
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

One Good Turn by Kate Atkinson is set in Edinburgh at festival time.

I just found this link too, 10 of the best… https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2011 ... -edinburgh
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

You met her? Cool.

Is One Day suitable for the Edinburgh book? It’s been a while so I might be wrong.
FiveO'Clock

Post by FiveO'Clock »

Both good suggestions, thank you. I'll have a look at the link too!

Ann Pratchett was at a book signing at the local university ages ago, and we were able to stay after for a chat.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

The Bob Skinner books are excellent and set in Edinburgh.

I read the Whisper Man which was excellent and terrifying. Ghosts and a child killer, perfect! Highly recommended.
Lola

Post by Lola »

I’ve just finished The Sea of Lost Love by Santa Montefiore (I think). It wasn’t brilliant but it was really good escapism. Lots of rich people & nice scenery.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I finished My Brilliant Friend and the haters were right.
indigo

Post by indigo »

Pip - The Red Queen arrived yesterday and I'm looking forward to getting stuck in.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I have just devoured Platform Seven by Louise Doughty. It was one of those books that you just want to gulp down. I'm now on Mary Ann Sate: Imbecile by Alice Jolly. It's written in free verse, and it's bloody big. I hope that I can persevere with it as it is well written but it's a bit full on.

Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

I've just finished The Diary of a Provincial Lady - the edition I've got is 4 books in one so I've read them gradually and I definitely enjoyed the first couple the best, but they were all really good. I feel really pearl-clutchy saying it, but I've been through a spate of reading books which seemed to have a lot of sex in recently, so it was really nice to read something completely different.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

indigo wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:31 am Pip - The Red Queen arrived yesterday and I'm looking forward to getting stuck in.
Yay! Beab liked it too.

I’m reading The Long Drop by Denise Mina.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I've just put the Louise Doughty on reserve.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I’ve finished The Long Drop already. It was very atmospheric.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I finished Grown Ups in about 4 days! It helped that I was away with work for a couple of days and had some time to read. I liked it although the main character annoyed me a lot!

Now I am reading Where the Crawdads Sing, it is really well written but quite sad and I suspect it won't get cheerier :(
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Ismee

Post by Ismee »

I finished that on Friday, Sal. I loved it.