On Your Bookshelf

Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Re: On Your Bookshelf

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I liked A Spool of Blue Thread, it was very similar to The Most Fun We Ever Had, in that the house was also a character essentially.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I've just read the latest J D Kirks; they are often on Kindle Unlimited, and I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed them. I now have the new Caitlin Moran, out of the library.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

It'll be the same as all of her others, Lily. :))

I'm rereading Wolf Hall with the hope of getting to the final time to read over Christmas.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Yes, she's getting quite hackneyed and her voice which was once a breath of fresh air grates a little now.

I got The Mirror & the Light the day before lockdown & was annoyed because I "didn't have time" to re-read the first two. Every cloud!

Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Can't bear her now.

I've just finished The Expectations by Alexander Tilney. It's not available on Kindle, which is annoying, but I fucking loved it. Really evocative.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

Lily wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:39 am Yes, she's getting quite hackneyed and her voice which was once a breath of fresh air grates a little now.

I got The Mirror & the Light the day before lockdown & was annoyed because I "didn't have time" to re-read the first two. Every cloud!
She seems to have one story to tell which she's told so far in about 4 books, a TV show and a film. WE GET IT.

Ha! I'm very much enjoying rereading it, I'd forgotten how "real" she makes the historical figures.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

You're spot on with Caitlin both of you; I couldn't finish it. She's trying just too hard. On to the Secret Barrister: Fake Law. I follow them on Twitter and it's fascinating stuff.

I went into full mourning when I finished The Mirror Lazz - I couldn't read anything else for a bit, I missed Thomas so much. (I'm figuring you know how it ends and I'm not spoilering :look: )

Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

I'm over Caitlin as well - try hard is the right word - with a touch of 'I'm crazy, me'.

I'm reading Shuggie Bain at the moment and it's brilliant, but sad and hard to read at the same time.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I want to read that, FloPo, I'm fascinated by his (author) story, and I think the book is semi autobiographical.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

Haha, not to worry about spoilers, my ma was similarly sad to reach the end and put it off for as long as she could. :))

I want to read that as well, Flora and sal. My to read list is getting ridiculous despite all the reading time I'm finding in lockdown.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

lazzbo wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:23 pm I want to read that as well, Flora and sal.
And me!

I read Redhead by the Side of the Road in a day and loved it. I'm now reading One Hit Wonder by Lisa Jewell; it's enjoyable so far but quite slow, so I hope it picks up.

I have lost my Kindle (somewhere in the house) which is severely inhibiting my reading :verm:
Lola

Post by Lola »

I found Caitlin annoying right from the start of that first book she did a few years ago.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

I finally read Gone Girl a million years after everyone else. Both characters irritated me greatly - what egos!
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

I'm listening to Shuggie Bain on Audible, as my inability to read hasn't left me. I really hope it goes at the end of 2020 along with all the other curses and plagues that the year has ushered in.

Anyway, the Audible reading is good, and I am enjoying it. I plan to listen to a few chapters tonight.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

I've just finished Shuggie Bain and I feel a bit wrung out emotionally. It was excellent though. Sal - I'm also quite fascinated by the author.
Pawpads

Post by Pawpads »

I had completely lost my reading mojo but just read Win by Harlan Coben in one sitting so maybe it's back.
I don't think I've ever managed to finish a Caitlin Moran book. She's far too annoying for me. I have a few Christmassy books to read next but am holding off until December for those.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Tana French: Faithful Place. I devoured it in two days. Brilliant stuff.

Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I forced myself to finish Hamnet. Beautifully written and devastating.
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Kenickie wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:21 am
Loralei wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:33 am
Cerise wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:30 am
Loralei wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:51 am Nights at the Circus is one of my favourite books ever :love:

I've just finished The Map of Us, which was a sweet story, well done. I didn't realise until I'd finished that Jules Preston is a man, and that I tend to avoid Male authors.
Is The Map of Us soothing? I’ve read a few emotionally fraught books in a row and need something else!
I am reading Three Hours by Rosamund Lupton, which is about a school siege based in Somerset. I read half of it last night and had to force myself to put it down, it's so gripping. I think I've guessed the twist re the who, but suspect it may be a double one, and there's still loads about the why I haven't a clue about. (Dont read this one next, Cerise :)) )
Three Hours was brilliant, thanks for the recommendation. It made me cry a LOT though.
Just finished this. Could not put it down.
Lola

Post by Lola »

I’ve just finished Grace Dent’s memoir called Hungry, which was wonderful. Everyone should read it :)) Christmas is a good time to read it too.