The Book Nook

Little My

Re: The Book Nook

Post by Little My »

I just finished The Southern Book Club's Guide To Slaying Vampires by Grady Hendrix. It's basically Steel Magnolias meets Dracula.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I’ve got that on my to read list.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

I've just finished Moonflower Murders - it was good, but I think I enjoyed Magpie Murders more. It just felt quite long and I got a bit fed up with the book within a book thing. I wonder if he'll do any more? I'll probably read them as they are clever.
Last edited by Flora Poste on Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I was wondering whether to read that. I enjoyed Magpie Murders.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

If you enjoyed Magpie Murders, I think you'll enjoy it. I was just thinking that he's very clever when he writes as, despite loads of characters across the book within a book set up, I didn't really get confused as to who was who and what had happened. Compared to Thursday Murder Club when I was still a bit lost by the end.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I'm reading Little Girl Lost which is a detective novel set in Derry. It's okay but I don't like the lead character much, she's quite annoying and the story is a bit depressing.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I'm on When She Was Good by Laura Lippmann. I love her stuff as a rule but the last one I read was so rubbish I'm a bit nervous of it.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Pootle
Topaz Titanium

Post by Pootle »

Ella77 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:00 pm Klara and the Sun was a bit bleak. I know his books usually are, but still.
It was definitely bleak (it reminded me of Never Let Me Go) but I like the fact that he doesn't spell out from the start exactly what's happening in the world and leaves you to work it out a bit. I really enjoyed it anyway.

I also finished the Graham Norton which was good, but not as good as his others. Next I'm on to Crooked Heart by Lissa Evans - I loved Old Baggage so trying more.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Yes, it was very like Never Let Me Go. No spoilers, but that ending :cry:.
Pootle
Topaz Titanium

Post by Pootle »

I know :cry: . He is such a beautiful writer.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

Pootle wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:11 pm
Ella77 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:00 pm Klara and the Sun was a bit bleak. I know his books usually are, but still.
I also finished the Graham Norton which was good, but not as good as his others. Next I'm on to Crooked Heart by Lissa Evans - I loved Old Baggage so trying more.
Was that HomeStretch? I got that for Christmas and while I liked the story was a bit perplexed at the amount of gay men in such a small village - obviously all keeping it a secret (that bit I understood)
Pootle
Topaz Titanium

Post by Pootle »

That's the one! And it was clear from fairly early on what the 'twist' would be - was it even supposed to be a twist? - about the accident and the day of it.
Pawpads

Post by Pawpads »

I've just finished A Darker Shade of Magic about a million years after everyone else.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I have finished Shogun. :frolic: It took me a month and there was a slight risk at one point where it might have gone the same way as Anna Karenina as I got to within 8o pages of the end and didn't pick it back up again for a week. I am now 1. an expert of 16th C Japan and 2. have no idea where to go next.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Bat Macdui wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:34 am I've just finished Our Fathers by Rebecca Wait and feel compelled to tell you all it's very good. if I were a reviewer I'd say stuff like 'sparse prose, beautifully observed, devastating'. Etc.

I shall now go back to reading loads of run of the mill crime. :))
I finally got this from the library. I’m enjoying it so far, if enjoying is the right word. It’s been pretty brutal.
AshleyX

Post by AshleyX »

I also read Our Fathers on your recommendation, Bats, so thanks - your description is exactly the type of book I love. It was pretty brutal, though.

I 'liked' it so much that I read another one by her, The View On The Way Down. Jesus. It was so well written, but harrowing. I can't face another of hers for a while, I don't think! I do prefer neat, happy endings, I think, even if they're not realistic.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

I’ve just finished the Appeal by Janice Hallett. I thought it was a really interesting concept, perhaps a bit clunky in places but I thought it was a very good read.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Several people have read The Interestings... does it get any more, er, interesting? I'm very tempted to bin it off. I have The Silkworm instead.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

AshleyX wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:06 amI 'liked' it so much that I read another one by her, The View On The Way Down. Jesus. It was so well written, but harrowing. I can't face another of hers for a while, I don't think! I do prefer neat, happy endings, I think, even if they're not realistic.
I was thinking of picking another of hers up next but I might have a little holiday into mindless crime before I do, after all the death involved in 16th C Japan. :)) Though I discovered the other day a new Guy Gavriel Kay came out last year when I wasn't paying attention, that might do.
AshleyX

Post by AshleyX »

I'd definitely recommend a wee break! I've just downloaded the new Mhairi Macfarlane, which I think will be the perfect antidote.